ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Will I get a stage 1?
-
Lawrencepa2014
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Will I get a stage 1?
Basically I was off sick on my 2nd/3rd week of starting for one day. 5 months later (today) I was off sick and going back tomorrow. Will this be a stage 1? And is it automatic or might they give me a chance?
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Will I get a stage 1?
More than likely you will get a stage. 
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Will I get a stage 1?
Did you have a back to work interview on the first absence?
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Will I get a stage 1?
Your best argument would be, to argue that this is the absolute minimum number of days to potentially trigger a stage 1. That you are almost finished your trial period (I believe it's 6 months, correct me if I'm wrong), and so it's unfortunate your illness landed where it did, another couple of weeks and you wouldn't have been anywhere near a stage. Also, you might want to ask your manager, what happens to the stage 2 standard if you finish your trial on a stage. Does trialist rules still apply, or would it default to permanent staff stage 2 standards.Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Basically I was off sick on my 2nd/3rd week of starting for one day. 5 months later (today) I was off sick and going back tomorrow. Will this be a stage 1? And is it automatic or might they give me a chance?
Make sure notice of any formal attendance review meeting, is provided with 3 days advanced written warning, and that you have the opportunity to take a rep with you.
Knowing Royal Mail, Most likely you've been working beyond your contracted hours? and picking up extra days here and there, use that as your mitigating circumstances. Also if you have been off for a single day, but have still worked your contract hours that week, again stress that point as a mitigating factor.
Also make sure correct procedures were followed, ask for a copy of the attendance policy, if you don't have one. Part of the policy states that employees must be made aware of the standards, so your manager will want to provide this.
Stages aren't supposed to be "automatic", there is a procedure to be followed, and you do actually have the opportunity to make your case, they should be considered on an individual basis. Some people on here might just say, suck it up and take the stage no quibbles, I always tell people it's worth fighting your case, if you think it's harsh or unjustified. Any decent manager, should let you off with the first one, if you're getting on well with the job, and it's only very marginally going to trigger a stage.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Will I get a stage 1?
Trialist get 2 absences or 7 days in 6 months.97gaz wrote:Will a new start trigger a stage for having 2 one day absences in five months? I knew the procedure was a bit tougher for new starts but 2x1 days in five months is a bit s**t.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.