ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wet PDA's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by eastie »

Doing one of my Post boxes the other day in torrential rain my PDA crashed and details of my boxes to scan had been wiped from my PDA after reboot.
I photographed the barcode with my mobile phone to prove I emptied it with it showing the time etc.
When back at work to tell the DOM the PDA crashed and I was rescanning my PDA in the office and was scanning my barcode picture to put the box details as being done and he said I should drive 5 miles to the box to redo it. I told him no as it is after my finish time and it was a PDA failure.
Anyone had a similar problem like this?
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Wet PDA's

Post by twoloops »

Just scan the barcode inside the box, add your number & the 6 noughts, press submit, sorted :angel
bowie
Posts: 206
Joined: 01 Mar 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by bowie »

Oh yes the great pda,s**t in the rain,my manager says there good lol
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Wet PDA's

Post by maisymoo04 »

Had loads of trouble with mine hate them please reboot rex x please scan all ppi ?????? haha :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by scoobydo79 »

The trick is to pop the battery out and whipe out any water with tissue.Its a pain doing it but it really works
FAB
Posts: 234
Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by FAB »

Why do the bleeps go quiet when it gets wet? It's always a bad sign :roll:
work
Posts: 231
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by work »

eastie wrote:Doing one of my Post boxes the other day in torrential rain my PDA crashed and details of my boxes to scan had been wiped from my PDA after reboot.
I photographed the barcode with my mobile phone to prove I emptied it with it showing the time etc.
When back at work to tell the DOM* the PDA crashed and I was rescanning my PDA in the office and was scanning my barcode picture to put the box details as being done and he said I should drive 5 miles to the box to redo it. I told him no as it is after my finish time and it was a PDA failure.
Anyone had a similar problem like this?
Q.) wHAT EXACTLY...LIKE THE TURD OF A MANAGER YOU HAD TO DEAL WITH...OR THE NAFF PROCEDURES AND EQUIPMENT...?
A.) ALL OF THE ABOVE...DAILY...HENCE THE 97.1% who also agree that change will NOT happen without us ALL being consulted, ya *feckers (management is a costly and demoralising joke- Hey, FatRico target them feckers and you might just win us over to some POSITIVE changes)... :cool

:dance :dance :dance :dance I told him :funneh no as it is after my finish time :left: ...nice one, let's hope he gets used to this phrasing of your undying support for his 'management-style'...considering he got £1000 bonus for being a shite-whore-k, let's hope he has a wonderful christmas with all of our 97.1% backing. :coolr
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Wet PDA's

Post by maisymoo04 »

:silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Mr Rush
Posts: 3347
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by Mr Rush »

I would advise against photographing collection barcodes. If it becomes known to management and you have an issue while performing a collection, it potentially implies you aren't clearing the box. A colleague got suspended for a collection mixup that he tried to resolve by scanning a photo of the barcode he had on hand.
The machine stops.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by Celgar »

Mr Rush wrote:I would advise against photographing collection barcodes. If it becomes known to management and you have an issue while performing a collection, it potentially implies you aren't clearing the box. A colleague got suspended for a collection mixup that he tried to resolve by scanning a photo of the barcode he had on hand.
The issue of scanning photos of barcodes in postboxes was raised by our DOM recently as there were a couple of instances of this happening in our DO. Not quite sure how but it appears RM can detect this has happened as opposed to the physical barcode inside the box being scanned. It used to be possible, I think with the previous PDAs, to type in the barcode letters & numbers from the postbox barcodes but this does not work either. I think there was a genuine reason for it happening in our DO but it's another heads up that the 'police state' system within RM is increasing with a complete lack of trust by RM in the workforce.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:
Mr Rush wrote:I would advise against photographing collection barcodes. If it becomes known to management and you have an issue while performing a collection, it potentially implies you aren't clearing the box. A colleague got suspended for a collection mixup that he tried to resolve by scanning a photo of the barcode he had on hand.
The issue of scanning photos of barcodes in postboxes was raised by our DOM recently as there were a couple of instances of this happening in our DO. Not quite sure how but it appears RM can detect this has happened as opposed to the physical barcode inside the box being scanned. It used to be possible, I think with the previous PDAs, to type in the barcode letters & numbers from the postbox barcodes but this does not work either. I think there was a genuine reason for it happening in our DO but it's another heads up that the 'police state' system within RM is increasing with a complete lack of trust by RM in the workforce.
They might be using the GPS location if the photo has been scanned away from the box location
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by Deadly »

I thought the barcode could still be scanned without a collection route, scan it and add it as an adhoc collection.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by yellowbelly »

Deadly wrote:I thought the barcode could still be scanned without a collection route, scan it and add it as an adhoc collection.
That works for me.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by Celgar »

yellowbelly wrote:
Deadly wrote:I thought the barcode could still be scanned without a collection route, scan it and add it as an adhoc collection.
That works for me.
Yes that can still be done if for example there are problems downloading the collections onto the PDA. Nothing wrong with doing adhoc collections and you cannot get in trouble for doing that.

The issue was raised by our DOM again the other day regarding the OP. Another managerial bod further up the chain let our DOM know that the office acceptance code to say all postboxes had been emptied was done on one PDA just a minute after the last postbox was emptied. Given all but one of our walks are rural this is impossible to achieve. I think there is a reason for it happening in our DO and some confusion over what has happened. Nevertheless it has been pointed out to us it isn't a good idea to take a photo of postbox barcodes on your mobile phone then to scan that photo with the PDA. I don't own a mobile phone so I don't know if this is possible to do but it's a heads up to not do this anyway.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
DE72
Posts: 4
Joined: 04 May 2010, 13:40
Gender: Male

Wet PDA's

Post by DE72 »

I would have stood in front of him and gone down the PDA option menu to Scanning Issue, clicked that and said, "there, done it. See ya!"