ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lawrencepa2014
Posts: 98
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
Gender: Male

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by Lawrencepa2014 »

I’m on probation and I’ve had 2 1 day sickness absences in maybe a week under 6 months period (my probation has been extended by 3 months) I’m now really worried I’ll be put on stage 1. Is this something to worry about? I hear it’s pretty easy to get through probation but i feel like with the already extension and having possibly a stage 1 I’ve really put my foot in it. Will I likely survive this?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by number one »

Lawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m on probation and I’ve had 2 1 day sickness absences in maybe a week under 6 months period (my probation has been extended by 3 months) I’m now really worried I’ll be put on stage 1. Is this something to worry about? I hear it’s pretty easy to get through probation but i feel like with the already extension and having possibly a stage 1 I’ve really put my foot in it. Will I likely survive this?
You really need to stop worrying, they’ll only get rid of you for gross misconduct
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by Trail »

number one wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m on probation and I’ve had 2 1 day sickness absences in maybe a week under 6 months period (my probation has been extended by 3 months) I’m now really worried I’ll be put on stage 1. Is this something to worry about? I hear it’s pretty easy to get through probation but i feel like with the already extension and having possibly a stage 1 I’ve really put my foot in it. Will I likely survive this?
You really need to stop worrying, they’ll only get rid of you for gross misconduct
This is about right. ^^^^ They'll bend the rules to keep you. No-one fails probation unless they're complete and absolute f**kheads.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by GT85 »

unless they're complete and absolute f**kheads.
in which case they get fast tracked up the career ladder. :wink:
We're all here because we're not all there
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by Route1 »

number one wrote:You really need to stop worrying, they’ll only get rid of you for gross misconduct
See above

We've employed ppl who are obviously not up to the job & they've had absences during probation. No-one wants to work with them but they are still employed cos they havent been thieving.

Its not easy to employee the right people and its cost a bit in time & £££.

Your job is safe
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by Newbie001 »

Know quite a few who have had their probation extended for silly reasons. Seems to be a new thing with managers. Not sure what benefit they gain apart from unhappy staff. Must be a financial gain somewhere.
Dannybuca
Posts: 49
Joined: 02 Jul 2018, 06:18
Gender: Male

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by Dannybuca »

My probation was extended by three months and I hadn't had a single day off sick. I presumed it was normal...

Only after the end of those three months did I see a permanent (PT) contract.
compostcorner
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
Gender: Male

2 sickness absences in 6 months

Post by compostcorner »

i expect every postman in the country has been on stage 1 at least once in their career