ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trainee manager

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Hi I've been with RM for 7 mths as a 25 hr OPG , I've been asked to go on a full time relief manager course . I do enjoy being out delivering but as Xmas is coming up and the opportunity of a more hour contract I'm very tempted to apply . I was also told that last Xmas some of the posties are staying out delivering past 3.30 pm . I don't fancy being out that late in the cold , wet dark conditions . What are my chances of getting on the management ladder ?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by yellowbelly »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Hi I've been with RM for 7 mths as a 25 hr OPG , I've been asked to go on a full time relief manager course . I do enjoy being out delivering but as Xmas is coming up and the opportunity of a more hour contract I'm very tempted to apply . I was also told that last Xmas some of the posties are staying out delivering past 3.30 pm . I don't fancy being out that late in the cold , wet dark conditions . What are my chances of getting on the management ladder ?
Probably quite high - however do you think as a 'relief manager' you'll be fireproof from delivering? What about when you can't get a delivery out
because the postie is off sick/doesn't want to do the OT/it's mega busy and your DOM says 'I'm not having any failures today, get it delivered!'

If you've not done a Xmas as a postie yet, I would suggest you experience one yourself first as an OPG to get an insight of what
issues you would have to deal with.

Otherwise, by all means go for it, but if you look at all the comments/issues highlighted on these boards, you have to ask yourself 'Will it be worth it?'
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by worktotime »

I reckon the chances are 1000% of getting this as no f****r else will apply :left: , you do realise you will do more delivery than you do now as you will have to mop all cut offs at all other delivery offices and even more especially if there is any I/A :thumbup , anyway fill your boots and go for it if you want the extra hours and money , and good luck and may god go with you .
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

worktotime wrote:I reckon the chances are 1000% of getting this as no f****r else will apply :left: , you do realise you will do more delivery than you do now as you will have to mop all cut offs at all other delivery offices and even more especially if there is any I/A :thumbup , anyway fill your boots and go for it if you want the extra hours and money , and good luck and may god go with you .
But surely if there is industrial action management won't be expected to go out and deliver hundreds of deliveries
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by Acca Dacca »

7 months? Youve just been told what a Royal Mail xmas is like?

Youve been posting about being a postie on here for 2 years though....?

Please explain that one
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by worktotime »

I never noticed so do you think someone has got his details to get on here to ?
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Trainee manager

Post by Brandy »

Acca Dacca wrote:7 months? Youve just been told what a Royal Mail xmas is like?

Youve been posting about being a postie on here for 2 years though....?

Please explain that one
You will make a good manager then if you are making things up!!!!!!!
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by Sir Henry »

Image
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by Rumple »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Hi I've been with RM for 7 mths as a 25 hr OPG , I've been asked to go on a full time relief manager course . I do enjoy being out delivering but as Xmas is coming up and the opportunity of a more hour contract I'm very tempted to apply . I was also told that last Xmas some of the posties are staying out delivering past 3.30 pm . I don't fancy being out that late in the cold , wet dark conditions . What are my chances of getting on the management ladder ?
I'm confused.
You've been with RM for 7 months but been posting on here for 2 years.
You like the idea of more hours but you don't like the thought of being out past 3.30?
Regardless, if you are only thinking of applying for the relief managers role for more hours then fear not, I'm sure there will be plenty o/t available around Xmas, both indoor and out.
Last edited by Rumple on 17 Oct 2019, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Don't know about how it works for acting managers but afaik substansive managers can be sent to any RM office anywhere as needed
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Trainee manager

Post by Janet Brum »

And they do deliver mail to clear other offices as well, even lino` and dom`s :crazy:
hero22
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by hero22 »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:
worktotime wrote:I reckon the chances are 1000% of getting this as no f****r else will apply :left: , you do realise you will do more delivery than you do now as you will have to mop all cut offs at all other delivery offices and even more especially if there is any I/A :thumbup , anyway fill your boots and go for it if you want the extra hours and money , and good luck and may god go with you .
But surely if there is industrial action management won't be expected to go out and deliver hundreds of deliveries
From your post you seem to be perfect for a management position. And NO, management wont be expected to deliver hundreds of deliveries by themselves, they will be helped by the 2.9 % who voted NO to strike along with a fair view who cudnt be bothered to vote. What a merry little bunch that will be :evil/mad
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by grchpo »

3.30 at Xmas, i am out past 3.30 now. If you are finishing that early at Xmas I would stay where you are, last year out til 5.00 some days. Tell me which DO you are in & I will join you. You have got it easy
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by world class male »

i think this is a wind up, but if not, please resign from the cwu if successful and join unite who have our backs too :left:
and if we do take IA you will be told to deliver until all hours, something that will be frowned upon by many,
i work with several ex-miners and the stories they tell can make your eyes water
par4mrl
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 22:34
Gender: Male

Trainee manager

Post by par4mrl »

Royal Mail managers = failed postman