ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The 'U' on the top of the PDA

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lawrencepa2014
Posts: 98
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
Gender: Male

The 'U' on the top of the PDA

Post by Lawrencepa2014 »

Today I handed back in my PDA and logged it out as usual. The guy in the cage called me back over though to say I shouldn’t have logged it out because there were ‘notifications’ on the U. I have never heard of this before and I don’t know what it means. I didn’t ask any further questions and just logged it back in and handed it in. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do though. What was I meant to have done? And what does it actually mean?
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by worktotime »

Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Today I handed back in my PDA and logged it out as usual. The guy in the cage called me back over though to say I shouldn’t have logged it out because there were ‘notifications’ on the U. I have never heard of this before and I don’t know what it means. I didn’t ask any further questions and just logged it back in and handed it in. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do though. What was I meant to have done? And what does it actually mean?
unsent items ?
Lawrencepa2014
Posts: 98
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
Gender: Male

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by Lawrencepa2014 »

worktotime wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Today I handed back in my PDA and logged it out as usual. The guy in the cage called me back over though to say I shouldn’t have logged it out because there were ‘notifications’ on the U. I have never heard of this before and I don’t know what it means. I didn’t ask any further questions and just logged it back in and handed it in. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do though. What was I meant to have done? And what does it actually mean?
unsent items ?
Ah ok because our mail centre lorry drivers strikes today so a lot of mail didn’t get to us. Could that be why? Because other than that I have no idea why that would have come up
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by Gasman11 »

Lawrencepa2014 wrote:
worktotime wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Today I handed back in my PDA and logged it out as usual. The guy in the cage called me back over though to say I shouldn’t have logged it out because there were ‘notifications’ on the U. I have never heard of this before and I don’t know what it means. I didn’t ask any further questions and just logged it back in and handed it in. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do though. What was I meant to have done? And what does it actually mean?
unsent items ?
Ah ok because our mail centre lorry drivers strikes today so a lot of mail didn’t get to us. Could that be why? Because other than that I have no idea why that would have come up
Thought it was when your PDA is unable to connect to your local server for whatever reason and any jobs that are scanned during that period of time will not be accounted for until a server connection has been made. You can either do that with a reboot or once it goes back on the charging dock at your local office the PDA should connect automatically and they should get sent.
Lawrencepa2014
Posts: 98
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
Gender: Male

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by Lawrencepa2014 »

Gasman11 wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:
worktotime wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Today I handed back in my PDA and logged it out as usual. The guy in the cage called me back over though to say I shouldn’t have logged it out because there were ‘notifications’ on the U. I have never heard of this before and I don’t know what it means. I didn’t ask any further questions and just logged it back in and handed it in. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do though. What was I meant to have done? And what does it actually mean?
unsent items ?
Ah ok because our mail centre lorry drivers strikes today so a lot of mail didn’t get to us. Could that be why? Because other than that I have no idea why that would have come up
Thought it was when your PDA is unable to connect to your local server for whatever reason and any jobs that are scanned during that period of time will not be accounted for until a server connection has been made. You can either do that with a reboot or once it goes back on the charging dock at your local office the PDA should connect automatically and they should get sent.
This sounds most likely tbh. Nothing to worry about then
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by worktotime »

Gasman11 wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:
worktotime wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Today I handed back in my PDA and logged it out as usual. The guy in the cage called me back over though to say I shouldn’t have logged it out because there were ‘notifications’ on the U. I have never heard of this before and I don’t know what it means. I didn’t ask any further questions and just logged it back in and handed it in. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do though. What was I meant to have done? And what does it actually mean?
unsent items ?
Ah ok because our mail centre lorry drivers strikes today so a lot of mail didn’t get to us. Could that be why? Because other than that I have no idea why that would have come up
Thought it was when your PDA is unable to connect to your local server for whatever reason and any jobs that are scanned during that period of time will not be accounted for until a server connection has been made. You can either do that with a reboot or once it goes back on the charging dock at your local office the PDA should connect automatically and they should get sent.
that's correct but when it happens to me , I just reboot the pda and put my details back in and 9 times out of 10 they go through and disappear.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by twoloops »

You have no need to log out it logs you out when charging, just give it in.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by Smith1212 »

It’s the parcels you you would of Scanned and server not responding I got coaching because I did what you have done !! But I didn’t know any different but was told to log out log back in and it should clear if not find manager lol good luck with that and tell them.
LittleEmm
Posts: 34
Joined: 23 Jan 2019, 16:40
Gender: Female

The 'U' on the top of the PDA

Post by LittleEmm »

It’s unsent items. I work in an area with bad signal and someday go back with anything from 1-100 notifications haha. It doesn’t really matter if you log out as as soon as the pda is on the cradle it logs you out automatically and items should then be pushed through the system.
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

The 'U' on the top of the PDA

Post by yubin282 »

take the battery out then put it back in, that gets rid of them
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

The “U” on the top of the PDA

Post by maisymoo04 »

worktotime wrote:
Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Today I handed back in my PDA and logged it out as usual. The guy in the cage called me back over though to say I shouldn’t have logged it out because there were ‘notifications’ on the U. I have never heard of this before and I don’t know what it means. I didn’t ask any further questions and just logged it back in and handed it in. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do though. What was I meant to have done? And what does it actually mean?
unsent items ?
first tell the jobs worth in the cage to do one , don't worry about it not our fault they don't get sent not supposed to turn PDAs on off to clear scans , they send when you turn it off or reboot :cuppa
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"