Hi
I’m after some advice please.
I started on a 6 month fixed term contract on 25 hrs back in April which was due to expire later this month.
Unfortunately, I have been off sick for the last couple of months due to having to have an operation following an injury outside work.
I have spoken to my DOM who said that my probation period would just start again when I return back from sick later this month.
When I questioned my DOM about the contract he was a bit vague and said it will likely get extended. I was hoping to get a permanent contract but under the circumstances I should count myself Lucky I still have a job after all the time off work during probation period.
My question is should I be issued with a new fixed term contract by HR with the new start/ expiry dates on as if my current contract states it expires at the end of October it will be invalid come next month.
Many thanks.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Advise on contract please
-
Bobbyh
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 24 Oct 2016, 22:25
- Gender: Male
Advise on contract please
Can anyone help on the below?
1. Is it common for a fixed term contract to be extended rather than a permanent contract being issued once the fixed term contract expires?
2. If the fixed term contract is extended should this be done in writing rather than the DOM just saying it’s been extended.
Thanks.
1. Is it common for a fixed term contract to be extended rather than a permanent contract being issued once the fixed term contract expires?
2. If the fixed term contract is extended should this be done in writing rather than the DOM just saying it’s been extended.
Thanks.
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Advise on contract please
My experience is that I was sent 8 x 3 month temporary contracts before receiving a long term (permanent) contract - RM are obliged to offer you this after 2 years.
You should always receive a written contract. When you receive your new contract i would check the continuity of employment date to see the date on which your continuous employment with Royal Mail began.
Probable that your probation will be extended because of sick absence (however genuine)
You should always receive a written contract. When you receive your new contract i would check the continuity of employment date to see the date on which your continuous employment with Royal Mail began.
Probable that your probation will be extended because of sick absence (however genuine)
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Advise on contract please
I had 6 month contracts issued for about 2 years before getting a permanent one (started in 2011). You should get the extension through the post in writing.Bobbyh wrote:Can anyone help on the below?
1. Is it common for a fixed term contract to be extended rather than a permanent contract being issued once the fixed term contract expires?
2. If the fixed term contract is extended should this be done in writing rather than the DOM just saying it’s been extended.
Thanks.
-
Bobbyh
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 24 Oct 2016, 22:25
- Gender: Male
Advise on contract please
Having verbally spoken to my DOM about returning to work having recovered from my operation I was told that I would stay on the <6 months pay rate rather than the > 6 months rate.
I will have a return to work meeting next week and find out further details but seeing as I have been employed with the company for more than 6 months ( even though I have been off sick for 3 of the 6 months) I was expecting to be on the higher pay grade (> 6 months)but it doesn’t appear this is the case.
Has anyone been in a similar situation to this and if so what was the outcome?
I will have a return to work meeting next week and find out further details but seeing as I have been employed with the company for more than 6 months ( even though I have been off sick for 3 of the 6 months) I was expecting to be on the higher pay grade (> 6 months)but it doesn’t appear this is the case.
Has anyone been in a similar situation to this and if so what was the outcome?