ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Traumatised

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
JIA79
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 16:10
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by JIA79 »

I was on my walk today and found an elderly gentleman slumped against the wall of his house, I shouted across to my workmate to phone ambulance while I did CPR, I was giving CPR for at leat 15 mins until ambulance arrived and took over. They worked on the guy for over 40 mins but he sadly passed away from Cardiac Arrest. I am truly broken and dont know what to do, ive never experienced this before, Ive only been a postie for 4 weeks. I got back to my office and was told I was a hero, I stated that heroes save people, i failed today. I dont think i'll sleep tonight. :sad:
hero22
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by hero22 »

Sounds like you did everything you possibly could and I’m sure the guys family would appreciate that. Must be terribly upsetting to be involved in that today but can’t blame yourself. Maybe doesn’t feel like it now but you shud be proud of your efforts, many in a similar situation would have froze.

Try not to let it get you down
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by scoobydo79 »

Don’t feel bad .You did what You could .Well done!! :Applause
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by estelle »

https://www.rmgfirstclasssupport.co.uk/ ... ee-support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

08006888777

First of all, you've done a very brave thing in giving CPR, so well done and please don't beat yourself up as you stepped up to assist when others may have frozen.

Next, contact that helpline number, it's free, completely confidential and it's our Employee Assistance Programme (also linked via the website I've provided).

It will take time, but I promise you will be able to look back on this and feel like a hero. Not all hero's wear capes or get positive results all the time.

Talking helps, I know because I've been there too.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Traumatised

Post by Route1 »

JIA79 wrote:I was on my walk today and found an elderly gentleman slumped against the wall of his house, I shouted across to my workmate to phone ambulance while I did CPR, I was giving CPR for at leat 15 mins until ambulance arrived and took over. They worked on the guy for over 40 mins but he sadly passed away from Cardiac Arrest. I am truly broken and dont know what to do, ive never experienced this before, Ive only been a postie for 4 weeks. I got back to my office and was told I was a hero, I stated that heroes save people, i failed today. I dont think i'll sleep tonight. :sad:
A couple of months ago, we saw a prison transporter van stopped at some lights and not moving when the lights went green a couple of times. One of the guards either took a heart attack or died cos the other two guards dragged him out & started CPR. We see it all the time in movies & TV but seeing it real life does actually feel sickening. Heroes do the right thing at the right time no matter the outcome.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by 97gaz »

3
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Traumatised

Post by LouBarlow »

The guy's family will truly be thankful that he passed in the presence of someone who tried to save him and cared.
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by gerrys »

Wifes a nurse & reckcons success rate with CPR 'roadside' as it were is not very high [as little as 5%] although you have to try it;if needed in hospital it can be as high as 95% so the odds where against you ….be proud of yourself at least you tried most people including me; probably would have frozen on the spot.
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by Numberone63 »

I used to work at a supermarket. This happened to me twice in two consecutive weeks. Both people died later in hospital. Not a nice thing but you did the right thing by giving cpr. You done good. The supermarket managers just had me go straight back to work still shaking and shocked from what I’d just dealt with.
streets97
Posts: 92
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 21:43
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by streets97 »

estelle wrote:https://www.rmgfirstclasssupport.co.uk/ ... ee-support

08006888777

First of all, you've done a very brave thing in giving CPR, so well done and please don't beat yourself up as you stepped up to assist when others may have frozen.

Next, contact that helpline number, it's free, completely confidential and it's our Employee Assistance Programme (also linked via the website I've provided).

It will take time, but I promise you will be able to look back on this and feel like a hero. Not all hero's wear capes or get positive results all the time.

Talking helps, I know because I've been there too.
I've used feeling first class, I used them a coue of weeks ago, was told there was no one available, this was midday when I called, the person on the other end of the line said that she had passed my details over and someone would ring me back by 21:00 hours that evening. They did not ring back until 11:15 the next day. I thought waste of time and told them so. I emailed a complaint to them, I'm still waiting for the reply.

I'm still dealing with the problem now but I wouldn't recommend them.
cliffeyhez
Posts: 98
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 04:07
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by cliffeyhez »

So few people would have taken responsibility and carry out CPR like you did.
I am sorry that you feel traumatised and that you failed.
Before joining RM I was a Paramedic for fifteen years.
I can count on one hand the successful CPR's that I carried out.
You gave that elderly gentleman a chance.
You should be very proud of yourself.
Jen1
Posts: 231
Joined: 31 Oct 2018, 12:00
Gender: Female

Traumatised

Post by Jen1 »

Very proud of u mate. You've enhanced the reputation of us posties just by trying

You've inspired me to brush up on CPR techniques (haven't done it since school) figure 5% chance of success equates to 1 out of every 20 people saved

So even though you couldn't save this life know that if I've been inspired then so have others so just by trying & sharing your story u might of saved many others

I hope you get recognition for your efforts although you might not feel U deserve it you really do

Well done for doing your best u r a hero
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Traumatised

Post by k979aaa »

Heroes try to save lives whilst others go about their business you are a HERO but sometimes the people you help don't make it that does not sully your fortitude or effort. And in doing so people will look up too you as a shining light for all a beacon without a call and most of all a Human with the compassion and fortitude we all lack in times of crisis and you made that difference!
JIA79
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 16:10
Gender: Male

Traumatised

Post by JIA79 »

Thank you all for your kind words, the older gent was 92 and had heart problems, I did my best, even though I have no first aid training at all. Its made me want to be first aid trained, i'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Traumatised

Post by maisymoo04 »

JIA79 wrote:I was on my walk today and found an elderly gentleman slumped against the wall of his house, I shouted across to my workmate to phone ambulance while I did CPR, I was giving CPR for at leat 15 mins until ambulance arrived and took over. They worked on the guy for over 40 mins but he sadly passed away from Cardiac Arrest. I am truly broken and dont know what to do, ive never experienced this before, Ive only been a postie for 4 weeks. I got back to my office and was told I was a hero, I stated that heroes save people, i failed today. I dont think i'll sleep tonight. :sad:
Don't dare feel bad you done all you could to help him and unfortually he passed away he wasn't alone :neutral:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"