ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Cloudwatcher »

I started 14 weeks ago. I have been told by lots of the lads and lassies at my depot that I am entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off and yet when I mention it to management they get arsey with me and give me constant Tuesday's off anyway.

Do I have any right to kick up a fuss?

Or do I not have any rights and should just pipe down and take what I am given?

My family all live hundreds of miles away so it would be nice to get the odd weekend to go and see them which is why it means quite a lot to me. Basically I would like to know if there are any rules regarding this?

Cheers
Superdude
Posts: 55
Joined: 15 Mar 2019, 18:27
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Superdude »

Another question for the union. But they don’t give a f**k about part-timers so management can keep treating us like s**t. Work your hours out though. If you have every Tuesday off you’re probably doing more than your contracted hours. Never let them keep YOUR money.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by twoloops »

Keep writing down your days & dates off, in you case Tuesday's :Very Happy come the 5 week take your list to see your highest manager in the unit & demand a Saturday off, I found in my office if I was put a walk for the whole week, I was not given the walks day off, I was still given Tuesday :left: your more clever & sneaky full timers, they will be checking which days off if your given, so they can swoop, if needed.
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Yamr1 »

Yip even reserves are entitled to every 6th Saturday off, might get Tuesday of or random days off through the 5 weeks but then you should get your Saturday your entilted to every 6 weeks
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Cloudwatcher »

OK thanks everyone for the info. I will keep pestering my manager for a Saturday off then. Is there any rules anywhere (Royal Mail, CWU etc.) that actually state this?

It would be handy if I could quote something if management keep on fobbing me off....
smok3y666
Posts: 753
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by smok3y666 »

We have a rotating day off in our office for PT or FT also the Wallington? week thing. If you are on day off it goes:

Mon off, following week Tues, then Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri and Sat, Sat and Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Mon and so on......

So week 6 you have a long weekend and then weeks 10 and 11 you have long weekends and then it starts again from the begining if that makes sense?
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Trail »

I worked 14 months at RM before I got a Saturday off.

Take from that what you will.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by picture123 »

You should get "the same" amount of Saturdays off over the year. So not necessarily every 6th week sometimes closer together other times further apart. A good manga ger will have a tracker of how many Saturdays the reserves are getting off. The problem lies with Saturdays getting overbooked for leave etc by other staff or if the unit runs on a high reliance of people working their day off as they often won't want to do a Saturday.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by yellowbelly »

The only thing I've ever found in writing is the Business Transformation 2010 and Beyond agreement:
Whilst the precise number of Saturdays off and the aspirations of employees will vary from
unit to unit, both parties believe we can deliver cost effective and reliable options that will
maximise the number of Saturdays off for those who wish them. Royal Mail and CWU
commit to achieving at least 1 in 4 Saturdays off for the majority of employees (including
reserves) during the roll out of the operational transformation programme. In some
circumstances this may be exceeded utilising jointly identified options to provide 1 Saturday
off in 2 or 3.
which was referred to in this thread about the same topic here: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... urdays+off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There might be something in writing about the 1 in 6 entitlement but I've not seen it yet, I've only ever heard about
the 1 in 6 'entitlement' verbally, which is not much good when you want to point it out to a manager!
plaguelift
Posts: 133
Joined: 19 Apr 2011, 06:16
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by plaguelift »

There are a couple of duties in our office which have Tuesdays off every week (it was written in to the contract when they signed for the duty) and never have a Saturday unless someone swaps a day with them. As usual, the rules are written in legal jargon which means Royal Mail can interpret them whatever way they want to. They probably don’t have to give everyone a weekend off in every six, but in the interest of fairness, they usually try to.
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Cloudwatcher »

Ta again for the advice. Sorry to hear of others not getting Saturdays off for over a year!

My manager has now given me next Saturday off as a rota day :-) I suppose if you don't ask you don't get. So after 6 weeks I will keep asking, until they get sick of the sight of me and give in. That or give me the sack ;-)

I think RM and their management seem to be taking the piss alot, quite a few posties in my depot work unpaid overtime for fear of management and don't get Saturday's off etc. It seems only those who kick up a fuss get treated fairly. It shouldn't be that way but in our depot it seems to be.......
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Celgar »

As a general rule if you don't speak up in RM you will get walked over. Best option is to be a member of the union and get your union rep to chase it up.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Harv12
Posts: 158
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 18:25
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by Harv12 »

remember to get the following monday off as well as the saturday
coppermine64
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 17:41
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by coppermine64 »

If you aren't getting your proper amount of Weekend off, then tell your Union Rep. If he does nothing, then go area rep next. Get what you are entitled to.
awesomepenguin
Posts: 122
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
Gender: Male

Are we entitled to 1 in every 6 Saturday's off or not?

Post by awesomepenguin »

You're entitled to what it says you're entitled to in your contract of employment.

I would check that first before kicking up a stink. It may say you work 5 days over a 6 day week, but I doubt it is as specific as what days off etc.