ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working out overtime

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Working out overtime

Post by Ali831 »

Hi, I'm a newbie just a few weeks in on a 35hr contract. Can someone please confirm is overtime paid in arrears?
So if I work extra w/c 23rd Sept for example should that have been in my payslip today i.e.3rd October?
Or is there a cut off day for overtime, so if I work extra on the friday or Saturday of that week would that have missed today's pay & actually be in next weeks wages?
The reason is I am missing several hours & have been logging everything as advised to do. I must admit this site has been a godsend. Enjoying the job so far, long may it continue thanks in advance
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Working out overtime

Post by yellowbelly »

Where I work the admin office are pretty efficient at getting all OT (worked the week before) into the pay system for payment the next week.

But there is a cut off time on the Monday (or might be Tuesday) by which it is too late and should be in the following weeks pay.

You will probably find this also happens when there is a bank holiday on the Monday.

Good call to keep a record of what extra you work - don't stand for 'I'll get round to it"
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Working out overtime

Post by Dindin »

Ali831 wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie just a few weeks in on a 35hr contract. Can someone please confirm is overtime paid in arrears?
So if I work extra w/c 23rd Sept for example should that have been in my payslip today i.e.3rd October?
Or is there a cut off day for overtime, so if I work extra on the friday or Saturday of that week would that have missed today's pay & actually be in next weeks wages?
The reason is I am missing several hours & have been logging everything as advised to do. I must admit this site has been a godsend. Enjoying the job so far, long may it continue thanks in advance
Newbie on a 35 hour contract your doing well
dodgyinlaws
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Jan 2011, 21:19
Gender: Male

Working out overtime

Post by dodgyinlaws »

I take it you have registered your overtime on a docket each day you worked over
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Working out overtime

Post by robbertwhitton »

What is this overtime you speak of?we see none on our planet,
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Working out overtime

Post by Ali831 »

Yes a docket is completed and signed daily. As for my contract I must admit several colleagues have asked what contract I am on so I guess they are rare? quite a few of us were taken on at the same time with those hours.
dodgyinlaws
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Jan 2011, 21:19
Gender: Male

Working out overtime

Post by dodgyinlaws »

Be persistent in chasing any missing overtime, don't be shy in coming forward, if you are in the union have a word with your rep
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Working out overtime

Post by joewyan »

Ali831 wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie just a few weeks in on a 35hr contract. Can someone please confirm is overtime paid in arrears?
So if I work extra w/c 23rd Sept for example should that have been in my payslip today i.e.3rd October?
Or is there a cut off day for overtime, so if I work extra on the friday or Saturday of that week would that have missed today's pay & actually be in next weeks wages?
The reason is I am missing several hours & have been logging everything as advised to do. I must admit this site has been a godsend. Enjoying the job so far, long may it continue thanks in advance
To answer your question. Your basic hours for w/c 23/9 would have been paid on Friday 27/9
On Friday 4/10 you would have been paid for basic hours w/c 30/9 and overtime from w/c 23/9. (The whole week Monday-Saturday)