ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shift swap?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Shift swap?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Just a quick question. Whats the deal with shift swaps? I'm full time and Iv arranged a shift swap with a Part timer. All legit. Boss gave it the OK. I gave him some money as a thank you and due to the fact that the day they swapped would be slightly shorter than the one they will now work, including the difference in PT and FT hours. Not much difference really. roughly 20mins/30 mins. Though they will likely make time anyway.

I checked the signing in sheet and boss man has me down on full time hours when I am covering a part timers shift. Am I correct in thinking that I actually should be starting and finishing as if I were a part timer? Vice versa for the guy who will be covering my shift. That he will start as if he were full time?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Shift swap?

Post by yellowbelly »

The problem I can see from RM's point of view (regardless of the boss giving the ok and you compensating the PT'er for the extra work),
is that if all goes to plan you'll be working (slightly) less than FT hours, but you're still being paid your FT wage.......

As for the P/T'er he's said he'll work a FT shift - you've compensated him but that's nothing to do with RM - he's
said he'll work your shift - is he expecting RM to pay him OT?

What happens if on the day the PT'er does your duty there's a SNAFU and the PT'er is required to work more
than the 20/30 minutes you've estimated? The manager is not going to want to pay him OT - don't forget
as a FT'er your OT is cheaper than a PT'ers.

From RM's point of view they've allocated people with the correct contracted hours to the
appropriate duty - they don't won't to pay anybody extra (OT) or pay someone for not doing work
for a voluntary shift swap.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Shift swap?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Hmm. I did think that. As per being paid FT hours. I have previously worked in a different role in RM a few years back and vaguely remember being briefed that if you swap shift you swap shift even if that means that shift is longer or shorter. Difference in pay was to be sorted out between yourselves. BUT, I cant be 100%

As for OT I would have thought it would just be a case of if you go over the FT shift then that is when OT would kick in. Not what would be ones traditional PT hours. But thats just me making things up so again, not sure on that one either.

They way I see it is that he had a PT shift pencilled in and it could easily have been another part timer doing the shift swap. Its only that he's got a full timer doing a part timers shift that he can attempt to benefit from it. On the flip side I cant see him being happy that he had a FT shift penciled in and then someone doing it on PT hours because they are part time.