ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
I support the unions. They watch the back of us peasants against our lords and masters. But.....
In my depot the union guy said that they are against PDA's being used to track our start and finish time. Personally I would like the PDA's to track my start and finish time because management are starting to argue over what hours I have done. Simples. I want to be paid the hours that I work. I do not want to work for nothing. And management are starting to take the piss and argue over the overtime that I am owed.
So maybe PDA's should be used to track our start and finish times?
Especially for us part timers. In 5 1/2 hours it seems hard to park up, sign in, drive to the multi storey, drive the van back to the depot, bag up, do the round, drive back to the depot, back to the multi storey, back to the depot, specials, collections, blah blah blah. Every day I go over and the managers argue over my times. Its bullsh"t
In my depot the union guy said that they are against PDA's being used to track our start and finish time. Personally I would like the PDA's to track my start and finish time because management are starting to argue over what hours I have done. Simples. I want to be paid the hours that I work. I do not want to work for nothing. And management are starting to take the piss and argue over the overtime that I am owed.
So maybe PDA's should be used to track our start and finish times?
Especially for us part timers. In 5 1/2 hours it seems hard to park up, sign in, drive to the multi storey, drive the van back to the depot, bag up, do the round, drive back to the depot, back to the multi storey, back to the depot, specials, collections, blah blah blah. Every day I go over and the managers argue over my times. Its bullsh"t
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
The only solution to this is to stop working overtime. Cut off.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
The issue the union has is they're wanting to use the actuals to do revisions basically. So x duty has taken x person 3 hours so we'll put another hour on that duty. The issue with that is has x person come in an hour early, skipped their breaks and ran round like a mad man. It won't be used in situations like yours where you're doing things proberly.
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
i wouldn't trust management to use the PDA actuals honestly, it also takes the union out of the workplace, a scary thought!!!
-
Pidleypoo
- Posts: 705
- Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
I’d agree that pda actuals would be a good thing if it wasn’t for that thousands of hours rm get for free every week.
It would only measure outdoor work and not if the job is being done correctly.
I know from experience there are people coming in an hour early and not taking their breaks and not claiming at the end.... 2 and a half hours a day , how does someone doing the job properly compete with that ?
Until the day postmen and women get the message that we have to follow all procedures then actuals can’t be used and it’s the same for management too.
It would only measure outdoor work and not if the job is being done correctly.
I know from experience there are people coming in an hour early and not taking their breaks and not claiming at the end.... 2 and a half hours a day , how does someone doing the job properly compete with that ?
Until the day postmen and women get the message that we have to follow all procedures then actuals can’t be used and it’s the same for management too.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
Pidleypoo wrote:I’d agree that pda actuals would be a good thing if it wasn’t for that thousands of hours rm get for free every week.
It would only measure outdoor work and not if the job is being done correctly.
I know from experience there are people coming in an hour early and not taking their breaks and not claiming at the end.... 2 and a half hours a day , how does someone doing the job properly compete with that ?
Until the day postmen and women get the message that we have to follow all procedures then actuals can’t be used and it’s the same for management too.
I would agree with that. You can't compete with postie A who regularly comes in over an hour before their shift time. They could be bagged and ready to go by 8.30am whilst postie B who came in on time is just driving the van out the depot an hour later. Too many posties like postie A could potentially show that there is loads of scope to do more lapsing, especially if many of them are regularly finishing before their time. Whilst postie B is actually struggling to complete within their hours. It doesn't mean that postie B's duty is any larger than postie A's and/or needs delivery work taken off it.
Surely the main idea behind the PDAs was to give our customers information in real time whether or not their items have been delivered?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
No problem with the principle of PDA Actuals use, but is it used fairly for all to be monitored? In my experience management use it in a piecemeal way to target and harrass those who are doing the job properly to the book, taking their breaks, starting on time etc. It is not used to root out the dark and corrupt practices of the favourites, ghosting, working for nothing to curry favour on the o/t front, cash for delivery, private car use, non return to base. Union are entitled to view the information, but are understandably reluctant to tackle this thorny issue as it is deep seated within the membership, and management rely on these practices to keep the mail flowing. Any new agreement needs a fresh look at this whole issue in terms of a joint approach, it is not being used correctly.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
I don't understand why people do this.....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - WHY!?Pidleypoo wrote:I know from experience there are people coming in an hour early and not taking their breaks and not claiming at the end.... 2 and a half hours a day , how does someone doing the job properly compete with that ?
Why would you come in an hour early, everyday, for free?
I could maybe understand it if you are incredibly slow at your job and if you came in on time you'd be way behind most of the other Posties.....but it's just slotting things into a frame and likely the same frame you have been working at for for years, so you should be quick at finding the slot you require.
I have heard Posties complaining about things about the job / about the managers, yet they are choosing to come in an hour early for free. It makes no sense to me. They might complain about the odd decision a manager made which caused them a problem that maybe cost them time or money, but they are losing time and money everyday by coming in and working for free 5 hours a week which is their own choice.
Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing.....
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
What about someone on a 20 hour contact?Jpro747 wrote:The only solution to this is to stop working overtime. Cut off.
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
It’s mad they pay so many people to work 38 hours but only do 30 or whatever. They have the technology why not implement it. Time for change and fair pay. Takes the piss that part timers can work more hours than a full timer but get paid less. (Part time does say 36 hours work gets paid for 36 maybe less depending on manager then full timers getting done early every day)
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
We fetch our PDA's with any specials, van keys log book etc around 8:30 to 9 & we log in just before we leave the office, how would the PDA know my start time? Does anyone actually get their PDA's & log in when they start work?
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
I wouldnt trust management as far as I could throw them.End of.osgoody1970 wrote:i wouldn't trust management to use the PDA actuals honestly, it also takes the union out of the workplace, a scary thought!!!
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
When I arrived at 6:57 this morning, the lad who starts same time as me 6:57 had chucked all his D2D's & sequenced mail in, I did pull him up & asked why? Because I want to get done & get home? This attitude is never going to change?
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
twoloops wrote:When I arrived at 6:57 this morning, the lad who starts same time as me 6:57 had chucked all his D2D's & sequenced mail in, I did pull him up & asked why? Because I want to get done & get home? This attitude is never going to change?
Is he doing this because you've not got enough time to complete because your round is too long. Or is he doing this because he wants to go home earlier than his finish time?
If the former, should be getting management to do something about it or cut off. If the latter, I guess your management are ok with Posties going home early.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
PDAs tracking Start and Finish times. Good or bad?
Until higher up notice and make the DOM take hours out of the officenorris9 wrote:twoloops wrote:When I arrived at 6:57 this morning, the lad who starts same time as me 6:57 had chucked all his D2D's & sequenced mail in, I did pull him up & asked why? Because I want to get done & get home? This attitude is never going to change?
Is he doing this because you've not got enough time to complete because your round is too long. Or is he doing this because he wants to go home earlier than his finish time?
If the former, should be getting management to do something about it or cut off. If the latter, I guess your management are ok with Posties going home early.