ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Vol reduction in hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by janty »

Due to the fact that I can no longer stand the inside of royal mail due to its toxic environment. I never knew what anxiety and depression was until joining 20 years ago. Now the place is simply not good for me to be in. With all the pressure with preparing up to 2 walks to completion, ips and lapsing. I've now want to simply reduce my hours to part time to reduce the stress which in turn leads to anxiety then depression. To which mangers don't give a toss. I would appreciate your thoughts on my idea. Other than this I feel IHR isn't to far off. Thanks.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Vol reduction in hours

Post by fb1969 »

I went from full time back to a 30 hour contract and one of the reasons was to get out of the toxic atmosphere early on in the day. On the whole it has worked for me, there is still stress there but I am not caught in it from the moment I get in. I still do overtime, extended delivery, if need be - and I have gone in early a few times if the need is there. But I now feel more in control as I can always refuse if things get bad again. Since doing that I also declared the stress/anxiety as an illness and have been assessed by OH Assist.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by Dindin »

Ok chuck in 3 to 4 walks on a Tuesday. But it beats being on a monster PT walk
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by janty »

Thanks so much for your reply. I have complained until I'm blue in the face about the working environment and its effect on my mental health. Nothing ever gets done. So either I leave which I can't afford or go part time to limit my exposure to the place. Its sad in a way. I suppose.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Vol reduction in hours

Post by fb1969 »

I've sent you a PM.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by janty »

I'm sure a lot of us are in this situation. I was hoping the 4 pillar agreement was going to tackle inside working conditions and moral though it never materialised. Looking forward I think it never will. So... Are we just supposed to lump it? Another ballot looms to stop further attacks on our conditions. I know the union ain't perfect but where would we be without it.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2225
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Vol reduction in hours

Post by Chelseablue »

Thinking of it myself ft to pt lot less hassle and easy pick up cpl hours a week anyway . Not much of a loss per week in pay . If i remember you get a lump sum payment for doing this??
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by janty »

I don't think you get anything if it is voluntary. Although a few quid would be great. You are right though in that it's far less hassle and stress. That's what I need at the moment. Full time is far to melty.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Vol reduction in hours

Post by fb1969 »

As it is voluntary there is no payment for doing it - but what price your own sanity!

Mine was fairly straightforward, I put the request in writing and had already agreed a rough date with the DOM. At the time I had pretty much taken the same amount of leave that I had accrued, but you will need to check the situation. You are currently earning leave at the full time rate as it should now be done in hours, so you may have accrued say 39 hours for a week, but when you take it in the future you will be only using 30 hours of it for a week. My union subs dropped to the correct amount at the same time. I received a new contract for the part time hours but no other changes (so still a week's notice). Overall I had no issues at all, still do overtime and have started early when asked - but I don't have to.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by janty »

How do you feel now compared to when you were full time? Have you seen an improvement in your mental health so to say.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Vol reduction in hours

Post by fb1969 »

From what I am told by my current van share partner (full time) the pressure is still there before I get in. Early prep not done when it was scheduled, arriving to find several packet bags and loads of buddy flats, being called to empty ips slots and get more packet bags while you are still doing d2d, asking and asking for help and being ignored, then being asked why you are behind etc etc etc. I have done early starts since and have seen it myself. Everyone will say they are a hard worker so me saying it may not sound genuine but it is. I didn't do it to avoid the amount of manual work, I did it to reduce the mental pressure - I was at the point of resigning.

There is still stress within the job, but avoiding it first thing every morning means that I do feel "calmer" within myself. I have been assessed by OH Assist so it is on my record if any of the managers have checked, so that may affect things as well. I am also less tired and that helps stress levels as well. I am not looking forward to the Christmas pressure, I was part time last Christmas and had a couple of bad days then, but I will deal with that when I get to it.

Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others, but I have no regrets despite being £50-£60 a week down.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by janty »

Thanks again for your reply. I was considering Ill health retirement and like yourself I though I may as well give part-time a go. I feel this is the last resort now. I called in sick today couldn't face it. When I'm called in for my meeting with the Dom I will ask for a reduction in hours. He probably bite my arm off for the hours. Lol.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Vol reduction in hours

Post by fb1969 »

The date I changed coincided with a few part timers being made up to fill vacancies, so my place was just added to the list - I don't know how it would work in a fully staffed office. The biggest thing to look at is the pension, but with my length of service it will make very little difference. I never had any time off with it, but I did come close to walking out quite a few times.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by postslippete »

Many posties decide to tackle this by coming into work over an hour earlier than anyone else. Then when they finish 20 or 30 minutes early after taking their lapsing they don't get any grief from managers!! I don't personally agree with giving away time for free or working through breaks but many of them do it for the sake of their sanity and keep the managers off their backs - and I can understand that.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
janty
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
Gender: Male

Vol reduction in hours

Post by janty »

I've been off quite a few times with situational depression. It's been an issue for the last ten year's or so. At first i suffered from anxiety then gradually went to depression which is scary. Like us all I've a mortgage and kids so had to stick in there and take antidepressants which do help. Though recently the depression turned sinister. I've such a low tolerance to stress now that everything in work keeps overwhelming me. I've been telling my boss/Dom this got the last couple of years.. They simply refer me to welfare. They just want you back in work. In all I thought Royal mail had a duty of care to us. Not just physically but crucially, mentally. In my view they don't give a toss as long as you do your mail and take your lapsing.