ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Customer being too friendly
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
And the problem is???Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
Looking at it like that nothing cheers mateaiden01 wrote:And the problem is???Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your deliverywacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
Of course posties and customers alike should be polite, respectful, sociable and appreciative with one another but still certain comments and use of certain language especially when used repetitively can stray towards being inappropriate or at least irritating.aiden01 wrote:Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your deliverywacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
I'm sure if a male postie was to address a female customer as "gorgeous" on a daily basis that customer would be well within their rights to request them not to and to take it further if their request isn't respected.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
Yes I'm a married manwacko74 wrote:Of course posties and customers alike should be polite, respectful, sociable and appreciative with one another but still certain comments and use of certain language especially when used repetitively can stray towards being inappropriate or at least irritating.aiden01 wrote:Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your deliverywacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
I'm sure if a male postie was to address a female customer as "gorgeous" on a daily basis that customer would be well within their rights to request them not to and to take it further if their request isn't respected.
-
30+YEARMAN
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
It annoys me when they come to the door with a phone stuck to the side of their head carrying on their conversation as if you are not even there,that is just bad manners. 
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
That really annoys me too. How hard is it to say excuse me a moment I'm just at the door with the postie, they want a signature. Those sort of peple always get 739'd from me obviously, if they're not in.30+YEARMAN wrote:It annoys me when they come to the door with a phone stuck to the side of their head carrying on their conversation as if you are not even there,that is just bad manners.
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
And what's she like? Gorgeous too?Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
"I have a big package for you, sweetheart. Shall I stick it in your box, or shall I leave it in your bush?"
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Customer being too friendly
It's just a turn of phrase. Other words used could be 'young man', 'young woman' , 'duck' etc.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
max power
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30
Customer being too friendly
When that happens you should say30+YEARMAN wrote:It annoys me when they come to the door with a phone stuck to the side of their head carrying on their conversation as if you are not even there,that is just bad manners.
NE NE NANA NANA NOO NOO
-
max power
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30
Customer being too friendly
And what's she like? Gorgeous too?PostmanBitesDog wrote:Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
"I have a big package for you, sweetheart. Shall I stick it in your box, or shall I leave it in your bush?"
Happened to me
a young lady opened the door had hid behind it and held her hand out for the parcel
but on the wall their was a full length mirror and I saw a lot
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Customer being too friendly
Next time you see her say that you are Happily Married and that will put 90% off if not take notes of her behaviour to you and report it then as you have implied by your statement that you do not require their attention. If it comes to it you can be moved to another duty or even office the choice is yours as RM says we uphold the safety of our staff with the upmost priority.Dindin wrote:Yes I'm a married manwacko74 wrote:Of course posties and customers alike should be polite, respectful, sociable and appreciative with one another but still certain comments and use of certain language especially when used repetitively can stray towards being inappropriate or at least irritating.aiden01 wrote:Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your deliverywacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
I'm sure if a male postie was to address a female customer as "gorgeous" on a daily basis that customer would be well within their rights to request them not to and to take it further if their request isn't respected.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Customer being too friendly
These comments are what most female posties have to put up with too. It seems to be a novelty having a female postie.
I don't mind comments like "you are better looking than our usual postmen", etc.
But I have had more indecent ones which have made me uncomfortable.
Something like "Hello gorgeous" seems quite innocent to me. At least you have not been propositioned...
I don't mind comments like "you are better looking than our usual postmen", etc.
But I have had more indecent ones which have made me uncomfortable.
Something like "Hello gorgeous" seems quite innocent to me. At least you have not been propositioned...