ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customer being too friendly

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by Dindin »

I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by aiden01 »

Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
And the problem is???
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by Dindin »

aiden01 wrote:
Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
And the problem is???
Looking at it like that nothing cheers mate
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by wacko74 »

I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by aiden01 »

wacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your delivery
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by wacko74 »

aiden01 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your delivery
Of course posties and customers alike should be polite, respectful, sociable and appreciative with one another but still certain comments and use of certain language especially when used repetitively can stray towards being inappropriate or at least irritating.

I'm sure if a male postie was to address a female customer as "gorgeous" on a daily basis that customer would be well within their rights to request them not to and to take it further if their request isn't respected.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by Dindin »

wacko74 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your delivery
Of course posties and customers alike should be polite, respectful, sociable and appreciative with one another but still certain comments and use of certain language especially when used repetitively can stray towards being inappropriate or at least irritating.

I'm sure if a male postie was to address a female customer as "gorgeous" on a daily basis that customer would be well within their rights to request them not to and to take it further if their request isn't respected.
Yes I'm a married man
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

It annoys me when they come to the door with a phone stuck to the side of their head carrying on their conversation as if you are not even there,that is just bad manners. :arrrghhh
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by rambo1 »

30+YEARMAN wrote:It annoys me when they come to the door with a phone stuck to the side of their head carrying on their conversation as if you are not even there,that is just bad manners. :arrrghhh
That really annoys me too. How hard is it to say excuse me a moment I'm just at the door with the postie, they want a signature. Those sort of peple always get 739'd from me obviously, if they're not in.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
And what's she like? Gorgeous too? :angel

"I have a big package for you, sweetheart. Shall I stick it in your box, or shall I leave it in your bush?" :chuckle
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Customer being too friendly

Post by Celgar »

It's just a turn of phrase. Other words used could be 'young man', 'young woman' , 'duck' etc.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
max power
Posts: 113
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30

Customer being too friendly

Post by max power »

30+YEARMAN wrote:It annoys me when they come to the door with a phone stuck to the side of their head carrying on their conversation as if you are not even there,that is just bad manners. :arrrghhh
When that happens you should say

NE NE NANA NANA NOO NOO :crazy:
max power
Posts: 113
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30

Customer being too friendly

Post by max power »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
Dindin wrote:I have a. Customer saying thanks sweetheart no problems gorgeous etc all at the same visit
And what's she like? Gorgeous too? :angel

"I have a big package for you, sweetheart. Shall I stick it in your box, or shall I leave it in your bush?" :chuckle


Happened to me
a young lady opened the door had hid behind it and held her hand out for the parcel
but on the wall their was a full length mirror and I saw a lot :oops:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Customer being too friendly

Post by k979aaa »

Dindin wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:I think it's fair to say it is a potential issue that needs keeping an eye on, whether you're male or female you shouldn't have to put up with comments, suggestions or "banter" from customers that you have to interact with on a daily basis on your duty when those comments make you feel uncomfortable or awkward or are even just irritatingly repetitive.
Also think it would be fair to say do you want ignorant customers or nice customers who are grateful for your delivery
Of course posties and customers alike should be polite, respectful, sociable and appreciative with one another but still certain comments and use of certain language especially when used repetitively can stray towards being inappropriate or at least irritating.

I'm sure if a male postie was to address a female customer as "gorgeous" on a daily basis that customer would be well within their rights to request them not to and to take it further if their request isn't respected.
Yes I'm a married man
Next time you see her say that you are Happily Married and that will put 90% off if not take notes of her behaviour to you and report it then as you have implied by your statement that you do not require their attention. If it comes to it you can be moved to another duty or even office the choice is yours as RM says we uphold the safety of our staff with the upmost priority.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Customer being too friendly

Post by Interested-seeker »

These comments are what most female posties have to put up with too. It seems to be a novelty having a female postie.

I don't mind comments like "you are better looking than our usual postmen", etc.

But I have had more indecent ones which have made me uncomfortable.

Something like "Hello gorgeous" seems quite innocent to me. At least you have not been propositioned...