ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you think we moan too much

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chrisrct
Posts: 21
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 10:42
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by chrisrct »

You’ve only got to work your contracted hours, I’ve done 30 years still on a walk
Last edited by chrisrct on 05 Aug 2019, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by Dindin »

chrisrct wrote:You’ve only got to work your contracted hours, I’ve done 30 years still on a walk
With a nice argument most days
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by robbertwhitton »

Looking at posts on here it does seem that way,but I guess people have a passion on things they care about,unfairness and inconsistently being expected to do more,at no cost ,issues with management at every level and how this job is being run on a wing and a prayer,some care about it others not so much and just get on with it,but are far from happy,we have to man up and get on with it,pick up the speed and go quicker,blah blah,
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by chickenwittle »

Yes , ridiculous amount of moaners in the job and most of it over really trivial things.I wonder how some would survive if they were self employed and had to deal with those pressures.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by hothothot »

Most people moan about Thier job. And working for royal mail they are fully justified.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by Sledge4211 »

Most of us don’t realise we take for granted that we “sometimes and maybe most days” we finish before our time, yet retail staff and most ppl have to do there time at work a full 8hrs with restricted meal break times, with manager next to them all day long, just think of the benefits guys......
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by Rumple »

Sledge4211 wrote:Most of us don’t realise we take for granted that we “sometimes and maybe most days” we finish before our time, yet retail staff and most ppl have to do there time at work a full 8hrs with restricted meal break times, with manager next to them all day long, just think of the benefits guys......
Retail staff don't work outdoors in blistering heat, snow, ice and everything in between.
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by FacesOfStone »

Sledge4211 wrote:Most of us don’t realise we take for granted that we “sometimes and maybe most days” we finish before our time, yet retail staff and most ppl have to do there time at work a full 8hrs with restricted meal break times, with manager next to them all day long, just think of the benefits guys......
As someone who left RM & ended up returning a few years later, I worked in a retail environment for a few months, and you’re quite right; it’s not an experience I ever wish to repeat. So for all RM’s flaws, there are far worse jobs out there.

With that said, I don’t think it’s necessarily a good thing to focus too much on what other jobs do wrong and give the upper tiers a free pass when they treat people poorly, or attempt to implement completely wrong-headed schemes. Too much work is a race to the bottom, so I don’t think we should be thrilled by default that we’re not as poorly compensated as those on lower rungs of the ladder or, before we know it, we’ll be there ourselves.
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by sirchewey »

I worked in the care industry for about 8 years before joining RM as a stop gap in between managerial roles. After working for 6 months as a Postie, I decided to stay with RM. At the time, I could earn close to the same without all the BS and red tape the thankless industry had become.

Since RM became privatised, there's been cut after cut and the pressure on management to perform within tighter budgets has increased significantly. I don't envy RM management at all, barely earning that much more than a normal postie and difficult to earn bonuses which now may not ever materialise going forward. That being said, the pressure being put on the posties to perform within these constraints comes in the form of terrible mismanagement, bullying and harassment not just by management but by fellow colleagues that are experiencing the same pressures themselves.

The whole culture of the company has changed and so has the job. I can't imagine anyone who would say that their job is easier or better now than it used to be before privatisation. The quantity and quality of the moaning has increased and for good reason IMO. RM needs to understand the pressures we are being put under and also understand that these pressures and the way in which management are handling the changes within the company is unacceptable. I would think that everyone understands the need for change, but to experience such poor treatment in the process falls way below expectation of such a highly regarded company.

My only hope is that the poor treatment experienced by so many staff is purely a phase to cut expenses by management whilst RM sort their technological advances out to achieve the standards being set by our competitors. That being said, this sort of treatment shouldn't go unchallenged, and I hope that anyone experiencing or witnessing such appalling treatment should report it accordingly.

If you are experiencing anything you feel you shouldn't or have ideas that would help RM then you can always email away to the top chaps at HQ. I have had great responses to ideas as well as other colleagues with grievance issues being sorted etc. JUSTSAYIT@ROYALMAIL.COM
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Do you think we moan too much

Post by norris9 »

sirchewey wrote:I don't envy RM management at all, barely earning that much more than a normal postie and difficult to earn bonuses which now may not ever materialise going forward.
Salary & Benefits: Starting at £34,109, potential 10% performance related bonus.




They earn a good wage.
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by sirchewey »

norris9 wrote:
sirchewey wrote:I don't envy RM management at all, barely earning that much more than a normal postie and difficult to earn bonuses which now may not ever materialise going forward.
Salary & Benefits: Starting at £34,109, potential 10% performance related bonus.

They earn a good wage.
I was referring to a line manager's wage not a DOM but I still wouldn't want to do it for that money, especially in RM's current position, I doubt very much any management will get any bonuses for a while. A DOMs wage of £650pw before deductions isn't that much more than we can earn. I would rather work my day off and do a couple of collections than do their job.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Do you think we moan too much

Post by norris9 »

sirchewey wrote:I was referring to a line manager's wage not a DOM but I still wouldn't want to do it for that money, especially in RM's current position, I doubt very much any management will get any bonuses for a while. A DOMs wage of £650pw before deductions isn't that much more than we can earn. I would rather work my day off and do a couple of collections than do their job.
'The typical Royal Mail Line Manager salary is £29,126. Line Manager salaries at Royal Mail can range from £27,983 - £33,123. This estimate is based upon 6 Royal Mail Line Manager salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods. When factoring in bonuses and additional compensation, a Line Manager at Royal Mail can expect to make an average total pay of £30,011.'

Whether this is accurate or not - I don't know.


I am not sure what it's like to be a line manager I can only say what I see....a lot of ours seem chilled, easy going, reasonable. It doesn't seem like they are under pressure to save every penny they can that they resort to bullying or pressurising you....well, all but 1 of them.

All I see them do is organise lapsing, throw off some walks, answer any Postie's queries, ordering uniform, interviewing potential new recruits, finding Postie's when they come back from their walk to see if they can do overtime.

Obviously it's not going to be that easy, but from my perspective it seems like a pretty relaxed job for the most part. No walking 10 to 12 miles a day in blazing heat or pouring rain.

I am not sure what they do while we are all out on our rounds. Probably sorting out any complaints and doing paper work.

I am sure that the job is always on their minds away from work.... they can probably never switch off.
matt_1983
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 08:39
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by matt_1983 »

Sledge4211 wrote:Most of us don’t realise we take for granted that we “sometimes and maybe most days” we finish before our time, yet retail staff and most ppl have to do there time at work a full 8hrs with restricted meal break times, with manager next to them all day long, just think of the benefits guys......
We might finish early sometimes, but that had become increasingly rare recently, but every office is different i suppose.

Even when finishing early- eg walking out of the office at 13:55 when my finish time is 14:55- i still almost always feel totally exhausted and will be for the rest of the day until im in bed by 9pm. When the alarm goes off at 5am the next day it is always a huge struggle to get up and ready for work.

I know a lot of jobs leave people tired, but the nature of this job and the distances we walk, in all weathers and on all terrains . . . I just feel like, who gives a f*** f we might “gain time”, when in order to do that we’ve been non stop for 8+ hours and that gained time will be spent absolutely knackered anyway.

And on top of everything, the squeeze from above we are all feeling, just adds a huge stress to our working days and makes me hate the company i work for.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Do you think we moan too much

Post by scoobymunster »

Sometimes it feels like a playground with spoilt kids in my office. Anytime a van gets sent to the garage/scrapped, it's replacement doesn't go to whatever duty is now without, one of the select few gets it. After a while they'll have it wrecked and moan like heck they're next for a replacement, so the rest of us end up with their "hand me downs". Managers want a quiet life, so if your a serial complainer, you can usually get away with most things. There is a lot to moan about in Royal Mail, but some people will argue over the most trivial of things just to get "their way".
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Do you think we moan too mucj

Post by norris9 »

matt_1983 wrote:I know a lot of jobs leave people tired, but the nature of this job and the distances we walk, in all weathers and on all terrains . . . I just feel like, who gives a f*** f we might “gain time”, when in order to do that we’ve been non stop for 8+ hours and that gained time will be spent absolutely knackered anyway.

And on top of everything, the squeeze from above we are all feeling, just adds a huge stress to our working days and makes me hate the company i work for.
How long have you been doing the job?

I am not glad to hear you are feeling the aches and pains, but I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. Even after a week off I am still aching at the end of the week even when I have just rested up for the week.

I feel like my achilles is about to snap most days.

I am not sure these aches will go away. 5 months and they are still here each day. So I cannot imagine doing this job for life if this is how it is. Why would I want to ache 24/7 for life.