ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lawrencepa2014
Posts: 98
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
Gender: Male

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by Lawrencepa2014 »

When I first started this job I was terrible and would rack up complaints and overtime. It took about 6 weeks for me to settle in and become good at my job.

I haven’t done that much driving yet but she said I need to take more control when out on delivery. Other than that she said everyone likes me, my pace is fine now and there hasn’t been a complaint in 2 months. Anyway despite all the good things she said it’s likely they’re going to extend my probation. I don’t see why really. There’s one particular route I’ve done more than the others and I’d happily take more control on that one but I haven’t been the driver yet. There’s only been one duty I’ve been the driver on and I was with someone who always does that duty and he’s always helping out, passing me the bags, telling me what parcels to drop off. I haven’t been on a duty where I felt like I HAD to take control

The manager said also she can’t see any problems with my probation which I thought was a bit contradictory if they’re extending it. Has anyone got any advice or whether I should be worried?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Personally, from a 3rd person perspective, you have nothing to worry about.

I think they are playing mind games with you to keep you on your toes and keep you flexible.

Just keep on, keeping on, and you'll be fine.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by chickenwittle »

Come Xmas they’ll be begging you to stay .
Davemac1978
Posts: 44
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 17:24
Gender: Male

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by Davemac1978 »

Nothing to worry about, think it's standard procedure, i had my 6 months probation extended twice and about 1 month into 2nd extension i got my permanent contract through. I never had any reviews personally, spoke with someone that joined same time as me and it was exactly same for them.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by norris9 »

I am surprised that they have had no meeting with me yet to see how I am finding things. Give feedback to me and vice versa. :hmmmm
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by joewyan »

norris9 wrote:I am surprised that they have had no meeting with me yet to see how I am finding things. Give feedback to me and vice versa. :hmmmm
I wouldn’t be surprised. I having had a meeting like that since I joined 8 1/2 years ago!
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by Route1 »

Its been a decade but I thought probation was either 6 months or 12 months.

My partner (covering for my real partner on holiday) is a new start. He thinks its 6 month probation, then you get a permanent contract and after another 6 months you get the same pay rate as everyone else.
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by FacesOfStone »

Route1 wrote:Its been a decade but I thought probation was either 6 months or 12 months.

My partner (covering for my real partner on holiday) is a new start. He thinks its 6 month probation, then you get a permanent contract and after another 6 months you get the same pay rate as everyone else.
It is six months.

Other aspects of the contracts vary though - mine was permanent from the get-go (albeit subject to probation, despite having worked at the office via an agency prior for the preceding six months). I’ve seen one or two with ostensibly temporary six month contracts, although they invariably get retained after that stretch. As for the pay rise, there are two; one at six months and then to the full amount at 12.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by Smith1212 »

Also after 12 month full sick pay I know for new starters it seems a long time but it's a very good perk of the job.probation I never got spoken to at 6 months or 1 year of service so in guessing I did ok lol
pillarboxred.
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 23:02

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by pillarboxred. »

Your probation hasn't been extended you've only just had your 3 month review, you will get another review in 3 months time. Once you've had had your 6 month review you'll be either kept on, have you probationary period extended for another 3 months ( maximum ) or you'll be a failed trialist. We've had a few guys not been kept on after their 6 months, one guy was taking too long to complete his duty on a daily basis and another was getting too many complaints and another guy failed after 9 months due to his sick record and his complaints.
Ashley’s
Posts: 44
Joined: 16 May 2018, 18:59
Gender: Female

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by Ashley’s »

I started in October 2018 and I’ve never had any reviews! I actually thought they never exsisted! :nana
supertouring
Posts: 30
Joined: 07 Aug 2018, 21:47
Gender: Male

Just had my 3 month review which left me confused

Post by supertouring »

Was promised a 6 month review, never got one.
Was promised a driving assessment, never got one.
I assume I am just perfect in my job.