ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hot weather

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
darkknight34
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 14:40
Gender: Male

Hot weather

Post by darkknight34 »

Doesn't Royal mail have any maximum temperature for working in?
It was 35 degrees last Thursday and I had 6 bottles of water with me, 3 of which I refilled on delivery.
The short of it was I had to get an ambulance out to me and I nearly died. Surely it can't be right to work in those conditions?
What do you guys think ?
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Hot weather

Post by twoloops »

We had one postie flake out last year & he got a bollocking for rushing around, not taking his breaks & not wearing an hat.


Hope we do not end up like our competitors Amazon, apparently they calling a ambulance every other day because someone's collapsed due to exhaustion.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Hot weather

Post by deltaforce »

darkknight34 wrote:Doesn't Royal mail have any maximum temperature for working in?
It was 35 degrees last Thursday and I had 6 bottles of water with me, 3 of which I refilled on delivery.
The short of it was I had to get an ambulance out to me and I nearly died. Surely it can't be right to work in those conditions?
What do you guys think ?
This is being discussed on this forum already
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Hot weather

Post by Trail »

To be honest I think it comes down to fitness in a lot of cases.

I'm wafer thin but in good shape. I run in heat (outside of work), I box in gyms that are ridiculously hot and I ran around for Royal Mail in stupid temperatures and I was never close to flaking out.

Simple things to remember - keep your fluids up, big time. Four pints of water before you go out, then a few litres when you're out there. Eat well, your body depends on fuel, if you're starving yourself your body shuts off everything but what is necessary to survive; chances are you'll collapse if there's f*ck all inside you working because you haven't had any fuel. Wear a cap to keep the sun off of your head/face.

Don't put a cagoule or a coat on even if it's shitting it down with rain while it's boiling hot. You'll dry. Don't wear trousers be it whatever time of the year.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hot weather

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

A poster asked for advice, and quite frankly comments on here have been appalling. All have been deleted but if you can't offer advice and only want to call someone weak or to tell them to stop moaning, then please bugger off, you are just acting like a bully.

Offer advice when asked, if you can't do anything but put someone down then don't post anything.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Hot weather

Post by Trail »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A poster asked for advice, and quite frankly comments on here have been appalling. All have been deleted but if you can't offer advice and only want to call someone weak or to tell them to stop moaning, then please bugger off, you are just acting like a bully.

Offer advice when asked, if you can't do anything but put someone down then don't post anything.
Post of the week.^^^^^^^

I might be a bit dismissive (snobbish/arrogant?) in my posts saying how easy I found the job, but I won't slam people down.

Keep the threads on topic, and don't kick your mates when they're down. Offer constructive advice.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hot weather

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Please do not ignore Moderator Posts.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.