ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Newbie uniform allowance
-
christhepuma
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 23 Jul 2019, 19:14
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
Hi Posties
I start at the end of August and at some point I will need to order my uniform.
The initial allocation seems to be 5 tops (Short sleeve shirt/Long sleeve shirt/Polo shirt) and 2 bottoms (Shorts/Long trousers).
What combination would experienced posties recommend? 5 polos? Or add in one of each shirts to leave 3 polos? And for legs - one of each shorts/trousers?
I don't want to be regretting ordering something i won't be wearing much.
thanks in advance
Chris
I start at the end of August and at some point I will need to order my uniform.
The initial allocation seems to be 5 tops (Short sleeve shirt/Long sleeve shirt/Polo shirt) and 2 bottoms (Shorts/Long trousers).
What combination would experienced posties recommend? 5 polos? Or add in one of each shirts to leave 3 polos? And for legs - one of each shorts/trousers?
I don't want to be regretting ordering something i won't be wearing much.
thanks in advance
Chris
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
Best things to walk around in are shorts and polo shirts. Legs dry, trousers don't.christhepuma wrote:Hi Posties
I start at the end of August and at some point I will need to order my uniform.
The initial allocation seems to be 5 tops (Short sleeve shirt/Long sleeve shirt/Polo shirt) and 2 bottoms (Shorts/Long trousers).
What combination would experienced posties recommend? 5 polos? Or add in one of each shirts to leave 3 polos? And for legs - one of each shorts/trousers?
I don't want to be regretting ordering something i won't be wearing much.
thanks in advance
Chris
Don't touch the RM shoes. They're f*cking horrible and awful to do 13 miles a day walking in.
Buy a pair of these, they'll serve you well -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nike-Revolut ... c2EvWUyvgw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
christhepuma
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 23 Jul 2019, 19:14
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
Thanks, i will check out black running shoes...
So you think 5 polo shirts then and avoid the shirts?
So you think 5 polo shirts then and avoid the shirts?
-
hawkeye622
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
Personally i went for five polos, two pairs of shorts & the RM trainers which i dont find too bad, though i am only in my fifth week with the company!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Newbie uniform allowance
Horses for courses. I find the polo shirts to restrictive in hot weather, I much prefer the short sleeve shirts. Don't order long sleeve - I never wear them.christhepuma wrote:Thanks, i will check out black running shoes...
So you think 5 polo shirts then and avoid the shirts?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Jahpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 318
- Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
Interesting regarding the short sleeve shirt. I would have said 2 shorts and 5 polo but after the last week I feel there needs to be something lighter for the summer. My polo shirts have been dripping with sweat and I've changed half way into one of my own t-shirts.
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
When I started I ordered three blue shirts and two polos. I haven't worn the blue shirts yet (two years).christhepuma wrote:Thanks, i will check out black running shoes...
So you think 5 polo shirts then and avoid the shirts?
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Newbie uniform allowance
Short sleeved shirt or polo - I would say 2 of one, and 3 of the other. Which is which depends if you are the sort of person who feels the heat or feels the cold. I prefer to be a bit cold than too hot, so wear the shirt more through the year than the polo - and I can always wear a t-shirt under it. It is a few years since I wore the trousers as I feel more comfortable in the shorts regardless of the weather or temperature.
Last edited by fb1969 on 30 Jul 2019, 18:50, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
You'd be better advised with sports trainers. If you get any s**t for it in the office just turn up in your RM shoes and change when you get out.christhepuma wrote:Thanks, i will check out black running shoes...
So you think 5 polo shirts then and avoid the shirts?
Don't touch those Magnum shoes, I had a pair of those and they seriously made me walk like I've never walked before. The soles on my shoes/trainers usually wear on the outside, with Magnum they wore/drifted towards the inside. I just binned them after about a month.
Cat boots should never be worn for walking a half marathon.
Cat trainers - I don't think RM do these any more - I think I was the last wave of people to get a pair. A few of the fellas who had been with RM for years swore by these. Mine are unworn, as are my Cat boots.
RM trainers - never worn them as I was always in Nike Revolution 3 (above link). Don't go to a store for Revolution 3 as they'll cost you a fortune, get on ebay and get a new pair for £30ish.
-
ArthurPewty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
According to this month's issue of Pravda which arrived today, there's going to be new light weight polo's available from September.Jahpostie wrote:Interesting regarding the short sleeve shirt. I would have said 2 shorts and 5 polo but after the last week I feel there needs to be something lighter for the summer. My polo shirts have been dripping with sweat and I've changed half way into one of my own t-shirts.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
I’d try the RM shoes before buying trainers, you’ll get through any pair of shoes in about 4-6 months pounding the pavements so it’s gonna cost you out of your own pocket. But i do agree, they are not fit for purpose - heavy, clumpy, and not waterproof or breathable.
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
Nike Revolution 3 that I wear £32 (eBay, new). I had six months out of the last pair (and I wore them outside work too). The pair I have now are on 5 months. I'd rather fly round in those and pay £5 odd a month out of my pocket than wear anything RM provide. If you play your cards right you might be able to get RM to pay for them for you. I never tried because I couldn't really be bothered to be honest.Jpro747 wrote:I’d try the RM shoes before buying trainers, you’ll get through any pair of shoes in about 4-6 months pounding the pavements so it’s gonna cost you out of your own pocket. But i do agree, they are not fit for purpose - heavy, clumpy, and not waterproof or breathable.
I don't mind having wet feet (Nike I wear aren't waterproof) if I can fly around a lot quicker in those than the abominations RM provide. Plus, you look a lot more fly tramming the streets in those than those RM provide.
It's all a matter of choice I guess, but I wouldn't touch any RM footwear. Just my call, each to their own.
-
Lfc1972
- Posts: 37
- Joined: 10 Jan 2018, 18:36
- Gender: Female
Newbie uniform allowance
Also saw that the lightweight polos will be available from mid September, just in time for winter, piss poor planning again 
-
Alantidey
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 30 Mar 2017, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Newbie uniform allowance
Chris,
If I was you, I’d go for the shorts and short sleeved shirts every time. In my 3 years since joining, I’ve worn the long trousers once only, the pitfall on the polos are that there aren’t any pockets. (You tend to carry a lot of things with you especially if you’re new- Id badge, 739 docket cards, pen I keep in my shirt pockets and keep pda and phone in my shorts.
The shoes aren’t really that bad. Try the panther shoes. The sizing is a bit off so as I’m a 9 1/2 I went down to a 9. They tend to last around 5 months a pair.
Good luck
Alan
If I was you, I’d go for the shorts and short sleeved shirts every time. In my 3 years since joining, I’ve worn the long trousers once only, the pitfall on the polos are that there aren’t any pockets. (You tend to carry a lot of things with you especially if you’re new- Id badge, 739 docket cards, pen I keep in my shirt pockets and keep pda and phone in my shorts.
The shoes aren’t really that bad. Try the panther shoes. The sizing is a bit off so as I’m a 9 1/2 I went down to a 9. They tend to last around 5 months a pair.
Good luck
Alan