ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dog bites (several wounds)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postie*88
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 22:37
Gender: Female

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by postie*88 »

Hi,

I am looking for advice as I was badly bitten by a large dog whilst out on my round.

I was out delivering my normal round yesterday when I arrived at the house i was bitten at. I wasn't aware of who lived there or that they had a dog as I'd never seen anyone at the property before. As I approached the gate and entered the garden I noticed the door was open, but I didn't expect a dog to come running out. The dog jumped up towards my face at first, but luckily didn't cause a wound. It then snapped at me several more times, it managed to bite my thigh and arm, and then locked on to my hand for a few seconds. I was in a lot of shock and managed to get out of the gate before it could do more damage. The wounds to my hand and arm exposed tissue and were very painful. The owner apologised briefly before the neighbour took me into their house where they bandaged my hand up.
I went to hospital and had my wounds treated with butterfly stitches, they didn't want to stitch them properly due to risk of infection.

I reported this attack to the police as advised by my manager. I wouldn't like anyone else to be attacked unknowingly by this viscous dog.

I would like advice on what I do next and how I find out if this is eligible for compensation?

I feel sorry for the dog and the owners, but with children nearby I wouldn't like this to happen again as it could be a lot worse next time.

Thankyou for any help
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by norris9 »

Awful. Hope you get better soon. All I'll say is....I hope the owner is screwed over anyway legally possible.

I am fed up with loose dogs trying to scare the crap out of me and fed up with owners who allow their dogs to attack letters as I put them through the door. For the most part it seems dog owners don't give a crap about other people.

I have had 3 separate occasions where dogs have been loose in the front garden and have run towards me barking like lunatics.....luckily they didn't physically attack though....

It's worrying knowing that it is likely just a matter of time before I get bitten. It shouldn't be like this.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by k979aaa »

Hope you get better soon but take your time in returning each time you see any dog it will affect you I know I was bitten by a German sheep dog and it was a big one at that. And that was well over ten years ago still get flashbacks of it now every time I see a dog not that hate dogs or cats or anything before the incident. But reporting it to the police is a good call by your manager and the fact you did so will help you in your case in the long term. But even then they will try the old he made my dog bad as my dog never bites and is the best dog in the world routine even though a lot take their dogs to dog fights and bet money on them. Most dogs are like their owners but the public persona of most individuals in society is different behind closed doors in their own territory!
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by Trail »

norris9 wrote:Awful. Hope you get better soon. All I'll say is....I hope the owner is screwed over anyway legally possible.

I am fed up with loose dogs trying to scare the crap out of me and fed up with owners who allow their dogs to attack letters as I put them through the door. For the most part it seems dog owners don't give a crap about other people.

I have had 3 separate occasions where dogs have been loose in the front garden and have run towards me barking like lunatics.....luckily they didn't physically attack though....

It's worrying knowing that it is likely just a matter of time before I get bitten. It shouldn't be like this.
If there are dogs in the garden just don't go in. Take the mail back to the DO.

D.I.G
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

postie*88 wrote:
I would like advice on what I do next and how I find out if this is eligible for compensation?

I feel sorry for the dog and the owners, but with children nearby I wouldn't like this to happen again as it could be a lot worse next time.

Thankyou for any help
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 28&t=87364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LTB 498/18 - Royal Mail – ‘Dog Attack Compensation Scheme’ and Claim Form
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by scoobydo79 »

The Police will handle it.Details will be passed to The CPS and it can go to court if CPS think it will succeed.Dog owner will be fined and You will be able to claim compensation.IThe proceedings will take time though
I’d also add photos of injury and any witness will help You immensely. Also If You don’t mind Me saying don’t let any one solicitor or otherwise talk You into trying to claim for anything You can’t quantify as it won’t help You.
Last edited by scoobydo79 on 29 Jul 2019, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
neilgg
Posts: 33
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 12:38
Gender: Male

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by neilgg »

I got bitten although it sounds not as badly as you. I went to hospital and the Police the same day and then contacted a no win no fee solicitor who assessed photos of my bite and agreed to act for me. It took 2 years and a couple of visits to medical experts along the way to assess the effect on me but I ended up with £3000 after the solicitor took her cut. I didn't take any time off work after my bite but if I had needed to then the compensation would have been increased.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Dog bites (several wounds)

Post by yellowbelly »

Note the New Royal Mail Group Dog Attack Reporting Process issued on 24 Jul 19 in LTB 443/19, make sure your manager has carried
out their actions detailed in the new process........


https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 28&t=91893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;