ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM issue shorts

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dan3mitch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 22
Joined: 20 Feb 2019, 19:37
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by dan3mitch »

evening all i've been a postie for 3 months now and love it however the shorts they provide are shocking, they have warn through on the crutch already alternating between the 2 pairs i'm allocated, does anyone else have this issue they seem very thin for the amount of walking we do, can we wear our own shorts etc, i'm happy with the rest of the uniform just the shorts.

thanks all
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

RM issue shorts

Post by korky »

cannot remember the last time i wore RM shorts/trousers, definitely against the guidelines but never been pulled, i wear shorts no matter the weather
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Just wear your own. Provided they're Black.. Navy Blue or Grey I can't see the problem .... Might have a problem if they're Dayglo Pink! :shock: . I find the Cargo Pockets handy for carrying 739s & Elastic Bands (once Removed). If your DOM gets too stressed about you wearing your own ... just wait until you're out on Delivery and swap them over. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

RM issue shorts

Post by Mr Blonde »

One thing is for sure, they're dreadful when you've been sweating into them all day. I have to peel mine off when I get home.
dan3mitch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 22
Joined: 20 Feb 2019, 19:37
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by dan3mitch »

Thanks for the replies my DM is a good bloke so I'm gonna speak to him tomorrow and show him the shorts just wanted to get a view before hand thanks again
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by hothothot »

Worn out in the crutch what have you been doing ?
bardeh
Posts: 42
Joined: 01 Feb 2019, 23:04
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by bardeh »

The button on both pairs of mine has come off. They're not too small, it just seems like they're cheap and badly made. I don't mind wearing them too much, they're generally quite comfortable but a belt is a necessity now :chuckle
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by Celgar »

Most RM equipment is poorly made, defective, or expensive to be honest. The buttons fell off my RM trousers after not very long but the belt keeps them up.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

RM issue shorts

Post by twoloops »

Just order some more, I'm sure RM don't want you walking around the streets with your bits hanging out? Do they?
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by robbertwhitton »

Yep order more get your boss to authorise it if they’re worn out
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by daveyeff »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Just wear your own. Provided they're Black.. Navy Blue or Grey I can't see the problem .... Might have a problem if they're Dayglo Pink! :shock: . I find the Cargo Pockets handy for carrying 739s & Elastic Bands (once Removed). If your DOM gets too stressed about you wearing your own ... just wait until you're out on Delivery and swap them over. :cuppa
not in the street though :Very Happy
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

RM issue shorts

Post by Cedar_Room »

The buttons always come off,I just sewed mine back on more securely. I turned them up at the same time to just above the knee. Can’t be seen in public wearing ghastly 3/4 length kex. Awful
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by DiamondSmiles »

Yes, i too have found they are wearing out quicker. Those who cycle especially are noticing the friction is wearing them out faster than they used to. Allocation is awful. It's not like its 2 pairs of shorts and 2 of trousers a year. You order 2 of shorts and that's it! However i would never buy my own stuff to wear. Take them to your manager and they will have to order more for you. If they refuse ask them what they would like you to wear :crazy:
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by Jahpostie »

6 months in and had no problems with the shorts. The shorts and polo shirts seem to be the best of the uniform. The rest is rubbish.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

RM issue shorts

Post by greengiant »

Cedar_Room wrote:The buttons always come off,I just sewed mine back on more securely. I turned them up at the same time to just above the knee. Can’t be seen in public wearing ghastly 3/4 length kex. Awful
I wish mine were longer!