ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
roll away
-
sirchewey
- Posts: 99
- Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
- Gender: Male
roll away
I think the worst that would happen is being taken off of driving duties depending on the severity of the incident. You may need to retake a driving course etc I cant see them sacking someone for making a mistake, we are all human.
-
ihatedogs
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
- Gender: Male
roll away
I agree. Its an accident as opposed to a deliberate act (theft, fight at work etc)
As a driver I wouldn't expect to be sacked if I had a crash and, in my eyes, this is no different.
You're probably looking at a proper bollocking and maybe a 2 or 5 year serious.
Best bit of advice I can give? It's happened, you can't change that, so try to stop thinking about it too much mate.
As a driver I wouldn't expect to be sacked if I had a crash and, in my eyes, this is no different.
You're probably looking at a proper bollocking and maybe a 2 or 5 year serious.
Best bit of advice I can give? It's happened, you can't change that, so try to stop thinking about it too much mate.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
roll away
However if you were found to be negligent, you could go to prison.ihatedogs wrote: As a driver I wouldn't expect to be sacked if I had a crash and, in my eyes, this is no different.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
roll away
Except in exceptional circumstances, it shouldn't be. I guess if you are found at fault you can be dismissed but they would have to go through the process first.hero22 wrote:Anyone know the current stance on a roll away van due to forgetting handbrake? Is it straight dismissal ?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Ciderboy1957
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:46
- Gender: Male
roll away
Opg in our office got 2 year serious offence , damage to property but no personal injuries .
I have heard of dismissals for roll aways , all depends on circumstances because management inconsistent in penalty as I we'll know myself
I have heard of dismissals for roll aways , all depends on circumstances because management inconsistent in penalty as I we'll know myself
-
Ciderboy1957
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:46
- Gender: Male
roll away
Opg in our office got 2 year serious offence , damage to property but no personal injuries .
I have heard of dismissals for roll aways , all depends on circumstances because management inconsistent in penalty as I we'll know myself
I have heard of dismissals for roll aways , all depends on circumstances because management inconsistent in penalty as I we'll know myself
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
roll away
You can apply the handbrake on these vans these days and will roll away because of lack of maintenance ie drums shoes and cables greasing or worn teeth on ratchet of the handbrake but it is good to know we have the helpful womans voice telling us to ALWAYS APPLY THE HANDBRAKE BEFORE LEAVING!
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
roll away
This is what worries me. Parking on hills, maybe not quite putting the handbrake as far as I should, or even the van brakes being awful due to bad maintenance....and someone being hit.Ozzvaldo wrote:We had somebody sacked for a roll-away incident. i think the fact that the van hit a pedestrian and caused life-changing injuries contributed to the punishment.
Is it only the van share postie who signs for the van that is allowed to drive the van? I get moved around a lot and don't always drive, but sometimes when I drive my partner postie will drive the van a few hundred yards down the road to meet me. Is this not allowed? If management knew about this what would happen....
My concern is that my partner postie one day causes an accident, maybe leaves the handbrake off and the van rolls away crashes into a building or a pedestrian.... what happens if he/she doesn't admit it was their fault? Is it put on the driver who signed for the van?.....surely it shouldn't be.....as at any point the walking Postie could jump in the van and drive it as they have a key for themselves.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
roll away
Under the law if you have access or the means of starting the vehicle if you drive the van you are liable but if the IB turn up and it is not locked you are both liable this log book thing is not a sufficient when two drivers do the job WHO Signed for the van is only relevant for tracking speeding bus lane and parking fines but they still will not pick the fine up if the non signed driver did run a red light speed camera it is for the individual who so committed the crime to own up if it went to court and those who were found not to be telling the whole truth and nothing more would be found guilty of perjury of which the maximum sentence of 7 years. It is if it goes that far a sad indictment of the friendship we all have with our fellow workers if nothing less the case ofhttps://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/11/chri ... icky-pryce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; illustrates this and this was perverting the course of justice so one could avoid getting a ban they both paid a very dear price in the end!norris9 wrote:This is what worries me. Parking on hills, maybe not quite putting the handbrake as far as I should, or even the van brakes being awful due to bad maintenance....and someone being hit.Ozzvaldo wrote:We had somebody sacked for a roll-away incident. i think the fact that the van hit a pedestrian and caused life-changing injuries contributed to the punishment.
Is it only the van share postie who signs for the van that is allowed to drive the van? I get moved around a lot and don't always drive, but sometimes when I drive my partner postie will drive the van a few hundred yards down the road to meet me. Is this not allowed? If management knew about this what would happen....
My concern is that my partner postie one day causes an accident, maybe leaves the handbrake off and the van rolls away crashes into a building or a pedestrian.... what happens if he/she doesn't admit it was their fault? Is it put on the driver who signed for the van?.....surely it shouldn't be.....as at any point the walking Postie could jump in the van and drive it as they have a key for themselves.