ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parcels but no one in

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by lisag42 »

At our induction we were told to return parcels if no one is in, only leave in a Safe Place or with a neighbour if the householder has requested this. At the DO the story is different, they say leave with a neighbour regardless - going against all we were told.

I ask because yesterday I had 20 items I couldn’t offload on anyone - householder wasn’t in, next door wasn’t in. Took me way longer than it should have with all the door knocking & waiting. I’d refused to take extras as I knew I wouldn’t have time which turned out to be the case. No doubt I will get told off tomorrow, but I want your opinions before I say stuff your job.

So far training consisted of a couple of hours out with my coach with him going one way, me the other, I still feel totally lost.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Parcels but no one in

Post by clashcityrocker »

The standard procedure is to try a neighbour, regardless of whether anyone has asked for it.
The only exceptions being people who have a sticker on their door (now very faded and barely legible) stating that all items must be returned to the DO.
And no Special Deliveries or international signed for can be left with a neighbour, but the PDA tells you that anyway.

Safeplace is really only for Tracked items that have the Safeplace clearly designated on the parcel.
And then you take a picture of the parcel in the place.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by lisag42 »

clashcityrocker wrote:The standard procedure is to try a neighbour, regardless of whether anyone has asked for it.
The only exceptions being people who have a sticker on their door (now very faded and barely legible) stating that all items must be returned to the DO.
And no Special Deliveries or international signed for can be left with a neighbour, but the PDA tells you that anyway.

Safeplace is really only for Tracked items that have the Safeplace clearly designated on the parcel.
And then you take a picture of the parcel in the place.
So what if no one answers, as I found yesterday? I just try next door, should I be trying more?
joe379
Posts: 56
Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 15:47
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by joe379 »

I bought back 53 items the other day, didn’t try any neighbours. Finished bang on time. Round is far too long and told manager that if I had tried neighbours I would have bought loops back. He was ok about it to be fair. They can’t have it both ways as in increase round size and trying neighbours.
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

I hardly ever try neighbours,when we had our last revision and the jobs were made bigger no allowance was made for it, I just do not have the time and it states on a card I was given by the union some time ago a joint statement from Royal Mail and the CWU , DELIVERY TO A NEIGHBOUR IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE DELIVERY OPG-NOBODY ELSE. :cuppa
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by lisag42 »

joe379 wrote:I bought back 53 items the other day, didn’t try any neighbours. Finished bang on time. Round is far too long and told manager that if I had tried neighbours I would have bought loops back. He was ok about it to be fair. They can’t have it both ways as in increase round size and trying neighbours.
It’s the trying neighbours which eats into the time, had a I not had so many I could have done at least some of the extras. I got all my post done, so it’s not like I took my stuff back without trying. As for the extras, the regular guy on that round .... how do a I put it ... takes his time!

If a manager wants to come out with me on a busy day then be my guest.
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by lisag42 »

30+YEARMAN wrote:I hardly ever try neighbours,when we had our last revision and the jobs were made bigger no allowance was made for it, I just do not have the time and it states on a card I was given by the union some time ago a joint statement from Royal Mail and the CWU , DELIVERY TO A NEIGHBOUR IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE DELIVERY OPG-NOBODY ELSE. :cuppa
Thank you, that’s good to know.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Parcels but no one in

Post by clashcityrocker »

lisag42 wrote:
So what if no one answers, as I found yesterday? I just try next door, should I be trying more?
It depends.
If it is 12.30 and you still have 2 Special Deliveries to attempt before 1pm - then no.
If the neighbours house is shrouded in darkness, there are no windows open and no cars on the drive - then no.
If the house next door looks like it has been used as a shooting gallery - then no.

If you are on a regular walk, you get to know who is likely to be in and who will take packets.
When you are covering, it is a lot harder and a lot more time consuming. Time which you probably don't have.

While delivery to neighbour is at your discretion, that isn't a cop out for never trying.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Parcels but no one in

Post by twoloops »

Few swift cracks with PDA on door frame, I never ring doorbell & I'm writing 739 out, 9 times out of 10 I have half filled 379 out when they eventually answer the bleddy door might speed them up for next time, the only safe place if you want to keep your job is back at the office, no neighbors, I take minimum 2 full sacks back every shift, teach them a lesson for wasting my time, now I'm wasting yours, get in your car & get queuing at the office. :whistle
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by lisag42 »

mattycash wrote:Few swift cracks with PDA on door frame, I never ring doorbell & I'm writing 739 out, 9 times out of 10 I have half filled 379 out when they eventually answer the bleddy door might speed them up for next time, the only safe place if you want to keep your job is back at the office, no neighbors, I take minimum 2 full sacks back every shift, teach them a lesson for wasting my time, now I'm wasting yours, get in your car & get queuing at the office. :whistle
So annoying when that happens, if only they knew the words going around in my head as they finally answer the door just as I write the last thing on a 739.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Parcels but no one in

Post by twoloops »

I don't write much, date, 9pm,10,11,or 12, house number & last few digits of postcode, few ticks & I'm gone.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I don't try neighbor's unless I know they are in and don't mind taking them. If at the end of the walk and I've got time I'll give parcels another go and then try the neighbor's to take me to time.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by rubberbond »

mattycash wrote:Few swift cracks with PDA on door frame, I never ring doorbell & I'm writing 739 out, 9 times out of 10 I have half filled 379 out when they eventually answer the bleddy door might speed them up for next time, the only safe place if you want to keep your job is back at the office, no neighbors, I take minimum 2 full sacks back every shift, teach them a lesson for wasting my time, now I'm wasting yours, get in your car & get queuing at the office. :whistle
As far as I'm concerned , your strategy is spot on , the only flaw in your plan is how many you get for redelivery and then they are still not in , wonder what the record is for redelivery attempts, if they charged them a £1 for redelivery then that might sharpen their minds a bit more.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Parcels but no one in

Post by korky »

i have quite a few terraced houses so can knock on most without hardly moving, that's all i usually do, i only try others who i know are usually home and willing to take,
if dom ever says i must try more then he'll have to take a loop or 2 off us, not kidding but we regularly fetch back more than quite a few take out,
1850 homes and most ebay addicts :crazy:
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Parcels but no one in

Post by joewyan »

I seriously hope that some of these replies are taking the piss otherwise why do you actually do this job?