ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Parcels but no one in
-
lisag42
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
At our induction we were told to return parcels if no one is in, only leave in a Safe Place or with a neighbour if the householder has requested this. At the DO the story is different, they say leave with a neighbour regardless - going against all we were told.
I ask because yesterday I had 20 items I couldn’t offload on anyone - householder wasn’t in, next door wasn’t in. Took me way longer than it should have with all the door knocking & waiting. I’d refused to take extras as I knew I wouldn’t have time which turned out to be the case. No doubt I will get told off tomorrow, but I want your opinions before I say stuff your job.
So far training consisted of a couple of hours out with my coach with him going one way, me the other, I still feel totally lost.
I ask because yesterday I had 20 items I couldn’t offload on anyone - householder wasn’t in, next door wasn’t in. Took me way longer than it should have with all the door knocking & waiting. I’d refused to take extras as I knew I wouldn’t have time which turned out to be the case. No doubt I will get told off tomorrow, but I want your opinions before I say stuff your job.
So far training consisted of a couple of hours out with my coach with him going one way, me the other, I still feel totally lost.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Parcels but no one in
The standard procedure is to try a neighbour, regardless of whether anyone has asked for it.
The only exceptions being people who have a sticker on their door (now very faded and barely legible) stating that all items must be returned to the DO.
And no Special Deliveries or international signed for can be left with a neighbour, but the PDA tells you that anyway.
Safeplace is really only for Tracked items that have the Safeplace clearly designated on the parcel.
And then you take a picture of the parcel in the place.
The only exceptions being people who have a sticker on their door (now very faded and barely legible) stating that all items must be returned to the DO.
And no Special Deliveries or international signed for can be left with a neighbour, but the PDA tells you that anyway.
Safeplace is really only for Tracked items that have the Safeplace clearly designated on the parcel.
And then you take a picture of the parcel in the place.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
lisag42
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
So what if no one answers, as I found yesterday? I just try next door, should I be trying more?clashcityrocker wrote:The standard procedure is to try a neighbour, regardless of whether anyone has asked for it.
The only exceptions being people who have a sticker on their door (now very faded and barely legible) stating that all items must be returned to the DO.
And no Special Deliveries or international signed for can be left with a neighbour, but the PDA tells you that anyway.
Safeplace is really only for Tracked items that have the Safeplace clearly designated on the parcel.
And then you take a picture of the parcel in the place.
-
joe379
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 15:47
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
I bought back 53 items the other day, didn’t try any neighbours. Finished bang on time. Round is far too long and told manager that if I had tried neighbours I would have bought loops back. He was ok about it to be fair. They can’t have it both ways as in increase round size and trying neighbours.
-
30+YEARMAN
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
I hardly ever try neighbours,when we had our last revision and the jobs were made bigger no allowance was made for it, I just do not have the time and it states on a card I was given by the union some time ago a joint statement from Royal Mail and the CWU , DELIVERY TO A NEIGHBOUR IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE DELIVERY OPG-NOBODY ELSE. 
-
lisag42
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
It’s the trying neighbours which eats into the time, had a I not had so many I could have done at least some of the extras. I got all my post done, so it’s not like I took my stuff back without trying. As for the extras, the regular guy on that round .... how do a I put it ... takes his time!joe379 wrote:I bought back 53 items the other day, didn’t try any neighbours. Finished bang on time. Round is far too long and told manager that if I had tried neighbours I would have bought loops back. He was ok about it to be fair. They can’t have it both ways as in increase round size and trying neighbours.
If a manager wants to come out with me on a busy day then be my guest.
-
lisag42
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
Thank you, that’s good to know.30+YEARMAN wrote:I hardly ever try neighbours,when we had our last revision and the jobs were made bigger no allowance was made for it, I just do not have the time and it states on a card I was given by the union some time ago a joint statement from Royal Mail and the CWU , DELIVERY TO A NEIGHBOUR IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE DELIVERY OPG-NOBODY ELSE.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Parcels but no one in
It depends.lisag42 wrote:
So what if no one answers, as I found yesterday? I just try next door, should I be trying more?
If it is 12.30 and you still have 2 Special Deliveries to attempt before 1pm - then no.
If the neighbours house is shrouded in darkness, there are no windows open and no cars on the drive - then no.
If the house next door looks like it has been used as a shooting gallery - then no.
If you are on a regular walk, you get to know who is likely to be in and who will take packets.
When you are covering, it is a lot harder and a lot more time consuming. Time which you probably don't have.
While delivery to neighbour is at your discretion, that isn't a cop out for never trying.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Parcels but no one in
Few swift cracks with PDA on door frame, I never ring doorbell & I'm writing 739 out, 9 times out of 10 I have half filled 379 out when they eventually answer the bleddy door might speed them up for next time, the only safe place if you want to keep your job is back at the office, no neighbors, I take minimum 2 full sacks back every shift, teach them a lesson for wasting my time, now I'm wasting yours, get in your car & get queuing at the office. 
-
lisag42
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
So annoying when that happens, if only they knew the words going around in my head as they finally answer the door just as I write the last thing on a 739.mattycash wrote:Few swift cracks with PDA on door frame, I never ring doorbell & I'm writing 739 out, 9 times out of 10 I have half filled 379 out when they eventually answer the bleddy door might speed them up for next time, the only safe place if you want to keep your job is back at the office, no neighbors, I take minimum 2 full sacks back every shift, teach them a lesson for wasting my time, now I'm wasting yours, get in your car & get queuing at the office.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Parcels but no one in
I don't write much, date, 9pm,10,11,or 12, house number & last few digits of postcode, few ticks & I'm gone.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
I don't try neighbor's unless I know they are in and don't mind taking them. If at the end of the walk and I've got time I'll give parcels another go and then try the neighbor's to take me to time.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
As far as I'm concerned , your strategy is spot on , the only flaw in your plan is how many you get for redelivery and then they are still not in , wonder what the record is for redelivery attempts, if they charged them a £1 for redelivery then that might sharpen their minds a bit more.mattycash wrote:Few swift cracks with PDA on door frame, I never ring doorbell & I'm writing 739 out, 9 times out of 10 I have half filled 379 out when they eventually answer the bleddy door might speed them up for next time, the only safe place if you want to keep your job is back at the office, no neighbors, I take minimum 2 full sacks back every shift, teach them a lesson for wasting my time, now I'm wasting yours, get in your car & get queuing at the office.
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Parcels but no one in
i have quite a few terraced houses so can knock on most without hardly moving, that's all i usually do, i only try others who i know are usually home and willing to take,
if dom ever says i must try more then he'll have to take a loop or 2 off us, not kidding but we regularly fetch back more than quite a few take out,
1850 homes and most ebay addicts
if dom ever says i must try more then he'll have to take a loop or 2 off us, not kidding but we regularly fetch back more than quite a few take out,
1850 homes and most ebay addicts
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Parcels but no one in
I seriously hope that some of these replies are taking the piss otherwise why do you actually do this job?