ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Chance of getting through probation period
-
Lawrencepa2014
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
Will it be easy to get through probation? I’m 2 months in and I can be a bit slow at times. I’ve been moved about a lot so when I do new routes I can be very slow to start with. I am late back half the time. Very rarely do I get back on time on a Wednesday even if it’s a route I know well. I know I’m below the average for a postman but I was wondering if I’d still likely be kept on?
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
You have to be a complete car crash disaster of a person to fail RM probation. No-one fails.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
Its harder to NOT be kept on
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
THIS^^^^Acca Dacca wrote:Its harder to NOT be kept on
-
delboy1969
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 17:40
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
We had a bloke in our office who failed!!! But it is extremely rare to be fair.Trail wrote:You have to be a complete car crash disaster of a person to fail RM probation. No-one fails.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
You probably could take a dump on the doms desk and still be kept on 
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
if you're incredibly bad you can always move into management
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
If you enjoy drinking coffee all day and have an IQ of 13 there's only one job for you. Become a royal mail manager.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
You're doing bloody good if the only day you go over is Weds (or you've got some very cushy duties in your office)
There are usually only 2 days a week I don't go over, even now in the supposed 'light' summer period and with mail volumes supposedly at an all time low (And I've done 18 years)
There are usually only 2 days a week I don't go over, even now in the supposed 'light' summer period and with mail volumes supposedly at an all time low (And I've done 18 years)
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
I've never known anybody not be kept on. This includes one guy in my office who was off sick for about half of his 6 months on probation.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Chance of getting through probation period
We must have had 30+ new starters in the last five years.
Of those there was only one who was so bad he wasn't kept on and, having worked with him for a week, he was really bad. But probably 10 or so have left because of the way they were treated by RM.
Of those there was only one who was so bad he wasn't kept on and, having worked with him for a week, he was really bad. But probably 10 or so have left because of the way they were treated by RM.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
This is true. You're far more likely to jump than be pushed!fb1969 wrote:We must have had 30+ new starters in the last five years.
Of those there was only one who was so bad he wasn't kept on and, having worked with him for a week, he was really bad. But probably 10 or so have left because of the way they were treated by RM.
-
Startingover
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone is slow when they start, but then they pick up. Good managers also recognise this, as well as the fact that some rounds are easier than others (for example hills / flats / obstacles etc).
However, if you are not in the Union yet, I would recommend that you join, as they will help you in times of need.
Hope things improve.
However, if you are not in the Union yet, I would recommend that you join, as they will help you in times of need.
Hope things improve.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Chance of getting through probation period
The post above this one is good advice. If you turn-up on time every morning, don't take time off sick, and generally go about your day in a positive manner your skills-set will improve and you will become more efficient and quicker.
I'd suggest accuracy is more important than speed over the first few months. Loosing parcels and posting mail through the wrong doors is not good. You will find yourself in the manager's office if this happens on a regular basis. Otherwise my advice to you would be to " stick in " and do your best. Listen to what more senior posties have to say ( most will give good advice... and if you have a good Workplace Coach seek guidance here also ! )
As a new start ideally you should have been on one specific duty for a period of at least 6 weeks as this familiarity allows you to learn better and bed-down the skills required for the job. In your case you appear to have been moved about a lot ?
If you are not overly comfortable at the moment speak with your manager or the WPC and ask if it's possible to be placed on a dedicated duty for a few weeks ?
I'd suggest accuracy is more important than speed over the first few months. Loosing parcels and posting mail through the wrong doors is not good. You will find yourself in the manager's office if this happens on a regular basis. Otherwise my advice to you would be to " stick in " and do your best. Listen to what more senior posties have to say ( most will give good advice... and if you have a good Workplace Coach seek guidance here also ! )
As a new start ideally you should have been on one specific duty for a period of at least 6 weeks as this familiarity allows you to learn better and bed-down the skills required for the job. In your case you appear to have been moved about a lot ?
If you are not overly comfortable at the moment speak with your manager or the WPC and ask if it's possible to be placed on a dedicated duty for a few weeks ?