ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Letterboxes on new doors.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
Anyone else notice that the letterboxes on most new doors being fitted on new or already existing properties are mostly situated at the very bottom of the door ?? I have one of these on my walk that was effectively faulty when fitted and it is a struggle to even get letters through it. Will be funny if the legislation gets passed on low level letterboxes and is retrospective.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
How far through the parliamentary process has the legislation about low-level letterboxes got?Celgar wrote:Anyone else notice that the letterboxes on most new doors being fitted on new or already existing properties are mostly situated at the very bottom of the door ?? I have one of these on my walk that was effectively faulty when fitted and it is a struggle to even get letters through it. Will be funny if the legislation gets passed on low level letterboxes and is retrospective.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Letterboxes on new doors.
it's stuck at the front door no one can get it thru the low level letterbox
-
knackeredneedadayoff
- Posts: 342
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
just had 100 new houses built all with boxes on floor dom not interested
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
Guessing door manufacturers are flogging them off on the cheap before they get banned
-
world class male
- Posts: 903
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
not 100% certain, but thought the bill to have letterboxes set at a minimum height was just for new-build homes, if so, anyone just buying a new front door to fit on an older home the slot could still be anywhere.Jpro747 wrote:Guessing door manufacturers are flogging them off on the cheap before they get banned
i have a small street where they're all at the bottom and have very strong springs, if i can't force mail through in 1 hard shove it gets left hanging out, could quite easy bust a finger on a cold day
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Letterboxes on new doors.
Have noticed a lot of new builds with letter boxes that have the inside flap restricted to a 45 degree opening so trying to get anything other than a flimsy pizza leaflet to go through the door is a nightmare, luckily p739 cards go through ok.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Mr Blonde
- Posts: 337
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44
Letterboxes on new doors.
Just had new doors on the flats on my delivery, I said to one resident that it feels as though something is blocking it and she showed me the other side of the door, there is a physical unit on there. If it doesn't bend downwards it's not going through.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Letterboxes on new doors.
I had a ground level & very slim letterbox on my walk so I knocked every visit with the mail, if no one answered I dated it & put it back in frame until next day, he soon fitted an outdoor metal box.
-
2pints
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
Lucky you were not done for wilful delay.mattycash wrote:I had a ground level & very slim letterbox on my walk so I knocked every visit with the mail, if no one answered I dated it & put it back in frame until next day, he soon fitted an outdoor metal box.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Letterboxes on new doors.
Those letter boxes on composite doors are terrible
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
Outer flap that doesn't lift beyond ninety decrees, thicket of unpassable bristles that contain as yet undiscovered rainforest tribes then an inner flap that lifts less than the outer one. This flap also has either an inner lip that catches every letter like a vice or a superfluous lining of insulating rubber foam (no heat is getting in or out via this letterbox ffs, probably f***ing airtight too) that acts similarly.
I feel like Robin Hood escaping the drawbridge and portcullis combo after negotiating one of these setups.
Customers deserve mangled papier-mâché post sometimes.
I feel like Robin Hood escaping the drawbridge and portcullis combo after negotiating one of these setups.
Customers deserve mangled papier-mâché post sometimes.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Letterboxes on new doors.
That`s to prevent things like pushing burning stuff or fireworks through the letter box, poo etc like it happened in few cases when houses burned down ...GT85 wrote:Have noticed a lot of new builds with letter boxes that have the inside flap restricted to a 45 degree opening so trying to get anything other than a flimsy pizza leaflet to go through the door is a nightmare, luckily p739 cards go through ok.
Just 2 of the many cases:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... erbox.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4846763/b ... etter-box/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I understand that and I agree with people wanting to feel safe in their homes.
If it doesn`t go through, I knock, no one home, I leave a 739, simples.
Also on low level flaps I make sure I fold and push the letters through so they get stack and the owners with brilliant ideas to fit a low level flap will have to bend to pick them up. It`s the least I can do for their backs, return the favour.
-
Dex7
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 20 Jul 2018, 12:35
- Gender: Male
Letterboxes on new doors.
Had a few low letterboxes with these stickers attached also



-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Letterboxes on new doors.
Dog behind? Does the sticker say push my mail through so it lands on the floor?Dex7 wrote:Had a few low letterboxes with these stickers attached also
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()