ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postboxes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by Seymour Buts »

What is the rule on giving people letters back? A guy stopped me today and said he'd put a letter in the box this morning with just his name on it; I explained it had already been collected and there was nothing I could do. That was a half truth, I'd already collected the box because it's one I drive past on my route before the final posting time; I collect the mail leaving just handful of letters come final collection time.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by number one »

postietom wrote:What is the rule on giving people letters back? A guy stopped me today and said he'd put a letter in the box this morning with just his name on it; I explained it had already been collected and there was nothing I could do. That was a half truth, I'd already collected the box because it's one I drive past on my route before the final posting time; I collect the mail leaving just handful of letters come final collection time.
1. You shouldn’t be emptying the box before the collection time irrespective if you scan it or not.

2. Common sense approach, if he describes the letter to you with what the mame is on it then give it him back.

I had a bloke post £1000 in an envelope once when he posted his Christmas cards. Of course I gave it him back. Don’t be a jobsworth
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by rambo1 »

Once it's in the box it's been trusted to royal mail. This bloke could be anyone. If you don't want to be confrontational, then blagg it that it's been emptied by someone else. Not worth risking your job for. This bloke could be the royal mail police for all you know, in which case, you would be without a job there and then.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by Seymour Buts »

I didn't give it him. It was in the back of the van mixed in a bag with 100's of other letters. I never give people stuff back; the most I do is allow somebody to put a stamp on a letter if they've posted a card without one. I was just wondering what the official line is.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by number one »

rambo1 wrote:Once it's in the box it's been trusted to royal mail. This bloke could be anyone. If you don't want to be confrontational, then blagg it that it's been emptied by someone else. Not worth risking your job for. This bloke could be the royal mail police for all you know, in which case, you would be without a job there and then.
Utter rubbish, common sense approach should be used.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by danterossetti »

Ask for the address and write it on the letter.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by SpacePhoenix »

number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:Once it's in the box it's been trusted to royal mail. This bloke could be anyone. If you don't want to be confrontational, then blagg it that it's been emptied by someone else. Not worth risking your job for. This bloke could be the royal mail police for all you know, in which case, you would be without a job there and then.
Utter rubbish, common sense approach should be used.
My gut feeling is that IB would conduct code you and at best you'd be looking at a 2 years serious
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by sirchewey »

Common sense needed as Number1 says but if in doubt phone it through then the responsibility shifts to management to make the decision.

With regards to someone putting £1000 cash in a post box would in my mind be a call to management. If any of that money were to go missing then I wouldn't want to be accused or held liable. RM have in the past put things in boxes to catch people out like loose cash etc.
Personally I'd shut the box down, so no further mail is compromised by removing the plate, bung the slot with an empty mail bag and phone it through, just like you do when someone posts nasties in a box. Dont touch the mail just call it through. If they can provide evidence of what they posted then they will get it back, will just take a day or so depending on how quick RM sort it.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by miles_peters »

number one wrote:
postietom wrote:What is the rule on giving people letters back? A guy stopped me today and said he'd put a letter in the box this morning with just his name on it; I explained it had already been collected and there was nothing I could do. That was a half truth, I'd already collected the box because it's one I drive past on my route before the final posting time; I collect the mail leaving just handful of letters come final collection time.
1. You shouldn’t be emptying the box before the collection time irrespective if you scan it or not.

2. Common sense approach, if he describes the letter to you with what the mame is on it then give it him back.

I had a bloke post £1000 in an envelope once when he posted his Christmas cards. Of course I gave it him back. Don’t be a jobsworth
risky and potential conduct
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Postboxes

Post by twoloops »

I used to have an old lady who would give me mail at her doorstep to post in the letterbox, this was before we emptied them, is that okay?
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by sirchewey »

mattycash wrote:I used to have an old lady who would give me mail at her doorstep to post in the letterbox, this was before we emptied them, is that okay?
Not officially as customers are required to pay for collections. I very much doubt you would ever be conduct coded for accepting one off mail for old ladies struggling to get to a postbox lol If a business was giving you mail to post on a daily basis then that would be a different matter entirely.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by number one »

miles_peters wrote:
number one wrote:
postietom wrote:What is the rule on giving people letters back? A guy stopped me today and said he'd put a letter in the box this morning with just his name on it; I explained it had already been collected and there was nothing I could do. That was a half truth, I'd already collected the box because it's one I drive past on my route before the final posting time; I collect the mail leaving just handful of letters come final collection time.
1. You shouldn’t be emptying the box before the collection time irrespective if you scan it or not.

2. Common sense approach, if he describes the letter to you with what the mame is on it then give it him back.

I had a bloke post £1000 in an envelope once when he posted his Christmas cards. Of course I gave it him back. Don’t be a jobsworth
risky and potential conduct
Good luck trying to conduct me on that
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by Seymour Buts »

Like so much at Royal Mail then it would appear it's left to us to make a judgement call! I felt heartless 'coz the old boy seemed genuine, I ain't got a clue who he was though.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Postboxes

Post by twoloops »

Found one of those small Poundland mouse traps in one of my boxes today :no no
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Postboxes

Post by Seymour Buts »

mattycash wrote:Found one of those small Poundland mouse traps in one of my boxes today :no no
If you've got a mouse problem you should probably inform Romec rather than buying cheap traps :no no