ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hours all over the show

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by lisag42 »

Any other part timers find their hours are all over the show and they dont actually know what they are? I understand days off change, but each day my start time changes as does my finish time. One day I need to do 6 hrs, next its 6.45, but there is no pattern to it. Means I never know what my start time should be, nor my finish time. If I go over I should book the extra but not knowing how many hrs I should be doing that day makes it impossible to know if I should be booking extra. Must have done several hrs extra but cannot confirm that not knowing what I should be doing.

I know others in my place are they same but is it a company wide issue?
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Hours all over the show

Post by twoloops »

I had a new starter with me one day last week, she showed me the list of days/start/finish times the Dom had given her, it added up to over 30 hours with no mention of claiming for overtime on a 22 & half hour contract :speak to the hand
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by lisag42 »

mattycash wrote:I had a new starter with me one day last week, she showed me the list of days/start/finish times the Dom had given her, it added up to over 30 hours with no mention of claiming for overtime on a 22 & half hour contract :speak to the hand
That’s bad, it’s like they are trying to con part timers into full time work but not give them the pay. I don’t even have a list of what the hrs should be, and as my pair works different hrs to me I can go on what she does. Job is great but the ‘management’ side lets it down.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Hours all over the show

Post by Janet Brum »

If your contract is 25 hours, you should work 5 hours over 5 days, minus your 30 minutes break.
What`s over 25 hours is overtime.
Make a note with the OT worked each day and tell your manager how many hours OT he has to pay you.
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by lisag42 »

Janet Brum wrote:If your contract is 25 hours, you should work 5 hours over 5 days, minus your 30 minutes break.
What`s over 25 hours is overtime.
Make a note with the OT worked each day and tell your manager how many hours OT he has to pay you.
That’s what I was led to believe at interview, but once I started I was told it’s 25hrs over 4 days. Split evenly that’s 6 hrs 15 a day, but in reality it’s not. Some days Im told it’s 6hrs 45, others 6hrs 30 - fine if someone could tell me which day is which, but they don’t.

If we don’t book OT on the day it happens it’s too late, but unless I know what hrs I should be doing that day it’s impossible to know if I’ve gone over or not. Add it up at the end of the week and it’s likely I have but then it’s too late too book.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Hours all over the show

Post by Janet Brum »

It`s never too late, ask your manager to pay you, he has to.
Dezzy79
Posts: 48
Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 06:22
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by Dezzy79 »

Do you not sign in every morning? It tells you your times on the sign in sheet. At my DO times are different each day but all Mondays, Tues wedns etc will be the same each week. You shouldn't finish at 3 one Wednesday and 2 the next one. That's how it works at mine anyway
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by lisag42 »

Dezzy79 wrote:Do you not sign in every morning? It tells you your times on the sign in sheet. At my DO times are different each day but all Mondays, Tues wedns etc will be the same each week. You shouldn't finish at 3 one Wednesday and 2 the next one. That's how it works at mine anyway
Yes but I have to write my name on as all us new staff don’t show on the list. That said it only shows the hrs for full time staff, anyone part time has to write their start/end times on as it’s blank.

Looking back my start & end times don’t match on the same days. One Monday I was told to start at 8.15 to do 6h 45mins shift, but another week it was 7.45 start to do 6h 15mins - just no consistency - that’s before they add several loops or a stack of packets from someone else which takes a further 2 hrs on top of my own work. I wanted part-time work, not 7+ hr shifts (bearing in mind I was told it was 5 hr shifts at interview).
Dezzy79
Posts: 48
Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 06:22
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by Dezzy79 »

lisag42 wrote:
Dezzy79 wrote:Do you not sign in every morning? It tells you your times on the sign in sheet. At my DO times are different each day but all Mondays, Tues wedns etc will be the same each week. You shouldn't finish at 3 one Wednesday and 2 the next one. That's how it works at mine anyway
Yes but I have to write my name on as all us new staff don’t show on the list. That said it only shows the hrs for full time staff, anyone part time has to write their start/end times on as it’s blank.

Looking back my start & end times don’t match on the same days. One Monday I was told to start at 8.15 to do 6h 45mins shift, but another week it was 7.45 start to do 6h 15mins - just no consistency - that’s before they add several loops or a stack of packets from someone else which takes a further 2 hrs on top of my own work. I wanted part-time work, not 7+ hr shifts (bearing in mind I was told it was 5 hr shifts at interview).
makes my office look like a well oiled machine. I'm part time but start same time everyday and finish at 3 on Wednesday and Thursday and 2 or half to other days. Ive found they hate paying over time though.
Dezzy79
Posts: 48
Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 06:22
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by Dezzy79 »

Dezzy79 wrote:
lisag42 wrote:
Dezzy79 wrote:Do you not sign in every morning? It tells you your times on the sign in sheet. At my DO times are different each day but all Mondays, Tues wedns etc will be the same each week. You shouldn't finish at 3 one Wednesday and 2 the next one. That's how it works at mine anyway
Yes but I have to write my name on as all us new staff don’t show on the list. That said it only shows the hrs for full time staff, anyone part time has to write their start/end times on as it’s blank.

Looking back my start & end times don’t match on the same days. One Monday I was told to start at 8.15 to do 6h 45mins shift, but another week it was 7.45 start to do 6h 15mins - just no consistency - that’s before they add several loops or a stack of packets from someone else which takes a further 2 hrs on top of my own work. I wanted part-time work, not 7+ hr shifts (bearing in mind I was told it was 5 hr shifts at interview).
makes my office look like a well oiled machine. I'm part time but start same time everyday and finish at 3 on Wednesday and Thursday and 2 or half to other days. Ive found they hate paying over time though.
Join the union they will help you
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by lisag42 »

Dezzy79 wrote:
Dezzy79 wrote:
lisag42 wrote:
Dezzy79 wrote:Do you not sign in every morning? It tells you your times on the sign in sheet. At my DO times are different each day but all Mondays, Tues wedns etc will be the same each week. You shouldn't finish at 3 one Wednesday and 2 the next one. That's how it works at mine anyway
Yes but I have to write my name on as all us new staff don’t show on the list. That said it only shows the hrs for full time staff, anyone part time has to write their start/end times on as it’s blank.

Looking back my start & end times don’t match on the same days. One Monday I was told to start at 8.15 to do 6h 45mins shift, but another week it was 7.45 start to do 6h 15mins - just no consistency - that’s before they add several loops or a stack of packets from someone else which takes a further 2 hrs on top of my own work. I wanted part-time work, not 7+ hr shifts (bearing in mind I was told it was 5 hr shifts at interview).
makes my office look like a well oiled machine. I'm part time but start same time everyday and finish at 3 on Wednesday and Thursday and 2 or half to other days. Ive found they hate paying over time though.
Join the union they will help you
I’m in the union, never thought of taking it up with them. Will find out who I need to speak with tomorrow. Going to be my last resort before I pack it in, got nowhere talking to management. I can understand now why they have such a high turnover of staff at my DO.
Dezzy79
Posts: 48
Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 06:22
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by Dezzy79 »

lisag42 wrote:
Dezzy79 wrote:
Dezzy79 wrote:
lisag42 wrote:
Dezzy79 wrote:Do you not sign in every morning? It tells you your times on the sign in sheet. At my DO times are different each day but all Mondays, Tues wedns etc will be the same each week. You shouldn't finish at 3 one Wednesday and 2 the next one. That's how it works at mine anyway
Yes but I have to write my name on as all us new staff don’t show on the list. That said it only shows the hrs for full time staff, anyone part time has to write their start/end times on as it’s blank.

Looking back my start & end times don’t match on the same days. One Monday I was told to start at 8.15 to do 6h 45mins shift, but another week it was 7.45 start to do 6h 15mins - just no consistency - that’s before they add several loops or a stack of packets from someone else which takes a further 2 hrs on top of my own work. I wanted part-time work, not 7+ hr shifts (bearing in mind I was told it was 5 hr shifts at interview).
makes my office look like a well oiled machine. I'm part time but start same time everyday and finish at 3 on Wednesday and Thursday and 2 or half to other days. Ive found they hate paying over time though.
Join the union they will help you
I’m in the union, never thought of taking it up with them. Will find out who I need to speak with tomorrow. Going to be my last resort before I pack it in, got nowhere talking to management. I can understand now why they have such a high turnover of staff at my DO.
That's what you pay for. They will help you. Hope it works out
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by 97gaz »

J
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by robbertwhitton »

What a shameful state yet again,this. Company out to shaft you at every corner,you simply can’t make it up what goes on,who’s accountable for this mess,I guess they know they are doing it?.
kingdazzler
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Mar 2019, 13:29
Gender: Male

Hours all over the show

Post by kingdazzler »

i'm on a 25hr contract over 5 days, so anything i work over 5hrs each day is booked as extra. don't work for free.