ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dreading next week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by grandypants »

I suffer with anxiety and depression and anything out of the ordinary really really disturbs me, I know next week things are going to be implemented by our manager and probably there will either be a sit in or a walk out, I cannot cope with this sort of situation I cannot cope with my routine being broken , Im sure most will not understand why I wont sit in the canteen or stand on the gate I just want to stay away and go home people see it as a lack of support but that is not the case its just the way I am, this weekend has been spent worrying about Monday morning and what it brings.
Bluenose
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 May 2007, 19:24

Dreading next week

Post by Bluenose »

Feeling this way must be very upsetting for you, I know it’s a cliche but you really do need to talk to someone about how you feel there really are people who can help have you tried OH through Royal Mail or your GP ? Bottling things up rarely solves the problems. Good luck with everything things usually don’t turn out as bad as you think try and put positive thoughts in your mind about good times you may have had push the bad thoughts away
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by Sledge4211 »

grandypants wrote:I suffer with anxiety and depression and anything out of the ordinary really really disturbs me, I know next week things are going to be implemented by our manager and probably there will either be a sit in or a walk out, I cannot cope with this sort of situation I cannot cope with my routine being broken , Im sure most will not understand why I wont sit in the canteen or stand on the gate I just want to stay away and go home people see it as a lack of support but that is not the case its just the way I am, this weekend has been spent worrying about Monday morning and what it brings.
I’m in the same boat as you right now! Exactly the same situation! Monday is D DAY for me too
portadown
Posts: 169
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 17:19

Dreading next week

Post by portadown »

I think u need to to get appointment with ur gp and tell him how ur feeling they r there to help u do what u want to do and dont worry what every one in ur office thinks
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by wacko74 »

Surely your stress and anxiety would suffer equally badly at the thought of management just walking all over you and your colleagues at will and implementing any changes to your daily routine and working practices they feel like.

At least you appear to be in an office where your fellow workers are prepared to stand up for themselves and try and protect the daily routine that you currently value so highly.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by scoobydo79 »

Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by Ren Hoëk »

scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
Nice to see we have empathy and solidarity with our fellow colleagues. :arrrghhh
Last edited by Ren Hoëk on 17 Jun 2019, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Dreading next week

Post by LouBarlow »

scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
I suppose you tell people with mental health issues to 'man up' too right? Appalling attitude.
Bluenose
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 May 2007, 19:24

Dreading next week

Post by Bluenose »

Ignore the ignorant people on here who clearly have no idea how anxiety and depression can take over. How did it go today was it as bad as you thought it might be ?
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by Ren Hoëk »

LouBarlow wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
I suppose you tell people with mental health issues to 'man up' too right? Appalling attitude.
Aint it just? I can only speak for my office but people's attitudes towards mental health are appalling. Not just that. Rampant sexism, homophobia and just the general low key bullying that persist in the name of banter. Iv worked in various places and the delivery office really is like a throw back to another time. Our DOM has no backbone when it comes to addressing it.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by leolion855 »

cant you deliver as normal?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dreading next week

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
You do realise that not everyone gets sent to the front line, does that mean those offering support and facing danger in a different way are somehow less important or are making less of a sacrifice.
grandypants wrote:I suffer with anxiety and depression and anything out of the ordinary really really disturbs me, I know next week things are going to be implemented by our manager and probably there will either be a sit in or a walk out, I cannot cope with this sort of situation I cannot cope with my routine being broken , Im sure most will not understand why I wont sit in the canteen or stand on the gate I just want to stay away and go home people see it as a lack of support but that is not the case its just the way I am, this weekend has been spent worrying about Monday morning and what it brings.
If there is an unofficial walk out then its unavoidable that you'll have to make a decision to either go out with your colleagues or stay in and work. My recommendation would be to stay with your colleagues and support them and let them support you, it is scary, it is stressful, but not following your colleagues will be more stressful and isolating. I'll tell you a secret, there will be no-one on the gate or in the canteen that won't be feeling stress and discomfort, but at least you will be feeling it all together.

If there is an official strike then as they have to give notice to the business there is nothing wrong on staying at home on strike days. Just by not working you are acting in solidarity with your friends and colleagues. To be frank, on official strike only a small minority actually turn up on the picket line, most will take it as a chance of having a lie in or an unpaid day off - and there is nothing wrong in that.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by scoobydo79 »

Guys You have taken what I said the wrong way entirely TrueBlueTerrier has done a better job of saying what I meant to say. I will leave it at this.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by Sledge4211 »

scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
People like you shouldn’t even be in Royal Mail - you have no understanding with people with mental health issues, DISGRACE
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dreading next week

Post by scoobydo79 »

Sledge4211 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Time to grow a pair.Were all in it together things will only get worse if We all shut our eyes and hope for a quiet life.
People like you shouldn’t even be in Royal Mail - you have no understanding with people with mental health issues, DISGRACE
You don’t know Me and You and I have never Met.You have no right to say that.Perhaps it’s You who should not be in Royal Mail?