ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tips to be quicker?
-
Lawrencepa2014
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Tips to be quicker?
Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
Dont take arnolds advicearnold cheshire wrote:Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Tips to be quicker?
I'm not serious just do the best you can . Reboot your PDA every morningaiden01 wrote:Dont take arnolds advicearnold cheshire wrote:Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
during probation i might be more inclined to cut corners, RM have a track record of getting rid of those "not up to scratch" proven on these very boards.aiden01 wrote:Dont take arnolds advice :thumbdownarnold cheshire wrote:Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Tips to be quicker?
what's your advice aidenaiden01 wrote:Dont take arnolds advicearnold cheshire wrote:Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
-
Scama_bug
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 22:43
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
What do you mean by cutting corners ? I'm on probation as well, we are like 8-10 people that have started at the same time, do they keep all of us or they are hiring more people as they expect some of them to quit in the first few weeks?Postie45 wrote:during probation i might be more inclined to cut corners, RM have a track record of getting rid of those "not up to scratch" proven on these very boards.aiden01 wrote:Dont take arnolds advicearnold cheshire wrote:Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
And after 6 months if they dont need that much staff they could just get rid of us for some stupid reasons ? Thank you
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
I mean in the initial probation I`d recommend to do what it takes to keep your job if you want to stay at RM long term. At a minimum i would suggest completing your duty everyday without consistently booking OT.Scama_bug wrote:Postie45 wrote:
What do you mean by cutting corners ? I'm on probation as well, we are like 8-10 people that have started at the same time, do they keep all of us or they are hiring more people as they expect some of them to quit in the first few weeks?
And after 6 months if they dont need that much staff they could just get rid of us for some stupid reasons ? Thank you :Boo hoo!
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
Work the hours that rm pay you no more no less.. unless you like to do ot very simple.arnold cheshire wrote:what's your advice aidenaiden01 wrote:Dont take arnolds advicearnold cheshire wrote:Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
So work for free then wtf.Postie45 wrote:I mean in the initial probation I`d recommend to do what it takes to keep your job if you want to stay at RM long term. At a minimum i would suggest completing your duty everyday without consistently booking OT.Scama_bug wrote:Postie45 wrote:
What do you mean by cutting corners ? I'm on probation as well, we are like 8-10 people that have started at the same time, do they keep all of us or they are hiring more people as they expect some of them to quit in the first few weeks?
And after 6 months if they dont need that much staff they could just get rid of us for some stupid reasons ? Thank you
-
Gasman11
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
Its not a race, just do the job in a steady, dilligent manner and you'll gradually improve your approach to the job with experience. Make sure your bags are organised, i like to put my packets in sequential order behind the bundles of mail so im not rooting around. Make sure you have the right tools on you at all times (a decent pen, 739s, neighbours cards and your PDA. Doing it this way, you'll think more clearly, make fewer mistakes and are likely to bring back only a nominal amount of parcels each day so you shouldnt have your dom on your case. Good luck, dont be a runner.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
Believe in it. Feel it. Be part of it ! If one wishes to get faster/ better/ smarter in the job you've got to get to that place in your head first before it becomes a reality.
It's rather like "The Force" in Star Wars
You've got to harness the positive energy out there, believe in it and yourself and things will slowly fall into place over time.
Organisation before leaving the office will also assist you. If on a regular job get into the habit of tying up your loops the same way every day. Have a dedicated pocket for your PDA, pen, P739s , keys etc so when you reach for them they are there. Overall I'd say go about your job conscientiously (without running) and do the best you can every day. If you do this you'll get quicker ... but better still... you'll become a good postie
Good luck... and may the force be with you....
It's rather like "The Force" in Star Wars
Organisation before leaving the office will also assist you. If on a regular job get into the habit of tying up your loops the same way every day. Have a dedicated pocket for your PDA, pen, P739s , keys etc so when you reach for them they are there. Overall I'd say go about your job conscientiously (without running) and do the best you can every day. If you do this you'll get quicker ... but better still... you'll become a good postie
Good luck... and may the force be with you....
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
If RM have hired that many new posties at your DO they do need you. They don't recruit excess staff or more than they actually need. Even posties that have been in the job for decades cannot complete the job within duty time. There are less letters nowadays but we have many more packets, parcels, & items with various barcodes that more than make up the difference in time. Just do your best, try not to get too stressed or worried, and you will be alright.Scama_bug wrote:What do you mean by cutting corners ? I'm on probation as well, we are like 8-10 people that have started at the same time, do they keep all of us or they are hiring more people as they expect some of them to quit in the first few weeks?Postie45 wrote:during probation i might be more inclined to cut corners, RM have a track record of getting rid of those "not up to scratch" proven on these very boards.aiden01 wrote:Dont take arnolds advicearnold cheshire wrote:Come in early don't take a breakLawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
And after 6 months if they dont need that much staff they could just get rid of us for some stupid reasons ? Thank you
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
world class male
- Posts: 903
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Tips to be quicker?
don't try too many neighbours, or none even, some can add say 2/3 minutes per go, can add up at the end of the day if you do currently try them, don't wait too long to start filling a p739, date,town half of postcode can be used on the next if they answer,Lawrencepa2014 wrote:Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
keep your pda somewhere that you can quickly access, i know some who lock and put it away every 2 minutes, i keep mine behind the bundle unless d2d there, the amount of scans needed these days is unbelievable,
footwear? are you comfortable in RM issue, some will slow you down over the day, a doctors note allows you to wear your own suitable trainers,
are you on a shared duty and other guy is always waiting? not fair to ask them to make their loops bigger to balance it out but most shouldn't mind if you take the odd packet out for them to drive to, i usually look at both loops when bagging up and can see that 1 will take longer than the other and know to adjust it, or leave it if i know i'd like a quick cig
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Tips to be quicker?
I am not sure what you do? Are you part time, full time, a floater, do you have your own walk?Lawrencepa2014 wrote:I’m 9 weeks in and I’m still too slow. I get back late too much. I feel like I might not get through probation. Have you got any advice for me to be quicker on my round?
For me, as a part timer who gets moved around, I find I work at an ok speed for the time I have been in the job. If I and fellow Postie go over our time, which we regularly do, it could be because the round wasn't prepped by the time I get in or because there is a ridiculous amount of post.
It doesn't help that none of the frames are ever bagged up as the frame appears and it doesn't help that some frames don't have any written guide on how to bag them up. It doesn't help that the top shelf where you put parcels has all sorts of unclear scribblings on them. I definitely think these frames could be better organised.
Out on the walk to get quicker is to take shortcuts....but that's up to you if you do that and what shortcuts you take. You can also simply walk faster, have pens, pdas, keys etc in easily accessible places so that you are not fiddling around looking for them. Knock and ring doorbells as I think a lot of doorbells don't actually work.
If you think you can't complete say something and leave some parcels behind, or bring them back.