ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Joining the Union

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Seymour Buts »

I've never joined, should've done to be quite honest but nobody has ever asked me to. I expected our rep to ask when I started, but he's useless to be quite honest. The only thing is I don't want a penny of mine going to the Labour party, am I right in thinking you have to opt in nowadays? And what's the best way to do it? Online? I always try and use the postal system if I can.
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Joining the Union

Post by apple »

go to the cwu page, you can do it online, but you can ask for a form if you prefer, the money doesn't go to the Labour Party it goes to a political fund, but you can opt in out/ which ever it is, its worth doing, useless rep, I understand, that's why I'm doing the job now, very daunting and a lot to learn, I will make mistakes along the way, piss people off, I'm sure, but I'm here to retain hours and jobs not to be popular! why not give it a go?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Seymour Buts »

I've been critical of them in the past and money being spent turning up at anti trump rallies ect pisses me off, I don't care about politics frankly; their job is to look out for us workers when we need it. That said, it is a good thing and we enjoy decent terms and conditions because of them; we should support them. Especially with what's coming, there's gonna be trouble down the road I reckon.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Trail »

Waste of £4 a month.

They represented me in a disciplinary, and basically just turned up to four meetings. Absolutely f***ing hopeless.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Postie45 »

Trail wrote:Waste of £4 a month.

They represented me in a disciplinary, and basically just turned up to four meetings. Absolutely f***ing hopeless.
Sorry they didnt work out for you, i had the opposite experience and they helped me out a great deal.
sf25
Posts: 43
Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 13:57
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by sf25 »

£4 a month?? Why have I been getting charged £10 a month??
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Seymour Buts »

The charge depends on your contracted hours I think.
sf25
Posts: 43
Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 13:57
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by sf25 »

postietom wrote:The charge depends on your contracted hours I think.
Maybe. I need to cancel mine anyway as I am leaving RM after 8 years in the job. Any idea how to cancel or do I just cancel the direct debit?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Joining the Union

Post by k979aaa »

sf25 wrote:
postietom wrote:The charge depends on your contracted hours I think.
Maybe. I need to cancel mine anyway as I am leaving RM after 8 years in the job. Any idea how to cancel or do I just cancel the direct debit?
Tell your Manager I am sure he will be rubbing his hands as he does it on the PSP for you!
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Seymour Buts »

sf25 wrote:
postietom wrote:The charge depends on your contracted hours I think.
Maybe. I need to cancel mine anyway as I am leaving RM after 8 years in the job. Any idea how to cancel or do I just cancel the direct debit?
What you going on to do?
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by joewyan »

postietom wrote:I've never joined, should've done to be quite honest but nobody has ever asked me to. I expected our rep to ask when I started, but he's useless to be quite honest. The only thing is I don't want a penny of mine going to the Labour party, am I right in thinking you have to opt in nowadays? And what's the best way to do it? Online? I always try and use the postal system if I can.
If you think your rep is useless then why waste your money?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Seymour Buts »

Our rep does it because nobody else wants to, I certainly wouldn't do it so I can't really blame him. He openly says he'll move aside if somebody else wants to do it so I can't really have a go. I'm gonna join to support the union, it's that simple. We're gonna need it shortly I reckon!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by aiden01 »

postietom wrote:Our rep does it because nobody else wants to, I certainly wouldn't do it so I can't really blame him. He openly says he'll move aside if somebody else wants to do it so I can't really have a go. I'm gonna join to support the union, it's that simple. We're gonna need it shortly I reckon!
Fair play join in some good reps some crap ones but life aint get us all hppiness good luck if you ever need helg from union..
sf25
Posts: 43
Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 13:57
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by sf25 »

postietom wrote:
sf25 wrote:
postietom wrote:The charge depends on your contracted hours I think.
Maybe. I need to cancel mine anyway as I am leaving RM after 8 years in the job. Any idea how to cancel or do I just cancel the direct debit?
What you going on to do?
Going into the rail industry. Got fed up having to rely on overtime and still being a reserve after 8 years. Shame because I do enjoy the job most of the time and I like the people I work with.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Joining the Union

Post by Celgar »

Most posties join the union as an insurance policy if they make a mistake on the job. If RM turn on you the union can usually save you unless you have done something really daft. You don't have to pay the political donation part to the Labour Party if you don't want to. Sounds like RM are going to start using the PDA data against us soon so we may all need to call on the union for assistance soon.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.