ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Hi. I recently got a dog bite on my leg, the dog was small but it bit through my skin and left a bit of a nasty mess. Im friendly with the woman but the dog came from behind her and bit me. Ive been into work and done an accident form but ive chosen to do a few days of light indoor work as my leg is painful. I also contacted the police, got a crime number but told them initially I didnt want to take it further.
Anyway a collegue has told me to put im a claim against the customer however I do have a conscience and part of me feels that I dont want to add stress to the person( with her condition etc as she is disabled) although on the other hand iam injured and had to endure a stressful day with A&E and is also an inconvenience for me. The injury probably wont scar but the dogs teeth did clearly sink into me and I have pics to show this etc and does look a bit nasty.
"If" I did put a claim in then is there a chance id get nothing anyway??. What would people do in my shoes. I know the decision is mine and it was the customers negligence that I also need to remember.
Anyway a collegue has told me to put im a claim against the customer however I do have a conscience and part of me feels that I dont want to add stress to the person( with her condition etc as she is disabled) although on the other hand iam injured and had to endure a stressful day with A&E and is also an inconvenience for me. The injury probably wont scar but the dogs teeth did clearly sink into me and I have pics to show this etc and does look a bit nasty.
"If" I did put a claim in then is there a chance id get nothing anyway??. What would people do in my shoes. I know the decision is mine and it was the customers negligence that I also need to remember.
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
I know a guy got thousands for a tiny nip. Go through the union line.
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
https://www.cwu.org/unionline/personal- ... s-service/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
You say you are friendly with the customer and that you wouldn't want to cause her stress due to her medical conditions. How apologetic were they? Is the dog rabid and out of control? Do you think they will take more care in the future? Were you seriously injured? Is there any long lasting damage that will cause you distress/cause you to lose income. Have you lost income? Do you consider a days inconvenience in hospital something that should receive financial compensation for?
If she was truly sorry and all it was was a nasty bite that will fully heal with no more issues. I wouldn't myself but would trust that my DOM would go and have a serious conversation with her about the implications if it were to happen again. Even a mail collect if necessary.
If she was truly sorry and all it was was a nasty bite that will fully heal with no more issues. I wouldn't myself but would trust that my DOM would go and have a serious conversation with her about the implications if it were to happen again. Even a mail collect if necessary.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Let it go .Shes learnt Her lesson.Probably won’t happen again and no doubt was verry sorry it happened.
-
ebbzie
- Posts: 660
- Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Probably lol There always sorry but thats no guarantee it wont happen againscoobydo79 wrote:Let it go .Shes learnt Her lesson.Probably won’t happen again and no doubt was verry sorry it happened.
-
glass joe
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Don't go through the union for a dog bite you will get 70% less than going through a no win no fee lawyer.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Well it’s all about being a responsible dog owner,and doing the right thing,has it has previous? Has a dog warden been involved? Had a nasty bite in our office,it wasn’t dealt with very well,the owner should be told how serious it is,or they end up just laughing it off and taking the mick,a bite is a bite,it could have been a child and been nasty,I’m sure the system isn’t fit for purpose and doesn’t get followed,
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
i mean if youre not left with permanent scars or injury youre not going to get much compensation, unless you go down the psychological "im so emotionally scarred that i cant go near dogs anymore" route, which would be a stretch given the circumstances.
Going to A&E and a week of being slightly (?) inconvenienced yet still being paid by RM is hard to put much of a figure on. If you had loss of earnings then it would be worthy of compensation for earnings lost. I cant imagine you would get more than £50 as a token amount if you can show inconvenience caused and to fund any medical supplies you may have purchased to treat the injury.
If youre left with a scar then you definitely have more rights to a bigger claim, you say you wont be left with a scar, but see how it is after healing is complete.
Only you can make this decision whether you feel its moral or not to pursue this. I can see being left with a scar as being worthy of holding the owner blameworthy, at the same time i can understand why someone wouldnt want to sue a disabled person for a minor scar.
Going to A&E and a week of being slightly (?) inconvenienced yet still being paid by RM is hard to put much of a figure on. If you had loss of earnings then it would be worthy of compensation for earnings lost. I cant imagine you would get more than £50 as a token amount if you can show inconvenience caused and to fund any medical supplies you may have purchased to treat the injury.
If youre left with a scar then you definitely have more rights to a bigger claim, you say you wont be left with a scar, but see how it is after healing is complete.
Only you can make this decision whether you feel its moral or not to pursue this. I can see being left with a scar as being worthy of holding the owner blameworthy, at the same time i can understand why someone wouldnt want to sue a disabled person for a minor scar.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
How you know this ferocious dog will not do it again? Could be the face of a small child it mauls next? How would you feel about that? I would insist the blood thirsty mutt is put down, terminated, destroyed, end of. 
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
It is NOT ok that dog owners allow their defensive, territorial pets to roam free to bite people. These dogs are like weapons.
How can it be ok for these owners to let this happen...it is NOT ok, it is messed up!!!
If I owned a territorial dog then I'd keep it out of the way. I'd never open the door and let it run out, I'd put it in another room first. I'd never leave it loose in a front garden.
I was bitten by a small dog, have been chased down the street by a dog which the owner let run out of her house.....it's only a matter of time i get properly bitten.
A dog biting you should be treated the same way as a human biting you - assault, and the owner should get shafted for it.
How can it be ok for these owners to let this happen...it is NOT ok, it is messed up!!!
If I owned a territorial dog then I'd keep it out of the way. I'd never open the door and let it run out, I'd put it in another room first. I'd never leave it loose in a front garden.
I was bitten by a small dog, have been chased down the street by a dog which the owner let run out of her house.....it's only a matter of time i get properly bitten.
A dog biting you should be treated the same way as a human biting you - assault, and the owner should get shafted for it.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
norris9 wrote:It is NOT ok that dog owners allow their defensive, territorial pets to roam free to bite people. These dogs are like weapons.
How can it be ok for these owners to let this happen...it is NOT ok, it is messed up!!!
If I owned a territorial dog then I'd keep it out of the way. I'd never open the door and let it run out, I'd put it in another room first. I'd never leave it loose in a front garden.
I was bitten by a small dog, have been chased down the street by a dog which the owner let run out of her house.....it's only a matter of time i get properly bitten.
A dog biting you should be treated the same way as a human biting you - assault, and the owner should get shafted for it.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Hear, hear!norris9 wrote:It is NOT ok that dog owners allow their defensive, territorial pets to roam free to bite people. These dogs are like weapons.
How can it be ok for these owners to let this happen...it is NOT ok, it is messed up!!!
If I owned a territorial dog then I'd keep it out of the way. I'd never open the door and let it run out, I'd put it in another room first. I'd never leave it loose in a front garden.
I was bitten by a small dog, have been chased down the street by a dog which the owner let run out of her house.....it's only a matter of time i get properly bitten.
A dog biting you should be treated the same way as a human biting you - assault, and the owner should get shafted for it.
This is absolutely, one hundred percent spot on.
Too many people seem to think this is some sort of joke. It's not. Every time a dog is loose or able to bite one of us, it is potentially life changing.
I personally don't think either our employer or the Union are taking it seriously enough. None of us go to work to get bit or mauled.....the very possibility should be lessened to the point of eradication and only dealing with actual incidents properly and firmly is going to start achieving that.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
jonthepon
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 18 Mar 2014, 21:06
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Cross my palm with silver and I'll be okay!
-
hatter68
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Looking for advise on compensation on a dogbite. Not sure to claim?
Got bitten other day didn’t half sting owner apologetic been told not to deliver anything until they respond to letter manager has sent