ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
-
Ddarko85
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 10 Oct 2018, 15:06
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I’m curious as to what careers people tend to go towards when leaving RM?
The direction of the company seems to be going in the way of ‘doing it on the cheap’ and I’m thinking about the future.
I’ve only been with RM for 8 months and I’ve never known a company like it.
The direction of the company seems to be going in the way of ‘doing it on the cheap’ and I’m thinking about the future.
I’ve only been with RM for 8 months and I’ve never known a company like it.
-
Smith1212
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I agree it's not run to great but there's years and years in the job left it takes 5 years to do a revision lol
-
Leon32
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 09 Oct 2014, 05:38
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I recently left and became a bus driver as well as starting to finish my accountancy tests. I just could be assed when getting home from a post walk to do anything
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
A few in our office left to be train drivers and done very well .Hard to pass the tests though.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
A lot is going to depend on age, after being made redundant & over 50 I found it almost impossible to find any work even collecting jumble off the street, Royal Mail was the only one that gave me a chance.
-
the cheshire elf
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:05
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I became a security officer at m/c Airport don't regret leaving after 35years knew what was coming just couldn't take the strain on my body any more
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I retired from RM, and only applied for one job after leaving RM which was as a Xmas temp stockroom assistant at John Lewis, which I did get despite a lot of competition from younger people .
I was told I would be kept on in a full time permanent position if I wanted it, but I had enough of working and just wanted to enjoy my retirement so didn't accept.
I was told that former RM staff have a good reputation for work ethic and employers like to take them on.
I was told I would be kept on in a full time permanent position if I wanted it, but I had enough of working and just wanted to enjoy my retirement so didn't accept.
I was told that former RM staff have a good reputation for work ethic and employers like to take them on.
-
officernopants
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 19 Mar 2018, 06:48
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I left last year and now work at an airport in ground operations, the best decision ever! The way royal mail changed in the last 4 years and is only gonna get worst also everyone on ground ops work together and management are so much better it's so refreshing! There's no easy\hard duties and all the backstabbing either
-
owclogo
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 16:35
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
Ddarko85 wrote:I’m curious as to what careers people tend to go towards when leaving RM?
The direction of the company seems to be going in the way of ‘doing it on the cheap’ and I’m thinking about the future.
I’ve only been with RM for 8 months and I’ve never known a company like it.
I took VR about 2 years ago after 29 years and work in a school with the premises team..every saturday/sunday off , take your holidays when you want and similar money to Royal Mail . No regrets.
-
Raggedy Man
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Sep 2017, 16:01
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I left to become a site services officer at a primary school (care taker in old fashioned job titles).
All weekends off. Every school holiday off. More importantly a management and staff team that appreciate what you do, say thank you and also don't keep upping your work load till your at breaking point each time you achieve. I feel incredibly lucky to work where I do now and wouldn't change it for the world.
All weekends off. Every school holiday off. More importantly a management and staff team that appreciate what you do, say thank you and also don't keep upping your work load till your at breaking point each time you achieve. I feel incredibly lucky to work where I do now and wouldn't change it for the world.
-
sf25
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 13:57
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
Im delighted to find out I just got a job with the railway. Getting sick of Royal Mail and the wierd way the company is ran.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I would imagine that it's difficult to replicate what we have here,sure there are better less physically taxing jobs out there,im sure , but for me personally I have no desire to leave ,the hours suit my domestic needs ,school run etc , whether that will continue to be the case remains to be seen.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
I work 30hrs over 5 days but I usually do around 34 with OT. Im seriously thinking of asking for a reduction in contract to 20-22 hrs (in 5yrs when im 51) which works over 3 days. I wonder what the difference would be in wage considering there would be a big reduction in tax? I feel knackered now
. Surely this would still pull im around 250 a week? I have thought about a change of jobs but I think this is an option.
-
barcajr
- Posts: 168
- Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
Been in the job twenty seven years, yes, it his physically demanding, and like all things in life, it has its bad days, but still enjoy the job and quite well paid for what you do, certainly not looking for another job, although when in four years time when I get my NRA60, might ask for a reduction in hours
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
What work have people gone into when leaving RM?
yeah, the way it is now most of us our working our full hours, but whats going to happen is less and less indoor element and 6 hr deliveries being the norm, going to take its toll on most posties bodies, sickness will go through the roof im not sure RM are thinking through this aspect of future changes.officernopants wrote:I left last year and now work at an airport in ground operations, the best decision ever! The way royal mail changed in the last 4 years and is only gonna get worst