ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

stopping early finishes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by daveyeff »

they are trying this at our office. union had us downstairs this morning, they say management have said anyone finishing before their time either has to stay back until duty finish time, or can go home when they finish, but they must pay the time back. its down to senior management looking at the PDA actuals. they say in our office alone last week there was loads of hours could have been saved. ie Saturday there was 53 hours could have been saved due to the amount of people back early, Friday there was 47 hours, Thursday had 41 hours. their list goes on. they stopped the earlies with immediate effect. PDAs don't look at the fact that people come in early, don't take their breaks, run around like blue arsed flies. also its summer, and most of us have no D2Ds this week. Dom reckons its going national so it looks like they want confrontation. to be honest I couldn't give a toss but I suppose it will stop the runners. there was a dozen or so hanging around today when we got back just before our time. the good will is bound to stop.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by deltaforce »

It’s been the case for a few years now. It won’t work in practice as it kills any incentive and blind eyes will be turned as soon as when it suits.
Last edited by deltaforce on 31 May 2019, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's not often I get back more than 10 mins early. If they want to be funny about it I will quite happily just wait in the DO until time. I will often throw off D2D's for the next day if I make allot of time. Very Rare. But this week I did knowing we would be stretched the following day due to the Bank Holiday and that we only made the time the day before due to it.

Again, This just goes to show how far removed our seniors are to the realities of the job. Some days we make time. Some days we don't and go over a bit. As for the idea of banking hours/flexi. Being early doesn't make a bit of difference to someone but going over could be the difference of not being able to meet a commitment. You can never be to early but you CAN be too late.

This will just cause even more ill will. Sad.
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by yubin282 »

We had this during a WTL earlier this week, i suggested we should go down to 35 hours this year instead of 2021 if were so efficient already.

Obviously its the same 5-6 people who start early, never take a break and rarely work past 12.30.

Theres the blokes working OT from 4AM doing half the IPS work essentially forcing us to finish 'early' but removing this OT isn't an option apparently.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by scoobydo79 »

OP it is not good will it is people’s own stupidity in Your office. Union have told them till their blue in the face to do the job properly.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by redneck »

Do the job properly. Stop being selfish. The hours are what they are. Work them. Claim any overrunning or discuss with managers that you do not wish to overrun. Make sure you are paid it.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by citypostie »

All good until theres 7 duties to cover then it will be back to business as usual otherwise no one wants the overtime. Once your in the mindset of working slowly upto your time it's hard to get out of it as royal mail will find out if they enforce this nationally for a few months. If they are going to fill all the vacancies there won't be a problem unless 5 people ring in sick in one day, which happens alot
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by postslippete »

They are using the PDAs as an excuse to bring on the summer lapsing methinks. Managers aren't stupid, they are quite aware that staff turn up early and forfeit breaks and turn a blind eye to it. It might not be important until someone has an accident and theres no manager or union safety rep in the workplace; thats when they might have to lock the gates and stop staff starting hours before their time.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by worktotime »

and posties will still start early , run round , and not take breaks :crazy: , will people ever learn this company will keep taking and taking until your f****d , support the CWU and do the job right and they cant take f**k all then .
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by aiden01 »

worktotime wrote:and posties will still start early , run round , and not take breaks :crazy: , will people ever learn this company will keep taking and taking until your f****d , support the CWU and do the job right and they cant take f**k all then .
Can you honestly see it.. i work in a mc and some clowns come in early to set their machines up dont know why as they are usually sent to sort packets for first few hours..
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

stopping early finishes

Post by Yamr1 »

Well said worktotime
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

stopping early finishes

Post by norris9 »

Yeah, last week was a nice pleasant week with a fair workload, finishing on time or finishing early.....

.....but this week was hell.

Worked more hours than I am contracted to, gifting RM 2.5 hours of my time for free.

I will be recording the hours I work from now on to see how it averages out over a month or 2, to see if I am getting screwed over or not.

I am not sure why some managers want to ignore you/argue with you when you genuinely believe there is too much post to deliver in your time.....they argue so they don't have to pay someone a few quid on overtime to take a loop out.....what's the point, it wastes time arguing, it annoys the Posties....you managers who make it difficult just make the job more stressful and less enjoyable and potentially annoy posties enough that they will leave, then the few quid you are trying to save RM is irrelevant as now you have to train a new recruit, get them uniform, pay for their driver assessment etc etc....
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by number one »

norris9 wrote:Yeah, last week was a nice pleasant week with a fair workload, finishing on time or finishing early.....

.....but this week was hell.

Worked more hours than I am contracted to, gifting RM 2.5 hours of my time for free.

I will be recording the hours I work from now on to see how it averages out over a month or 2, to see if I am getting screwed over or not.

I am not sure why some managers want to ignore you/argue with you when you genuinely believe there is too much post to deliver in your time.....they argue so they don't have to pay someone a few quid on overtime to take a loop out.....what's the point, it wastes time arguing, it annoys the Posties....you managers who make it difficult just make the job more stressful and less enjoyable and potentially annoy posties enough that they will leave, then the few quid you are trying to save RM is irrelevant as now you have to train a new recruit, get them uniform, pay for their driver assessment etc etc....
Why oh why are you working for free?????
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

stopping early finishes

Post by norris9 »

number one wrote:
norris9 wrote:Yeah, last week was a nice pleasant week with a fair workload, finishing on time or finishing early.....

.....but this week was hell.

Worked more hours than I am contracted to, gifting RM 2.5 hours of my time for free.

I will be recording the hours I work from now on to see how it averages out over a month or 2, to see if I am getting screwed over or not.

I am not sure why some managers want to ignore you/argue with you when you genuinely believe there is too much post to deliver in your time.....they argue so they don't have to pay someone a few quid on overtime to take a loop out.....what's the point, it wastes time arguing, it annoys the Posties....you managers who make it difficult just make the job more stressful and less enjoyable and potentially annoy posties enough that they will leave, then the few quid you are trying to save RM is irrelevant as now you have to train a new recruit, get them uniform, pay for their driver assessment etc etc....
Why oh why are you working for free?????
Why am I also sometimes going home early and getting paid for doing nothing?

I get it, that's how people want it....they want job and finish early and get paid for more hours than they work.

As long as I average my hours then that's ok with me, this job requires flexibility.....but if I work an average of more hours than I should....then I will say something.
bardeh
Posts: 42
Joined: 01 Feb 2019, 23:04
Gender: Male

stopping early finishes

Post by bardeh »

norris9 wrote:
number one wrote:
norris9 wrote:Yeah, last week was a nice pleasant week with a fair workload, finishing on time or finishing early.....

.....but this week was hell.

Worked more hours than I am contracted to, gifting RM 2.5 hours of my time for free.

I will be recording the hours I work from now on to see how it averages out over a month or 2, to see if I am getting screwed over or not.

I am not sure why some managers want to ignore you/argue with you when you genuinely believe there is too much post to deliver in your time.....they argue so they don't have to pay someone a few quid on overtime to take a loop out.....what's the point, it wastes time arguing, it annoys the Posties....you managers who make it difficult just make the job more stressful and less enjoyable and potentially annoy posties enough that they will leave, then the few quid you are trying to save RM is irrelevant as now you have to train a new recruit, get them uniform, pay for their driver assessment etc etc....
Why oh why are you working for free?????
Why am I also sometimes going home early and getting paid for doing nothing?

I get it, that's how people want it....they want job and finish early and get paid for more hours than they work.

As long as I average my hours then that's ok with me, this job requires flexibility.....but if I work an average of more hours than I should....then I will say something.
I finish early some days, but you can bet that I'm booking every single minute of overtime on the days when I go over. Royal Mail is a multibillion pound corporation, don't give them your time for free.