ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

irritable bowel syndrome

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
compostcorner
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by compostcorner »

those of you walk postman who have irritable bowel syndrome will know about the pain and anxiety it can cause while out on delivery, my round is nearly 5 hours long with no toilets, even if i did have a toilet theres no way i could make it there on time, in my case i get about a 10 second warning, its a quick pain in the stomach a few butterflies and then all hell breaks loose, it doesnt happen on a regular basis and theres no planning for it, you just have to hope theres somewhere you can dive in to, as is what happened to me today, i had to go in somebodys basement which is near their side door, of course you clean the mess up as best as you can, but the house i had my little accident in has security cameras, so now i am panicking as to what will happen if they make a complaint, should i tell my boss what happened or just keep quiet until the complaint comes in, if it comes in, i did go back to the scene of the crime after my round to clean it up a bit more, so if i"m found out do you think i will recieve any disciplinary action,
thanks.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by clashcityrocker »

Personally I would tell my boss - honesty is the best policy and all that.
Are you covered by the Equality Act? Shouldn't something be put in place for you (different duty for example?)
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by Pidleypoo »

I really feel sorry for you , I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and as an unlucky side affect , I now have ibs too and some days I worry a fair bit.

If it’s been diagnosed by a doc , just be honest , it’s not your fault and it’s not like you wanted it to happen.

I’d be asking for an oh assist referral or something along those lines because it will happen again and you need to be able to got to a toilet as soon as.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by The Postman »

compostcorner wrote:those of you walk postman who have irritable bowel syndrome will know about the pain and anxiety it can cause while out on delivery, my round is nearly 5 hours long with no toilets, even if i did have a toilet theres no way i could make it there on time, in my case i get about a 10 second warning, its a quick pain in the stomach a few butterflies and then all hell breaks loose, it doesnt happen on a regular basis and theres no planning for it, you just have to hope theres somewhere you can dive in to, as is what happened to me today, i had to go in somebodys basement which is near their side door, of course you clean the mess up as best as you can, but the house i had my little accident in has security cameras, so now i am panicking as to what will happen if they make a complaint, should i tell my boss what happened or just keep quiet until the complaint comes in, if it comes in, i did go back to the scene of the crime after my round to clean it up a bit more, so if i"m found out do you think i will recieve any disciplinary action,
thanks.
Sorry for laughing, as a fellow ibs sufferer I found this hilarious. It’s also one of my biggest fears and it nearly happened to me once on delivery, I was lucky to be near a garage at the time and ran like the wind to their toilet. My van partner wasn’t too happy my loop took an extra 20 mins mind you.

Do you know what causes your ibs to flare up? For example, I love spicy food and have to avoid anything spicy if I’m working the next day. If I’ve got an incling that I might not be ok on a certain day I make sure to use the toilet a few times before I leave for work and before I leave the office, I drink as little as possible and don’t have breakfast, I make up for it when I get home. Also I keep anti-diahhorea tablets in my bag at all times. I just try to manage it as best as I can.

Good Luck.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by scoobydo79 »

Fess up. Guy I know had same sort of thing. Unfortunately a customers children were witness to it.Nearly lost His job and got a police caution at the station.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by Acca Dacca »

Sorry to laugh but your username.... :chuckle
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
south London postie
Posts: 127
Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by south London postie »

I don't suffer from IBS but I still think about taking a standard plastic shopping bag on the walk; lay in out, crouch down, do the deed, a few baby wipes and a squeeze of hand sanitiser ...
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by lisag42 »

I really feel for you, I’m a fellow sufferer so I know how horrible it is. I’ve only just started the job and it’s my biggest fear. As stress makes it worse for me I’m starting to think I should have stayed in my old job. Having been bullied by a previous employer I got to the point I stopped eating for fear of the outcome. Hope you manage to get something sorted.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by Tinoblade »

I also suffer with this pretty bad. Although like an idiot I haven’t been to the doctors to have it diagnosed. However a friend of mine has and he takes omerprazole. He gave me some, have them at the beginning of the day and I can make it through.
Best course is trying to find what causes the issue. It is usually a particular food.
But I feel your pain. I’ve had to go in some questionable places before fortunately never being seen. But if it is that bad, as stated above carry some form of bag, toilet roll and hand sanitiser around in your bag.
compostcorner
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by compostcorner »

thanks for all your replys, i have been to the doctors and diagnosed with it, so the main cause of mine is to do with the diaphram in your stomach which holds the food in while it is digested, then when the food has done it bit the diaphram opens and the waste is sent to the departure lounge, in my case there is a huge hole in my diaphram so the food can just do what it likes, for instance i can eat a sausage and it comes out the other end about a minute later, and on the other end of the scale which has just happened i get a build up of food in my stomach and then it all gets released in one massive explosion with no warning, i am on omoprozole which i take every morning, my boss is aware of the problem as i have had says off with it before, its not something that happens on a regular basis, the last time was over a year ago, the problem this time is that there are security cameras on the house.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

irritable bowel syndrome

Post by leolion855 »

medical problem so dont worry, if you were prone to nose bleeds and bled everywhere there wouldn't be an issue, and that's kinda the same thing just more socially acceptable. Tell your boss and take a doctors note confirming your condition if he/she gets arsey. Above all dont worry you will make your IBS worse.