ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

d2d day off cover responsibility

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2Shedz
Posts: 50
Joined: 28 Dec 2017, 08:45
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by 2Shedz »

Hi All
I was under the impression the day off cover was required to do 20% of your Door2 Doors
Is this correct?
if not what are they required to do?
Many thanks for any info
Smiffy
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by Postie45 »

it varys by office, but generally yes they should be doing appox 20%
Some offices have row(s) of the frame assigned to each day which the postie should be taking out the d2d for.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by The Postman »

2Shedz wrote:Hi All
I was under the impression the day off cover was required to do 20% of your Door2 Doors
Is this correct?
if not what are they required to do?
Many thanks for any info
Smiffy
1/6th or 16.6% however this is only to allow fair opportunity for them to be delivered, there’s no agreement to say it’s done this way as far as I’m aware. If they’re part time they should have been prepped into the frame for them. Personally, if they’re not in the frame, I inform the manager and am told to leave them and he’ll get them prepped for the next day.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by Celgar »

Every DO runs it a little differently. In ours if they haven't already been prepped into the frame then the postie covering the day off would be expected to prep one vertical column of the frame and deliver those leaflets where there is mail for a delivery point.
On my walk I usually get all the D2D prepped for being delivered on Monday or the first working day of the week . Therefore the cover posties only have to prep any D2D on my walk when I have a Monday as a day off or if I am on AL.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by Seymour Buts »

This annoys me. So many times I've gone to a frame Wednesday to find the cover from the day before had just put that day's in, then took where they are going so they've ended up actually delivering about a quarter of what they should have. I put a 6th of the week in and take those all on that day. If I'm on a duty all week ill try and put them all in on the Monday, if not I take where I'm going.
1617mel
Posts: 172
Joined: 11 Oct 2017, 15:13
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by 1617mel »

what happens on the Tuesday after the Monday holiday,our office DOM tells all preppers to prep two days of DtD , as we normally don't deliver DtD on a Saturday , so as it happens I am day off Tuesday this week .and I think as per previous experience this will not happen thus I will inform my DOM that I will complete this weeks DtD next Monday.
2Shedz
Posts: 50
Joined: 28 Dec 2017, 08:45
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by 2Shedz »

Thanks all
Our day off cover is only taking where he goes on the 20% and says that's right
Funnily enough out of 75 calls he only went to six calls
Bit of a joke
Thanks all.Ill now be taking it up with the oc.He is assigned the bottom row.
Smiffy
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by redneck »

Managers just want them to disappear, they don't care how they are done. Part timers often find the majority of D2D's are left on the floor all week by the frame, full timers don't want to prep someone else's as they see it. Random and chaotic in our DO.
2Shedz
Posts: 50
Joined: 28 Dec 2017, 08:45
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by 2Shedz »

Ours to
2 full timers coming in later yet claiming overtime they haven't done
people leaving re directions till the next morning
people falsifying the signing on sheet
manager moaning about overtime yet letting to people take their van home.350 miles a week
equals 10 gallons equals 5 hrs overtime
Bloody joke
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by Postie45 »

2Shedz wrote:Thanks all
Our day off cover is only taking where he goes on the 20% and says that's right
Funnily enough out of 75 calls he only went to six calls
Bit of a joke
Thanks all.Ill now be taking it up with the oc.He is assigned the bottom row.
Smiffy
if hes only on it one day a week he has no right to be leaving them in the frame, nor should any be left in the frame for him for the previous days. If hes leaving d2d in the frame id complain to my line manager to have a word.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by eastie »

Celgar wrote: On my walk I usually get all the D2D prepped for being delivered on Monday or the first working day of the week . Therefore the cover posties only have to prep any D2D on my walk when I have a Monday as a day off or if I am on AL.
How do you get them all prepped on a Monday??
How is their time to do that??
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by eastie »

2Shedz wrote:Thanks all
Our day off cover is only taking where he goes on the 20% and says that's right
Funnily enough out of 75 calls he only went to six calls
Bit of a joke
Thanks all.Ill now be taking it up with the oc.He is assigned the bottom row.
Smiffy
Dont bother. Just pull all the undelivered D2Ds out of the frame not taken the day before and plonk them on the DOMs desk with a note
Undelivered from Yesterday
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by Celgar »

eastie wrote:
Celgar wrote: On my walk I usually get all the D2D prepped for being delivered on Monday or the first working day of the week . Therefore the cover posties only have to prep any D2D on my walk when I have a Monday as a day off or if I am on AL.
How do you get them all prepped on a Monday??
How is their time to do that??
To be honest depending how many sets of D2Ds we get there isn't necessarily enough paid time to prep them. Sometimes I will have some time left over on the preceding Saturday to get them done. Sometimes I will sort some into sets on the preceding Thursday or Friday but they haven't always arrived by then. On odd occasions the DOM will prep some for me as they know my walk is too long but there is no way to fix it.
Before RM invented the absorption we time to do these tasks and other 'housekeeping' type stuff but those days are gone now.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by yellowbelly »

postietom wrote:This annoys me. So many times I've gone to a frame Wednesday to find the cover from the day before had just put that day's in, then took where they are going so they've ended up actually delivering about a quarter of what they should have. I put a 6th of the week in and take those all on that day. If I'm on a duty all week ill try and put them all in on the Monday, if not I take where I'm going.
If that's your office policy I'll agree with you, but if it's not, why would you deliver to every man and his dog on a Tuesday when the 'busier' days
for the rest of the week are going to pick the remainder up for delivery - more efficient surely? I cover some rurals and it would be bonkers
to deliver D2D just because it's in the frame - also the case with some long driveways on town deliveries too!!
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

d2d day off cover responsibility

Post by yellowbelly »

Celgar wrote:
eastie wrote:
Celgar wrote: On my walk I usually get all the D2D prepped for being delivered on Monday or the first working day of the week . Therefore the cover posties only have to prep any D2D on my walk when I have a Monday as a day off or if I am on AL.
How do you get them all prepped on a Monday??
How is their time to do that??
To be honest depending how many sets of D2Ds we get there isn't necessarily enough paid time to prep them. Sometimes I will have some time left over on the preceding Saturday to get them done. Sometimes I will sort some into sets on the preceding Thursday or Friday but they haven't always arrived by then. On odd occasions the DOM will prep some for me as they know my walk is too long but there is no way to fix it.
Before RM invented the absorption we time to do these tasks and other 'housekeeping' type stuff but those days are gone now.
And yet many times in your posts you state you/your office don't get paid overtime/have to work for free, yet the DOM is prepping your D2D's and you have
spare time on a Thu/Fri (??!!) to prep D2D sets and time spare on a Saturday? There is a way to fix it and it's commonly called 'cutting off'.