ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Re-employment after spending time abroad

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bielsabub
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 May 2019, 16:02
Gender: Male

Re-employment after spending time abroad

Post by Bielsabub »

Hi All. I recently started work as a postman but need to go abroad for at least one 3 months period per year due to my personal circumstances. If I leave the company and go abroad would I be able to get re-employed as a postman by the Royal Mail when I returned to the UK? Or would I have to apply via Angard agency instead? Career breaks are out the question as I wouldn't achieve 2 years continuous service. Anyone in a similar position or with similar experience? Thanks
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re-employment after spending time abroad

Post by Acca Dacca »

By 'per year' do you mean EVERY year i.e more than just once? If so you are probably going to have to find a different job imo
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Bielsabub
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 May 2019, 16:02
Gender: Male

Re-employment after spending time abroad

Post by Bielsabub »

Acca Dacca wrote:By 'per year' do you mean EVERY year i.e more than just once? If so you are probably going to have to find a different job imo
Yeah every year. I usually just work for agencies when I'm in the UK. I'm just wondering if the company will re-employ someone who has a proven track record with them already. I guess there's no harm in seeing how the land lies next time I'm back in the country. If it's a no then no problem. Thanks for your reply.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re-employment after spending time abroad

Post by koolishy67 »

Better to work with agency they are more flexible I don't think royal mail wait for .
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re-employment after spending time abroad

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Angard will probably re-hire you, Royal Mail as large as it is couldn't administratively deal with a staff member that is absent for 1/4 of the year.

However, you may be able to apply for Family Friendly working, some parents have term time working where they work extra hours unpaid to bank hours for use later in the year. Might be worth researching that.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Bielsabub
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 May 2019, 16:02
Gender: Male

Re-employment after spending time abroad

Post by Bielsabub »

koolishy67 wrote:Better to work with agency they are more flexible I don't think royal mail wait for .
Yeah probably the most practical option, cheers.
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Angard will probably re-hire you, Royal Mail as large as it is couldn't administratively deal with a staff member that is absent for 1/4 of the year.

However, you may be able to apply for Family Friendly working, some parents have term time working where they work extra hours unpaid to bank hours for use later in the year. Might be worth researching that.
That's good to know, thanks for the input. I'll look into the Family Friendly option also.