ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Seniority tie break?
-
J_FD
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 28 Nov 2018, 10:27
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
So, long story short. Me and a colleague, who joined RM on the same day and interviewed on the same day have both gone for a walk that I’ve been covering for the last 3 months. Today I’ve been told that she’s got the walk, but I can’t get a clear answer as to why. Apparently it’s going on who got their offer email first. Is that the right way to do this? Does me actually doing the walk not count for anything?
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Any advice greatly appreciated!
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
It goes to date of birth. Oldest gets itJ_FD wrote:So, long story short. Me and a colleague, who joined RM on the same day and interviewed on the same day have both gone for a walk that I’ve been covering for the last 3 months. Today I’ve been told that she’s got the walk, but I can’t get a clear answer as to why. Apparently it’s going on who got their offer email first. Is that the right way to do this? Does me actually doing the walk not count for anything?
Any advice greatly appreciated!
-
neilgg
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 12:38
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
At our office they have used first letter of surname. I've also heard of highest score in pre interview test and lowest staff number being used elsewhere. I'm not sure if there is one agreed way or it's down to the local office to decide. I'd be interested to know. If done on age isn't it discriminating against the younger person?
-
Nickvilla20
- Posts: 789
- Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
Can’t be done by age that’s now illegal. Should have been done with a toss of a coin.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
Interesting one.I have seen it done on marks obtained in entrance test,highest hours in working week in contract,alphabetical on surname and I still don’t know the official answer.Keep us informed
-
The Postman
- Posts: 267
- Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
Personally, I’d say who was offered the job first would be much fairer than date of birth, that would be ageist. How long you’ve covered the Duty has no bearing on it.
-
ebbzie
- Posts: 660
- Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
We had same issue , it was sorted by coin toss its the fairest way
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Seniority tie break?
Surely you can only gain seniority with age?Nickvilla20 wrote:Can’t be done by age that’s now illegal
-
JKSmudge
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
Exactly ! - Its ....... Senioritymattycash wrote:Surely you can only gain seniority with age?Nickvilla20 wrote:Can’t be done by age that’s now illegal
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
Start date not age, then lowest pay number if a tie. It's a lot easier in the case of a tie to use pay numbers as they are readily available on the company system and also is clear from the start. The idea of tossing a coin or drawing straws for somebody's future, in some cases a full time contract, is completely laughable and not treating it with the importance it deserves.
-
smileski
- Posts: 185
- Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 17:38
Seniority tie break?
Did quite a bit of digging on this some years ago when I was a rep.
The most definitive answer I arrived at was that it goes on..... How it has always been..
Basically, there should be a seniority list displayed in the office, if your colleague has always been one place above you and you are only seeing an issue now you have both gone for a duty, you may have to swallow it i'm afraid.
The most definitive answer I arrived at was that it goes on..... How it has always been..
Basically, there should be a seniority list displayed in the office, if your colleague has always been one place above you and you are only seeing an issue now you have both gone for a duty, you may have to swallow it i'm afraid.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
Lock 'em both in an octagonal cage...last postie standing gets the walk 
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Seniority tie break?
coin Toss ????? you cant be seriousebbzie wrote:We had same issue , it was sorted by coin toss its the fairest way
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Seniority tie break?
doesn't it then go to sick absence and attendance etc??J_FD wrote:So, long story short. Me and a colleague, who joined RM on the same day and interviewed on the same day have both gone for a walk that I’ve been covering for the last 3 months. Today I’ve been told that she’s got the walk, but I can’t get a clear answer as to why. Apparently it’s going on who got their offer email first. Is that the right way to do this? Does me actually doing the walk not count for anything?
Any advice greatly appreciated!
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
ebbzie
- Posts: 660
- Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Seniority tie break?
Why not ? how else if you both start the same day ?maisymoo04 wrote:coin Toss ????? you cant be seriousebbzie wrote:We had same issue , it was sorted by coin toss its the fairest way![]()
![]()