ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seniority tie break?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
J_FD
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 Nov 2018, 10:27
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by J_FD »

So, long story short. Me and a colleague, who joined RM on the same day and interviewed on the same day have both gone for a walk that I’ve been covering for the last 3 months. Today I’ve been told that she’s got the walk, but I can’t get a clear answer as to why. Apparently it’s going on who got their offer email first. Is that the right way to do this? Does me actually doing the walk not count for anything?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by number one »

J_FD wrote:So, long story short. Me and a colleague, who joined RM on the same day and interviewed on the same day have both gone for a walk that I’ve been covering for the last 3 months. Today I’ve been told that she’s got the walk, but I can’t get a clear answer as to why. Apparently it’s going on who got their offer email first. Is that the right way to do this? Does me actually doing the walk not count for anything?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
It goes to date of birth. Oldest gets it
neilgg
Posts: 33
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 12:38
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by neilgg »

At our office they have used first letter of surname. I've also heard of highest score in pre interview test and lowest staff number being used elsewhere. I'm not sure if there is one agreed way or it's down to the local office to decide. I'd be interested to know. If done on age isn't it discriminating against the younger person?
Nickvilla20
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by Nickvilla20 »

Can’t be done by age that’s now illegal. Should have been done with a toss of a coin.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by scoobydo79 »

Interesting one.I have seen it done on marks obtained in entrance test,highest hours in working week in contract,alphabetical on surname and I still don’t know the official answer.Keep us informed
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by The Postman »

Personally, I’d say who was offered the job first would be much fairer than date of birth, that would be ageist. How long you’ve covered the Duty has no bearing on it.
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by ebbzie »

We had same issue , it was sorted by coin toss its the fairest way
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Seniority tie break?

Post by twoloops »

Nickvilla20 wrote:Can’t be done by age that’s now illegal
Surely you can only gain seniority with age?
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by JKSmudge »

mattycash wrote:
Nickvilla20 wrote:Can’t be done by age that’s now illegal
Surely you can only gain seniority with age?
Exactly ! - Its ....... Seniority :arrrghhh
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by redneck »

Start date not age, then lowest pay number if a tie. It's a lot easier in the case of a tie to use pay numbers as they are readily available on the company system and also is clear from the start. The idea of tossing a coin or drawing straws for somebody's future, in some cases a full time contract, is completely laughable and not treating it with the importance it deserves.
smileski
Posts: 185
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 17:38

Seniority tie break?

Post by smileski »

Did quite a bit of digging on this some years ago when I was a rep.
The most definitive answer I arrived at was that it goes on..... How it has always been..
Basically, there should be a seniority list displayed in the office, if your colleague has always been one place above you and you are only seeing an issue now you have both gone for a duty, you may have to swallow it i'm afraid.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by crimson king »

Lock 'em both in an octagonal cage...last postie standing gets the walk :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Seniority tie break?

Post by maisymoo04 »

ebbzie wrote:We had same issue , it was sorted by coin toss its the fairest way
coin Toss ????? you cant be serious :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Seniority tie break?

Post by maisymoo04 »

J_FD wrote:So, long story short. Me and a colleague, who joined RM on the same day and interviewed on the same day have both gone for a walk that I’ve been covering for the last 3 months. Today I’ve been told that she’s got the walk, but I can’t get a clear answer as to why. Apparently it’s going on who got their offer email first. Is that the right way to do this? Does me actually doing the walk not count for anything?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
doesn't it then go to sick absence and attendance etc?? :hmmmm :hmmmm
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Seniority tie break?

Post by ebbzie »

maisymoo04 wrote:
ebbzie wrote:We had same issue , it was sorted by coin toss its the fairest way
coin Toss ????? you cant be serious :shock: :shock: :shock:
Why not ? how else if you both start the same day ?