ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDAs

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Sputters2017
Posts: 79
Joined: 08 Aug 2017, 16:12
Gender: Male

PDAs

Post by Sputters2017 »

Hi is it royal mail policy to carry your pda on you at all times while on delivery . If I dont need it I leave it in my van but now been told I should take it to every delivery point I go to .
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

PDAs

Post by scoobydo79 »

Yes to be carried on You all the time on delivery
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

PDAs

Post by hans solo »

big brother :nervous
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDAs

Post by Celgar »

I don't think I have ever read anywhere or been officially told that the PDA has to be on our person at all times when on delivery. Obviously if you were on a HCT or P&L duty you would have to have the PDA with you but it could be in the pouch or trolley rather than in a PDA holster or your trouser pocket. If you are working from a van it could be left in there in the carriage and you would pick it up to zap barcodes.
The latest we have been told though is that DOMs will be responsible in future for collation of data to design walk routes. The PDA data will be directly used for this purpose so if you take the PDA to every doorstep this will record all your movements & the full length and time required will be known. This is a good thing. So maybe your DOM was referring to this when they said to have the PDA on you at all times.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

PDAs

Post by scoobydo79 »

There will always be the 2D barcode hidden in the loop somewhere.You May think You don’t need the PDA close to hand but You do.Keep it on You!!!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

PDAs

Post by clashcityrocker »

What if they need to ring you?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDAs

Post by Celgar »

clashcityrocker wrote:What if they need to ring you?
I think most people own a mobile phone nowadays although I am one of the few who doesn't have one. Also I deliver to a fairly rural area with bad mobile coverage and poor broadband quality on landlines as well but BT are currently upgrading the landlines there.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

PDAs

Post by GT85 »

PDA actuals show exactly where your PDA has been, when it has been stationary and for how long. So for example say you have a 20 minute loop and decide that you don't need your gun for any of it so you leave it in the van then when the manager looks at your walk report the next day that 20 minutes of active delivery will show up as you being sat in one place doing nothing for 20 min. This is obviously not a good thing for you, don't forget big brother is watching your every move.
We're all here because we're not all there