ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by Celgar »

Since reading about RM accessing information from the emergency services to develop walk design software our DOM has told us they are looking to use the PDA data instead. Apparently the responsibility for this will be moved to individual office DOMs via the PDA data.
Therefore we all need to think about keeping the PDA with us wherever possible and maximise the amount of time the device is on the move. The more distance the device travels the longer your walk will be seen to be. If we all remember this then we can go a fair way to defending ourselves and our jobs. This is potentially a piece of good news floating in an ocean of bad & depressing news.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by k979aaa »

Celgar wrote:Since reading about RM accessing information from the emergency services to develop walk design software our DOM has told us they are looking to use the PDA data instead. Apparently the responsibility for this will be moved to individual office DOMs via the PDA data.
Therefore we all need to think about keeping the PDA with us wherever possible and maximise the amount of time the device is on the move. The more distance the device travels the longer your walk will be seen to be. If we all remember this then we can go a fair way to defending ourselves and our jobs. This is potentially a piece of good news floating in an ocean of bad & depressing news.
Just don't go floating in the Irish sea or Bristol Channel or the English channel or north sea with it turned on or you would have time to spare! :chuckle
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by worktotime »

well that will be a first then a dim using pda data a nationally agreed work tool :left: this has been live for months and our dim hasn't used it so what will change , has any dim in any office used it ?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by Postie45 »

maybe they havent used it yet, but theres no reason that all of the data isnt stored and cant be used going forward. If postie A has been completing his duty on average in 3.5 hours every Wednesday over a few years on PDA actuals, thats strong evidence for how long that delivery typically takes on a Wednesday. To me thats better data than any use of computers to draw out deliveries which RM were doing before. But its going to create a situation where some people are making rods for their own backs.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by themailman »

I always thought the data that they would use would be how long you can do the duty in, rather than how long (in miles etc) that you are walking about for.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by k979aaa »

themailman wrote:I always thought the data that they would use would be how long you can do the duty in, rather than how long (in miles etc) that you are walking about for.
They will use drops points as a measure of speed and average it out but they will use the high side of average speed but we all know people are of different speeds because of age disability injury or just because they are to diligent or plain slow. But even the best will slow as they age instead of using data why cannot managers get off their fat arses and keep up with even the slowest postie the only time I see one move is when their coffee cup is empty!
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by worktotime »

Postie45 wrote:maybe they havent used it yet, but theres no reason that all of the data isnt stored and cant be used going forward. If postie A has been completing his duty on average in 3.5 hours every Wednesday over a few years on PDA actuals, thats strong evidence for how long that delivery typically takes on a Wednesday. To me thats better data than any use of computers to draw out deliveries which RM were doing before. But its going to create a situation where some people are making rods for their own backs.
I agree but the problem is when you've got :crazy: posties coming in early , not taking breaks , not using the lwts etc and finishing early or even doing ghost overtime and still getting done early it gives false data for them deliverys , so are others going to suffer .
smileski
Posts: 185
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 17:38

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by smileski »

The problem with all this PDA data is that their are people making long heavy walks look a lot easier than they actually are by cutting corners etc, but you also have people dragging out easy duties. Both situations make the data pointless and as soon as the is a re-sign jobs will look uneven again!
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by Trail »

The only time our office managers used PDA data is if a parcel/packet went missing.

It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.

Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).

And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by worktotime »

Trail wrote:The only time our office managers used PDA data is if a parcel/packet went missing.

It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.

Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).

And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
well done :Applause :Applause , can I ask do you do the job right ?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by k979aaa »

And they wonder why the job is FU*KED!
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by worktotime »

k979aaa wrote:And they wonder why the job is FU*KED!
f***ing bell end comes to mind mate . :evil/mad
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by aiden01 »

Trail wrote:The only time our office managers used PDA data is if a parcel/packet went missing.

It happened to me once. I was as clean as a whistle. The parcel turned up.

Everyone in our office knew I was the quickest thing on two legs and would 95% of the time finish well ahead of time, they never needed to check my PDA for anything else other than parcels gone astray. There wasn't anyone in our office who was quicker than me, and I was bounced from duty to duty to duty so familiarity with the route wasn't an issue. I still beat the c*nt out of everyone in our office (Doncaster).

And I listen to people on here moaning about fatigue or fitness. Get out of those CAT or Magnum shoes, get a decent pair of Nike Revolution 3 trainers on you and just go for it. I wouldn't touch any Royal Mail shoes at all. Would you expect Usain Bolt to run around in CAT boots? No, you wouldn't, so why expect people doing a half-marathon every day to do the same? As soon as I realised this I was knocking shitloads of time off of every bag I delivered.
Fool comes to mind an thats being nice :dance
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by norris9 »

If they are looking at PDA actuals to decide if our walks are fair or not, then surely that is a good thing...

I think on average I finish on time....but have no time for a break. So based on PDA actuals they should cut a loop out so I can fit in a break.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

A heads up regarding PDA data & walk design.

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:If they are looking at PDA actuals to decide if our walks are fair or not, then surely that is a good thing...

I think on average I finish on time....but have no time for a break. So based on PDA actuals they should cut a loop out so I can fit in a break.
I understand what you are saying and am somewhat guilty of the same thing. When we do things like coming in early or not take part or all of our breaks then we are covering up a problem in RM. We need to test the job to destruction and if there isn't enough time to complete the duty on a regular basis then this needs to be chased up and fixed.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.