ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by robbertwhitton »

At the age of 57 and been a postie for 37 of them,am starting to feel a tad worn out,in particular my hip,been to the doctor and had x Ray,and as expected it’s the early sights of arthritis,am in a fair bit of discomfort being sorted to a degree with painkillers,and customers have commented on me limping,just wondered what if anything I should do or expect Royal Mail to do tobhelp me and others in there later years in this company,anyone else have similar aches and pains,thanks in advance
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Advice

Post by clashcityrocker »

1. Amended duties under Equality Act legislation (if you qualify). Possibly an indoor job if that appeals to you?
2. Ill Health retirement - if you are in a financial position to do this?
3. Soldier on knowing the pain is going to get worse and the limping more pronounced (which will have a knock on effect on other parts of your body)
4. Hip replacement?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by leolion855 »

Dont worry youll be redundant on Wednesday once the announcement is out.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by robbertwhitton »

Many thanks,yes am sure hip replacement may be a cure,need to visit doctor again,not sure if they will accommodate me for indoor duty,Dom support etc,will sound the boss out and see what he says,as I said just wondered what Royal Mail should be obliged to do as an employer etc
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Advice

Post by clashcityrocker »

robbertwhitton wrote:Many thanks,yes am sure hip replacement may be a cure,need to visit doctor again,not sure if they will accommodate me for indoor duty,Dom support etc,will sound the boss out and see what he says,as I said just wondered what Royal Mail should be obliged to do as an employer etc
What RM will be obliged to do will be dependent on whether or not your condition qualifies as a disability under the Equality Act.
Maybe you could request an Occupational Health referral?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
high1ander
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 May 2015, 15:44
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by high1ander »

has your doc referred you to the rheumatology for the arthritis,reason im asking is I don't know what stage your at with it
I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 years ago and they put me on methotrexate as I was in some pain like you, im 53
anyway after about 4 weeks the methotrexate kicked in and it has made a big difference
now im actually in more pain when im off on holiday than when at work,still get bad days now and again but nothing like it was
arthritis is covered under the disability thing I read that on here on another thread but my advice is google methotrexate
like I said I don't know if youre already on that and still in pain but if not id give it a chance
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by robbertwhitton »

high1ander wrote:has your doc referred you to the rheumatology for the arthritis,reason im asking is I don't know what stage your at with it
I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 years ago and they put me on methotrexate as I was in some pain like you, im 53
anyway after about 4 weeks the methotrexate kicked in and it has made a big difference
now im actually in more pain when im off on holiday than when at work,still get bad days now and again but nothing like it was
arthritis is covered under the disability thing I read that on here on another thread but my advice is google methotrexate
like I said I don't know if youre already on that and still in pain but if not id give it a chance
Am very grateful to you for advice it’s much appreciated,early stages I guess at the mo,just on cocodamol,which doesn’t do much,waiting for my gp to return from holiday to see where we go,have done some pain questionnaire and returned so will see,it does slow me down but not a speed merchant anyway ,thanks again
hatter68
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by hatter68 »

Had bad knee since end of december seen doctors and have been assessed for some physio on NHS. I was initially given strong prescription painkillers but they won't prescribe me any more. I'm 59 and this job just getting harder. :cry
chuckychucks
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 15:58
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by chuckychucks »

high1ander wrote:has your doc referred you to the rheumatology for the arthritis,reason im asking is I don't know what stage your at with it
I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 years ago and they put me on methotrexate as I was in some pain like you, im 53
anyway after about 4 weeks the methotrexate kicked in and it has made a big difference
now im actually in more pain when im off on holiday than when at work,still get bad days now and again but nothing like it was
arthritis is covered under the disability thing I read that on here on another thread but my advice is google methotrexate
like I said I don't know if youre already on that and still in pain but if not id give it a chance
Yeah i am the same, although i couldn't tolerate Methotrexate, made me sick within 10 minutes, moved to Salazopyrin and then Leflunomide which was still no good, now i'm on a Biologic injection called Golimumaub which has been of great help, still need the strong pain killers to get me through the day, and so yes i agree that Rheumatology is a good option going forward.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
chuckychucks
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 15:58
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by chuckychucks »

97gaz wrote:
chuckychucks wrote:
high1ander wrote:I too find that being off work causes more pain than being at work.
I guess everyone is different in that regard, i struggle every day at work, i am in a lot of pain..when i'm at home i feel much more comfortable as i don't need to move around as much, but alas needs must :cry