ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Advice
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Advice
At the age of 57 and been a postie for 37 of them,am starting to feel a tad worn out,in particular my hip,been to the doctor and had x Ray,and as expected it’s the early sights of arthritis,am in a fair bit of discomfort being sorted to a degree with painkillers,and customers have commented on me limping,just wondered what if anything I should do or expect Royal Mail to do tobhelp me and others in there later years in this company,anyone else have similar aches and pains,thanks in advance
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Advice
1. Amended duties under Equality Act legislation (if you qualify). Possibly an indoor job if that appeals to you?
2. Ill Health retirement - if you are in a financial position to do this?
3. Soldier on knowing the pain is going to get worse and the limping more pronounced (which will have a knock on effect on other parts of your body)
4. Hip replacement?
2. Ill Health retirement - if you are in a financial position to do this?
3. Soldier on knowing the pain is going to get worse and the limping more pronounced (which will have a knock on effect on other parts of your body)
4. Hip replacement?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Advice
Many thanks,yes am sure hip replacement may be a cure,need to visit doctor again,not sure if they will accommodate me for indoor duty,Dom support etc,will sound the boss out and see what he says,as I said just wondered what Royal Mail should be obliged to do as an employer etc
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Advice
What RM will be obliged to do will be dependent on whether or not your condition qualifies as a disability under the Equality Act.robbertwhitton wrote:Many thanks,yes am sure hip replacement may be a cure,need to visit doctor again,not sure if they will accommodate me for indoor duty,Dom support etc,will sound the boss out and see what he says,as I said just wondered what Royal Mail should be obliged to do as an employer etc
Maybe you could request an Occupational Health referral?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
high1ander
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 04 May 2015, 15:44
- Gender: Male
Advice
has your doc referred you to the rheumatology for the arthritis,reason im asking is I don't know what stage your at with it
I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 years ago and they put me on methotrexate as I was in some pain like you, im 53
anyway after about 4 weeks the methotrexate kicked in and it has made a big difference
now im actually in more pain when im off on holiday than when at work,still get bad days now and again but nothing like it was
arthritis is covered under the disability thing I read that on here on another thread but my advice is google methotrexate
like I said I don't know if youre already on that and still in pain but if not id give it a chance
I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 years ago and they put me on methotrexate as I was in some pain like you, im 53
anyway after about 4 weeks the methotrexate kicked in and it has made a big difference
now im actually in more pain when im off on holiday than when at work,still get bad days now and again but nothing like it was
arthritis is covered under the disability thing I read that on here on another thread but my advice is google methotrexate
like I said I don't know if youre already on that and still in pain but if not id give it a chance
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Advice
Am very grateful to you for advice it’s much appreciated,early stages I guess at the mo,just on cocodamol,which doesn’t do much,waiting for my gp to return from holiday to see where we go,have done some pain questionnaire and returned so will see,it does slow me down but not a speed merchant anyway ,thanks againhigh1ander wrote:has your doc referred you to the rheumatology for the arthritis,reason im asking is I don't know what stage your at with it
I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 years ago and they put me on methotrexate as I was in some pain like you, im 53
anyway after about 4 weeks the methotrexate kicked in and it has made a big difference
now im actually in more pain when im off on holiday than when at work,still get bad days now and again but nothing like it was
arthritis is covered under the disability thing I read that on here on another thread but my advice is google methotrexate
like I said I don't know if youre already on that and still in pain but if not id give it a chance
-
hatter68
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Advice
Had bad knee since end of december seen doctors and have been assessed for some physio on NHS. I was initially given strong prescription painkillers but they won't prescribe me any more. I'm 59 and this job just getting harder. 
-
chuckychucks
- Posts: 97
- Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 15:58
- Gender: Male
Advice
Yeah i am the same, although i couldn't tolerate Methotrexate, made me sick within 10 minutes, moved to Salazopyrin and then Leflunomide which was still no good, now i'm on a Biologic injection called Golimumaub which has been of great help, still need the strong pain killers to get me through the day, and so yes i agree that Rheumatology is a good option going forward.high1ander wrote:has your doc referred you to the rheumatology for the arthritis,reason im asking is I don't know what stage your at with it
I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 years ago and they put me on methotrexate as I was in some pain like you, im 53
anyway after about 4 weeks the methotrexate kicked in and it has made a big difference
now im actually in more pain when im off on holiday than when at work,still get bad days now and again but nothing like it was
arthritis is covered under the disability thing I read that on here on another thread but my advice is google methotrexate
like I said I don't know if youre already on that and still in pain but if not id give it a chance
-
chuckychucks
- Posts: 97
- Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 15:58
- Gender: Male
Advice
I guess everyone is different in that regard, i struggle every day at work, i am in a lot of pain..when i'm at home i feel much more comfortable as i don't need to move around as much, but alas needs must97gaz wrote:chuckychucks wrote:high1ander wrote:I too find that being off work causes more pain than being at work.