ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Post by Sledge4211 »

Need a bit of advice! I recently signed for a duty permanently over the last few weeks. As I am not a reserve anymore but my DOM asked me to go to a depot outside of my county which is quite a long way plus my insurance doesn’t cover me. I asked for a van, they refused or didn’t want to give me one. What is a reasonable distant and what are my rights?

Surely as a duty holder and not a “reserve” anymore I shouldn’t be sent to other DO? I’ve been with the royal Mail a long time.

Any union reps or ex union reps know what the deal is?
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Post by Trail »

Sledge4211 wrote:Need a bit of advice! I recently signed for a duty permanently over the last few weeks. As I am not a reserve anymore but my DOM asked me to go to a depot outside of my county which is quite a long way plus my insurance doesn’t cover me. I asked for a van, they refused or didn’t want to give me one. What is a reasonable distant and what are my rights?

Surely as a duty holder and not a “reserve” anymore I shouldn’t be sent to other DO? I’ve been with the royal Mail a long time.

Any union reps or ex union reps know what the deal is?
Should've just refused to go.

Don't use your own car because if you have a bump you're f*cked as you're not insured and any insurance company will use any excuse to get out of paying out. If they won't give you a van tell them you have no viable means of getting there. Offer to use public transport if they pay. They won't.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Post by Celgar »

NEVER EVER use your own vehicle to drive to a different DO even if you have the required business type insurance which you probably don't. It is up to RM to transport you to another DO if they want you to move and both journeys have to be within your usual duty time. We have to act within the rules to make this activity as difficult for RM to achieve as possible.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Post by FirstPost »

Celgar wrote:NEVER EVER use your own vehicle to drive to a different DO even if you have the required business type insurance which you probably don't. It is up to RM to transport you to another DO if they want you to move and both journeys have to be within your usual duty time. We have to act within the rules to make this activity as difficult for RM to achieve as possible.
so I should arrive at my regular office at my normal start time and wait for them to provide transport? in no way should I leave my house and allow extra time to travel to another DO in my own car?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

FirstPost wrote:
Celgar wrote:NEVER EVER use your own vehicle to drive to a different DO even if you have the required business type insurance which you probably don't. It is up to RM to transport you to another DO if they want you to move and both journeys have to be within your usual duty time. We have to act within the rules to make this activity as difficult for RM to achieve as possible.
so I should arrive at my regular office at my normal start time and wait for them to provide transport? in no way should I leave my house and allow extra time to travel to another DO in my own car?
Correct.

If you are tasked to work in another office then the PM07 agreement specifically states

CWU AND ROYAL MAIL PAY AND MODERNISATION AGREEMENT - APRIL 2007/2009


Working in nearby offices – Areas will identify and agree with the CWU locally an approach (which could include the use of volunteers and reserves) to working in nearby offices within employees’ contracted hours which will include travel times and appropriate travel and subsistence arrangements.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Post by k979aaa »

TAXI
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Signed for duty but still sent to other DO

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Don't forget to give enough time for a return journey so you finish on time.