ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

sick Pay

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
has2tri
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Oct 2018, 09:36
Gender: Female

sick Pay

Post by has2tri »

I started working for RM the end of January. I have had no holidays, been working overtime and my day off.
I have just had 3 days off sick as was taken to hospital.
I have today received a letter to say I will not be getting sickpay.

Is this right?? I know I havent been at Royal Mail long but thought sickpay was paid.
Thanks in advance
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

sick Pay

Post by Sledge4211 »

has2tri wrote:I started working for RM the end of January. I have had no holidays, been working overtime and my day off.
I have just had 3 days off sick as was taken to hospital.
I have today received a letter to say I will not be getting sickpay.

Is this right?? I know I havent been at Royal Mail long but thought sickpay was paid.
Thanks in advance
Yes this is standard procedure. After 12 months service you will be entitled to full sick pay unless your contract states otherwise.
has2tri
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Oct 2018, 09:36
Gender: Female

sick Pay

Post by has2tri »

Thank you
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

sick Pay

Post by FirstPost »

Sledge4211 wrote:
has2tri wrote:I started working for RM the end of January. I have had no holidays, been working overtime and my day off.
I have just had 3 days off sick as was taken to hospital.
I have today received a letter to say I will not be getting sickpay.

Is this right?? I know I havent been at Royal Mail long but thought sickpay was paid.
Thanks in advance
Yes this is standard procedure. After 12 months service you will be entitled to full sick pay unless your contract states otherwise.
even after 12 months isn't it up to the DOM whether they pay you or not?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

sick Pay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

FirstPost wrote:
Sledge4211 wrote:
has2tri wrote:I started working for RM the end of January. I have had no holidays, been working overtime and my day off.
I have just had 3 days off sick as was taken to hospital.
I have today received a letter to say I will not be getting sickpay.

Is this right?? I know I havent been at Royal Mail long but thought sickpay was paid.
Thanks in advance
Yes this is standard procedure. After 12 months service you will be entitled to full sick pay unless your contract states otherwise.
even after 12 months isn't it up to the DOM whether they pay you or not?

Yes but they have to have a very good reason why they stopped it unless you have exhausted the time limits.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

sick Pay

Post by maisymoo04 »

probably why your sick working overtime and days off since January ?? :hmmmm :hmmmm :arrrghhh
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

sick Pay

Post by Navalron »

You can claim ssp which won't pay you anything as you have not been over a week off. But it will still be better for you if you go on the sick within the next 26weeks and you had made a claim at this point, as the two separate or more periods can be linked and then theirs no WAITING TIME.
has2tri
Posts: 63
Joined: 14 Oct 2018, 09:36
Gender: Female

sick Pay

Post by has2tri »

maisymoo04 wrote:probably why your sick working overtime and days off since January ?? :hmmmm :hmmmm :arrrghhh
Unfortunately I need the money :sad:
goneaway
Posts: 314
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
Gender: Male

sick Pay

Post by goneaway »

Navalron wrote:You can claim ssp which won't pay you anything as you have not been over a week off. But it will still be better for you if you go on the sick within the next 26weeks and you had made a claim at this point, as the two separate or more periods can be linked and then theirs no WAITING TIME.
In fact, you do not have to have been off work for over a week. This from the gov.uk website:

"You can get £94.25 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

"You need to qualify for SSP and have been off work sick for 4 or more days in a row (including non-working days).

"You cannot get less than the statutory amount."


https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

sick Pay

Post by maisymoo04 »

has2tri wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:probably why your sick working overtime and days off since January ?? :hmmmm :hmmmm :arrrghhh
Unfortunately I need the money :sad:
:nervous :wink:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"