ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
Mail gets sorted into correct running order even when it doesn't have a number on it?
i.e. John Smith lives at 30 main street in Anytown, but even when the '30' is missing, it still comes in order, even if there is no other letters for them.
i.e. John Smith lives at 30 main street in Anytown, but even when the '30' is missing, it still comes in order, even if there is no other letters for them.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
I guess sequenced mail is mail where a machine can read the address and put the mail in order. These are all digitally printed addresses. I wonder if RM can put a rule in place where you can only send mail which has a digitally printed address, then surely it would save RM a hell of a lot of time in sorting post, but then again would it cause too much hassle for customers and lose RM a lot of them.
People just need to buy a label printer. Maybe RM could sell them on their website and make some £££ whilst also saving sorting time.
People just need to buy a label printer. Maybe RM could sell them on their website and make some £££ whilst also saving sorting time.
-
Bernardson
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
It's not a quirk it's a result of AI remembering and storing information.
I hardly get any missorts in my mech compared to a few years ago.
I hardly get any missorts in my mech compared to a few years ago.
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
I didn't think RM was allowed to store such things?Bernardson wrote:It's not a quirk it's a result of AI remembering and storing information.
I hardly get any missorts in my mech compared to a few years ago.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
Remember, as far as I know, there are people running these machines.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
I’ve had this, but I still kill them off as “incomplete address”!themailman wrote:Mail gets sorted into correct running order even when it doesn't have a number on it?
i.e. John Smith lives at 30 main street in Anytown, but even when the '30' is missing, it still comes in order, even if there is no other letters for them.
Last edited by nightcrawler on 12 May 2019, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
That's what I tend to do - seem to be less of them coming through now since GPDR happened, I think becausenightcrawler wrote:I’ve had this, but I still kill them off as “imcomplete address”!themailman wrote:Mail gets sorted into correct running order even when it doesn't have a number on it?
i.e. John Smith lives at 30 main street in Anytown, but even when the '30' is missing, it still comes in order, even if there is no other letters for them.
companies used to pass their customer databases to anyone they felt like and so incorrect addresses were duplicated ad infinitum.
-
Steve_claret
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 324
- Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 14:53
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
AI isn't a RM system. It is managed and run by Lockheed Martin.themailman wrote:I didn't think RM was allowed to store such things?Bernardson wrote:It's not a quirk it's a result of AI remembering and storing information.
I hardly get any missorts in my mech compared to a few years ago.
Most address information including delivery points is now contained in the Mailmark barcodes. This is what the CSS machines will now be sequencing on certainly for DSA type mail.
-
max power
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 21:30
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
Kill them off incomplete addressthemailman wrote:Mail gets sorted into correct running order even when it doesn't have a number on it?
i.e. John Smith lives at 30 main street in Anytown, but even when the '30' is missing, it still comes in order, even if there is no other letters for them.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
max power wrote:Kill them off incomplete addressthemailman wrote:Mail gets sorted into correct running order even when it doesn't have a number on it?
i.e. John Smith lives at 30 main street in Anytown, but even when the '30' is missing, it still comes in order, even if there is no other letters for them.
Yep, I'm not having no uppity machine telling me who lives where on my delivery.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
What if the AI becomes self aware? Terminators as DOMS?Steve_claret wrote:AI isn't a RM system. It is managed and run by Lockheed Martin.themailman wrote:I didn't think RM was allowed to store such things?Bernardson wrote:It's not a quirk it's a result of AI remembering and storing information.
I hardly get any missorts in my mech compared to a few years ago.
Most address information including delivery points is now contained in the Mailmark barcodes. This is what the CSS machines will now be sequencing on certainly for DSA type mail.
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
I think it could be based on a pattern matching algorithm - the more of the address that matches, the closer it gets it.
i.e. it will assign a percentage of reliability to the information, e.g. a postcode match maybe 70%, a Town match 30%, A street Match 40% and a name match 10%. That way an incorrect postcode but correct town, street and name would still get to the right address.
At least, that's how I'd do it.
i.e. it will assign a percentage of reliability to the information, e.g. a postcode match maybe 70%, a Town match 30%, A street Match 40% and a name match 10%. That way an incorrect postcode but correct town, street and name would still get to the right address.
At least, that's how I'd do it.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
If you have any letters which not incorrectly written, eg. missing house number or house number that doesn't exist.....how much effort do you go to to work out which house it may be for? or do you just not waste anytime with them and just put RTS and put them where in the relevant dead slot/box somewhere at the depot?
If there is no return address - is that when you actually try to find the address it is for? and if you can't find it where do these go? as there is no sender to return them to. Do they still go in the dead's pile?
If there is no return address - is that when you actually try to find the address it is for? and if you can't find it where do these go? as there is no sender to return them to. Do they still go in the dead's pile?
Last edited by norris9 on 13 May 2019, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
Depends - if you're the regular postie you have a fair chance of knowing, cover duty/leave reserve less so. For me it furthermore depends what it appears to be -norris9 wrote:If you have any letters which are not incorrectly written, eg. missing house number or house number that doesn't exist.....how much effort do you go to to work out which house it may be for? or do you just not waste anytime with them and just put RTS and put them where in the relevant dead slot/box somewhere at the depot?
If there is no return address - is that when you actually try to find the address it is for? and if you can't find it where do these go? as there is no sender to return them to. Do they still go in the dead's pile?
obvious catalogues and marketing material get RTS'd. If it's 'official' looking mail you can't tell what it is and a regular postie is on within the next couple of
days I'll leave it for him/her bundling up with a laggy band leaving on the frame with a label out of a york or 739 saying 'Unable to ID DP' or words to that effect.
If I'm covering for a week or more it gets RTS'd regardless.
If there's no RTS you still stick a sticker on it. It goes to the Returns Centre at Belfast and I think they've got the right to open stuff to try and ID
the originator or intended recipient of mail.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/r ... re-1713249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If they can't I think they destroy it securely. You're not allowed to open mail!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Anyone else noticed a quirk with sequenced mail
Oh come on - self aware managersgreengiant wrote:What if the AI becomes self aware? Terminators as DOMS?Steve_claret wrote:AI isn't a RM system. It is managed and run by Lockheed Martin.themailman wrote:I didn't think RM was allowed to store such things?Bernardson wrote:It's not a quirk it's a result of AI remembering and storing information.
I hardly get any missorts in my mech compared to a few years ago.
Most address information including delivery points is now contained in the Mailmark barcodes. This is what the CSS machines will now be sequencing on certainly for DSA type mail.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.