ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lost special

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by Oxygenpro »

Advise please,

So yesterday I was on a van share and we had 12 specials, of which 2 were towards the end of the round so we decided to get them out the way and not have to worry about them. Mine wasn't in so I carded it and my colleague asked me to put it in a tray in the back of the van. Fast forward to this morning and my manager asks me what I know about it, I explain that I put it in the back of the van at 10am and after that I have no access to the van until halfway round the round where we local collect stuff to the post office in the village, but as I am there after my colleague he has already taken all the notice lefts inside. It turns out the only scan on the item is me at the door so it has been lost between me putting it in the van (my colleague saw me put it there and is freely admitting so) and him getting to the post office half way round.

My question is really what is the procedure for this? As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm expecting a call on my day off as the customer has complained and it was foreign currency.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by leolion855 »

Can you check at the local collect place?
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by Oxygenpro »

They've already checked. Nothing was scanned there and they've gone through everything to see if 2 were stook together or something.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by number one »

Might be in a tray/bag. They usually always turn up
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by Oxygenpro »

Just wondered what happens if it doesn't show up. It's the other guys duty, I was just covering for the walker as he's off sick. He's emptied his van/bags and nothing there.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by scoobymunster »

You sure it wasn't between two trays put inside one another? Usually it'll turn up, ended up in a collection bag or something etc.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by scoobydo79 »

I’m thinking it will turn up.They usually do.At the Sub? Gone into the collection? In a cassette?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Any sign of it yet?
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by Oxygenpro »

Nope, all I can think is it's been dropped or something. Van/bags were checked top to bottom. There was only one tray in the van and it was the one containing all the specials. Post office have checked everywhere and we know the only scan was when I scanned it as no answer on the door step.

What's annoying me is the grief I'm gonna get for it when I know 100% my only contact with it was to put it back in the tray.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by yellowbelly »

Oxygenpro wrote:Advise please,

So yesterday I was on a van share and we had 12 specials, of which 2 were towards the end of the round so we decided to get them out the way and not have to worry about them. Mine wasn't in so I carded it and my colleague asked me to put it in a tray in the back of the van. Fast forward to this morning and my manager asks me what I know about it, I explain that I put it in the back of the van at 10am and after that I have no access to the van until halfway round the round where we local collect stuff to the post office in the village, but as I am there after my colleague he has already taken all the notice lefts inside. It turns out the only scan on the item is me at the door so it has been lost between me putting it in the van (my colleague saw me put it there and is freely admitting so) and him getting to the post office half way round.

My question is really what is the procedure for this? As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm expecting a call on my day off as the customer has complained and it was foreign currency.
If your colleague agrees with what you've said above (which I've highlighted) and is willing to say so, how can you bear any responsibility for it's current whereabouts?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Lost special

Post by arnold cheshire »

You handed it in ? If so it's been stolen not your responsibility to watch it in the locker
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by postslippete »

We used to have a book for writing in the addresses of special delivery items that we handed back in and they would stamp it to say that they have received it. Its easy how things can go missing so its always best to cover your back as best as possible. In our office the responsibility of the Specials lies with the driver who signs for them and its small wonder that many posties who work for Royal Mail don't like being the nominated driver.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by Postie45 »

To me its a lack of proper procedure for handover of specials at the PO that should get you off the hook for any wrongdoing. if there is no process in place to sign over the specials at the desk when handing them over, then its impossible for anyone to say where the blame lies. Your partner could have handed it in and it was lost at the PO for all anyone could actually know.
This is not to say RM wont try to conduct you for this, they likely will if it hasnt turned up.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Lost special

Post by norris9 »

postslippete wrote:We used to have a book for writing in the addresses of special delivery items that we handed back in and they would stamp it to say that they have received it. Its easy how things can go missing so its always best to cover your back as best as possible. In our office the responsibility of the Specials lies with the driver who signs for them and its small wonder that many posties who work for Royal Mail don't like being the nominated driver.
Who decides who is the 'nominated driver'? and is it fairly swopped about?

I have people at my depot who refuse to drive....is this allowed?
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Lost special

Post by Oxygenpro »

yellowbelly wrote:
Oxygenpro wrote:Advise please,

So yesterday I was on a van share and we had 12 specials, of which 2 were towards the end of the round so we decided to get them out the way and not have to worry about them. Mine wasn't in so I carded it and my colleague asked me to put it in a tray in the back of the van. Fast forward to this morning and my manager asks me what I know about it, I explain that I put it in the back of the van at 10am and after that I have no access to the van until halfway round the round where we local collect stuff to the post office in the village, but as I am there after my colleague he has already taken all the notice lefts inside. It turns out the only scan on the item is me at the door so it has been lost between me putting it in the van (my colleague saw me put it there and is freely admitting so) and him getting to the post office half way round.

My question is really what is the procedure for this? As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm expecting a call on my day off as the customer has complained and it was foreign currency.
If your colleague agrees with what you've said above (which I've highlighted) and is willing to say so, how can you bear any responsibility for it's current whereabouts?

That is my thinking. The facts are that 1. I've scanned at doorstep 2. Driver has seen me put back in van after leaving notice with customer 3. I then have no access to the back of the van. To me a logical manager would see that I can't be blamed once I hand it to driver.