ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Seeking new role due to depression
-
janty
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Seeking new role due to depression
Hi seeking some advice on the possibility of redeployment within the Royal mail group. I've been off with situational depression for a second time within 6 months. My depression seems to stem from inhibility of management to provide a stress free working environment. My colleagues in the office where I'm based all hate each other to the extent that there's we gangs everywhere. I work in a delivery office in Belfast and its toxic. Everyone hates each other. backstabbing is commonplace. If you talk to one person then you will be blanked by others. Amazingly managers take part in turning people against each other. I've complained a number of times to my Dim. He's clueless as to remedy the situation or just doesn't give a toss. During the last threat of strike I voted in favour of strike after being promised by cwu that indoor practice of bullying and toxic workplaces would be challenged. Well its got to a point, I believe its causing me to become depressed. AGAIN. So in going to ask to be removed from delivery under health and safety. Royal mail are obligated to provide a positive, stress free workplace which they ain't. So therefore in my eyes they are breaking the law. Health and safety act 2010. Thanks for reading and please leave me your thoughts. Thanks.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Seeking new role due to depression
Realistically your only option is going to be moving to Belfast MC, as with DOs the only non-delivery jobs I can think off are the callers office and the locker (which could be classed as specialist duties). Moving to Belfast MC might not be an option for sure as i would imagine that DDA cases would get priority and they've probably only got capacity for a certain number of DDA cases
-
janty
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 06 May 2010, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Seeking new role due to depression
Maybe the mail centre will be my only option. Though the thought of working 2-10 every day whilst having a young family doesn't really appeal to me. I wonder is it just My office that suffers from this toxic, unbearable atmosphere or is it endemic through the business. It may be that after 20 years in post I will have to leave and try and find somewhere else to work. Somewhere that actually gives a toss about there staff and morale.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Seeking new role due to depression
You might not be guaranteed full time hours at the MC as the trend these days seems to be for an increase in the number of part-time staff
-
Ciderboy1957
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:46
- Gender: Male
Seeking new role due to depression
Put it in writing to them yourself or a letter from your doctor .
Ps I know what your talking about ie what office it is , being going on for years with management not fulfilling their duty of care
Ps I know what your talking about ie what office it is , being going on for years with management not fulfilling their duty of care
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Seeking new role due to depression
A change of D.O. might be the answer, I was previously in an office that didn't sound much better than yours with constant bitching and back biting amongst staff.
I've since relocated to a different office (for other reasons) but the difference in the atmosphere and general camaraderie is like night and day... even though my new office still has the same RM issues of unachievable workloads and uneven duties there's none of the nasty bitchy culture that existed in my previous office. Still plenty of banter and piss taking and moaning, but none of the really toxic stuff.
I've since relocated to a different office (for other reasons) but the difference in the atmosphere and general camaraderie is like night and day... even though my new office still has the same RM issues of unachievable workloads and uneven duties there's none of the nasty bitchy culture that existed in my previous office. Still plenty of banter and piss taking and moaning, but none of the really toxic stuff.