ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
HCT
-
Gasman11
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
- Gender: Male
HCT
Been in the job 5 and a half years and got my own walk 6 months ago which is a HCT duty. Never suffered with any back pain in the first 5 years, carried bags up to a certain weight and LWTs for anything mildly heavy and above or awkward etc. Last few weeks though on HCT walk finding the middle of my back is aching badly when im into my last hour of the round. Feel like lying on the pavement at times its that sore. Is this just an unavoidable symptom of pushing a weighty HCT around on a busy round?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
HCT
Simply put, yes. If you are having issues you may highlight them with your manager, they could take you off that duty to a non hct one though, so it's your call. Is it possible to do it without a hct?
Also think about what the long term affects on your back are if you continue to put it through this each day.
Also think about what the long term affects on your back are if you continue to put it through this each day.
-
Scama_bug
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 22:43
- Gender: Male
HCT
Sorry to invade your post, I have a question and I don't see the point to open another topic.
Does anyone know if new starters will do only HCT? I've been working for about a month and the new postmen have done only HCT rounds, I don't mind them but when I applied I thought the job is for delivery on a van not on the trolley. On some rounds you can't even find a toilet nevermind a break when it rains or snows.
Thank you
Does anyone know if new starters will do only HCT? I've been working for about a month and the new postmen have done only HCT rounds, I don't mind them but when I applied I thought the job is for delivery on a van not on the trolley. On some rounds you can't even find a toilet nevermind a break when it rains or snows.
Thank you
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
HCT
no its not a policy to have starters on HCT duties, whats likely happening at your office is youre being given the duties no one else wants to do. HCT is an agreed form of working, you may have to bide your time to do something non-HCT. If its a real problem for you maybe have a word with whoever does the duties and request a non HCT duty.Scama_bug wrote:Sorry to invade your post, I have a question and I don't see the point to open another topic.
Does anyone know if new starters will do only HCT? I've been working for about a month and the new postmen have done only HCT rounds, I don't mind them but when I applied I thought the job is for delivery on a van not on the trolley. On some rounds you can't even find a toilet nevermind a break when it rains or snows.
Thank you :nana
-
Scama_bug
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 22:43
- Gender: Male
HCT
I don't mind if I do HCT from time to time but not every week and hopefully it won't be permanent.Postie45 wrote:no its not a policy to have starters on HCT duties, whats likely happening at your office is youre being given the duties no one else wants to do. HCT is an agreed form of working, you may have to bide your time to do something non-HCT. If its a real problem for you maybe have a word with whoever does the duties and request a non HCT duty.Scama_bug wrote:Sorry to invade your post, I have a question and I don't see the point to open another topic.
Does anyone know if new starters will do only HCT? I've been working for about a month and the new postmen have done only HCT rounds, I don't mind them but when I applied I thought the job is for delivery on a van not on the trolley. On some rounds you can't even find a toilet nevermind a break when it rains or snows.
Thank you
I will give it a try for 6 months maybe a year and see what will change, maybe is to soon to take any conclusion.
I don't want to speak with any manager about this as maybe they will take it as a moan? I don't even know who the DOM is, I was put on a route from day 2 and that was all.
Probably that's how things are done in the office.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
HCT
I dont blame you for not bringing it up, keep your nose clean til you clear probation seems to be the best policy.
There should be toilet facilities noted on your duty, or you to return to the office or somewhere suitable, again this kind of thing is easier to demand for someone who has a full contract.
Always a strange one with toilet breaks for me, how long is acceptable to be expected to go without going ? Considering duties can push 5 hours, is returning to the office every day after say 3 hrs acceptable ? This could obviously cause issues with completing in duty time.
There should be toilet facilities noted on your duty, or you to return to the office or somewhere suitable, again this kind of thing is easier to demand for someone who has a full contract.
Always a strange one with toilet breaks for me, how long is acceptable to be expected to go without going ? Considering duties can push 5 hours, is returning to the office every day after say 3 hrs acceptable ? This could obviously cause issues with completing in duty time.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
HCT
Gasman11 wrote:Been in the job 5 and a half years and got my own walk 6 months ago which is a HCT duty. Never suffered with any back pain in the first 5 years, carried bags up to a certain weight and LWTs for anything mildly heavy and above or awkward etc. Last few weeks though on HCT walk finding the middle of my back is aching badly when im into my last hour of the round. Feel like lying on the pavement at times its that sore. Is this just an unavoidable symptom of pushing a weighty HCT around on a busy round?
and people go on about using trolleys as if trolleys are some miracle worker that don't put any strain on your body and make you fly so you are no longer walking.....
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
HCT
The HCT and LWT are too different beasts. The LWT doesn't weigh over 100kg and its a lot easier to manuvor.norris9 wrote:Gasman11 wrote:Been in the job 5 and a half years and got my own walk 6 months ago which is a HCT duty. Never suffered with any back pain in the first 5 years, carried bags up to a certain weight and LWTs for anything mildly heavy and above or awkward etc. Last few weeks though on HCT walk finding the middle of my back is aching badly when im into my last hour of the round. Feel like lying on the pavement at times its that sore. Is this just an unavoidable symptom of pushing a weighty HCT around on a busy round?
and people go on about using trolleys as if trolleys are some miracle worker that don't put any strain on your body and make you fly so you are no longer walking.....![]()
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
HCT
If you're supposed to use a trolley for your walk, USE IT! If you don't and you injure yourself, one of the first questions that the manager is likely to ask is "Was you using the proper equipment?". If you were not then you'll get the blame for it (and chances are it would go against you if you ended up going off sick long enough to trigger a stage
-
Ikaros666
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 22 Sep 2015, 15:04
- Gender: Male
HCT
I've been doing a HCT round for about three years now. cover about 15 miles a day with the blasted thing. Sadly bad backs seem to unavoidable for me as well. Something to do with how you need to push one compared to a LWT or a bag on the back.Gasman11 wrote:Been in the job 5 and a half years and got my own walk 6 months ago which is a HCT duty. Never suffered with any back pain in the first 5 years, carried bags up to a certain weight and LWTs for anything mildly heavy and above or awkward etc. Last few weeks though on HCT walk finding the middle of my back is aching badly when im into my last hour of the round. Feel like lying on the pavement at times its that sore. Is this just an unavoidable symptom of pushing a weighty HCT around on a busy round?
Only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have the load properly balanced, absolutely do not bump the thing up kerbs, and wherever possible leave it chained up and use it as a bag box (obviously bear in mind you can't leave it for more than 10 minutes).
I've also heard that may be working on your core muscles might help with reducing the ache, but I'm too lazy for that exercise lark.
Oh, and HCTs are rarely appropriate for the round, let alone the body ;)