ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fitness

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

Newbie here....

Was worried my legs would be so rekt that I would have to phone in and say 'sorry boss - My legs r farked'.

They r rekt, but not that rekt.


Everyday since day 1 my legs are fatigued so much that after doing my round I am walking around the house like a decrepit old man. Muscle ache/soreness/tightness + my feet feel like they have been pounding concrete (which they have).

I guess going from no exercise to 4 hours walking a day is a bit crazy, and the max rest time between a round has been 2 days. I think I probably need to have a week off, let my body totally recover and then maybe this daily inability to walk like a normal human being after my round will go away.

Although I am waking up at 7am, I am totally knackered by 8-9pm and need to go to bed, which sucks.

To the newbies: Have you had the same problem? maybe took at least 4 or 5 days off and that helped you to stop feeling so fatigued in your legs? or are your legs feeling rekt everyday no matter what? What time do you go to bed?

To the veterans: How are you after getting back home from your round in terms of how your legs feel, your ability to walk normally, and how tired you are? What time do you go to bed?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Fitness

Post by arnold cheshire »

I thought I had written the above
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by grandypants »

Does get easier Im a 20 year man in my sixties bed about 11.30 up 5.45 no problem when I start it was 6 days 5.15 start but we finished a lot earlier than now and a lot less mail regardless from what we are told today you cant bullshit us who have been here for a long time
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Jpro747 »

6 years in found it hard for the first few years pushing trollies on town walks. Now a reserve on rural duties so less walking but still feel pretty knackered after a days work, bed around half 10.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by CharlesSpooner »

norris9 wrote:Newbie here....

Was worried my legs would be so rekt that I would have to phone in and say 'sorry boss - My legs r farked'.

They r rekt, but not that rekt.


Everyday since day 1 my legs are fatigued so much that after doing my round I am walking around the house like a decrepit old man. Muscle ache/soreness/tightness + my feet feel like they have been pounding concrete (which they have).

I guess going from no exercise to 4 hours walking a day is a bit crazy, and the max rest time between a round has been 2 days. I think I probably need to have a week off, let my body totally recover and then maybe this daily inability to walk like a normal human being after my round will go away.

Although I am waking up at 7am, I am totally knackered by 8-9pm and need to go to bed, which sucks.

To the newbies: Have you had the same problem? maybe took at least 4 or 5 days off and that helped you to stop feeling so fatigued in your legs? or are your legs feeling rekt everyday no matter what? What time do you go to bed?

To the veterans: How are you after getting back home from your round in terms of how your legs feel, your ability to walk normally, and how tired you are? What time do you go to bed?
I'm a "veteran" of 20+ years. If I keep busy after work I don't notice it too much but if I sit down then it's very easy to nod off and I definitely feel it when I get up again! My knees, ankles and hips are definitely protesting a lot more over the last couple of years though and I'm not entirely convinced I'll make 40 years in the job - most of the older ones in our place have took redundancy / being paid off as the years have took their toll.

I'm not convinced your body gets used to the job as it is now in some offices, but you get used to your body feeling a bit crappy :Boo hoo!

You just get used to the aches and tiredness eventually
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

norris9 wrote:my feet feel like they have been pounding concrete (which they have).
I guess going from no exercise to 4 hours walking a day is a bit crazy
If you haven't already, buy some gel insoles. It's like walking on a spongy surface and they're healthy for your legs and feet. Plus, they'll make you bounce faster down the streets. :wink: Scholl sells a good pair, but they can be pricey (about £12 depending on where you shop for them).
Insoles.jpg
Have you had the same problem? Maybe took at least 4 or 5 days off and that helped you to stop feeling so fatigued in your legs? Or are your legs feeling wrecked everyday no matter what? What time do you go to bed?
When I started I was a bit overweight, but I'm now pretty slim. Having said that, I would go to bed about 10:00 pm but couldn't fall asleep for an hour or two due to my legs throbbing from the fatigue and adrenaline. It's as if my blood is still pumping through my legs at a furious rate. Nowadays I like to take a warm foam bath with bath salts to relax my muscles.

And I joined a gym to help work on my neck and back muscles. They don't get the same workout on the job as my legs, shoulders and feet do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by Yamr1 »

And they want to make the walks longer eventually

Lol hope some high up management is reading this

There trying to cripple us
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Celgar »

I think it's usual to start dropping off to sleep in the chair from 8pm onwards and that isn't something to worry about in particular. You shouldn't really be having severe aches and pains though but we do read posts on here quite often similar to yours. There is a known problem with foot problems including the one where the arch of your feet drops.
I would say it is best to use the equipment provided as intended and not have mail pouches on your shoulder. The LWT or HCT should be taking the strain and not your back. There is still deep resistance to using the trolleys which I do not really understand. They don't slow you down and it's not like having to wear a cycle helmet and hi vis all day which most of us resisted when we had the bikes. If the trikes are introduced RM will see the same resistance to helmet use!!
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Trail »

Don't wear any shoes RM provide.

Magnum are awful. CAT are absolutely atrocious.

I walked around in Nike Revolution trainers. I was the quickest kid in our office by a mile. It's mainly due to fitness, but footwear comes into it.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Yamr1 wrote:And they want to make the walks longer eventually

Lol hope some high up management is reading this

There trying to cripple us
I wonder if it's as a result of PDA actuals. If they've seen loads finishing earlier than their official finish time around the country (irrespective of how many have cut corners or come in early for free) then they've probably decided that overall there's scope to make all walks longer
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Celgar »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Yamr1 wrote:And they want to make the walks longer eventually

Lol hope some high up management is reading this

There trying to cripple us
I wonder if it's as a result of PDA actuals. If they've seen loads finishing earlier than their official finish time around the country (irrespective of how many have cut corners or come in early for free) then they've probably decided that overall there's scope to make all walks longer
The 'net' timings RM have from PDA actuals largely have little basis in fact but unfortunately they are being acted upon. Sadly posties are mostly still coming in before duty time starts and are either taking only part or no break time. Without the AHDC being implemented RM cannot see what is going on so they just see some duty time not being worked. We posties are enabling this to happen and will not learn.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Jpro747 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Yamr1 wrote:And they want to make the walks longer eventually

Lol hope some high up management is reading this

There trying to cripple us
I wonder if it's as a result of PDA actuals. If they've seen loads finishing earlier than their official finish time around the country (irrespective of how many have cut corners or come in early for free) then they've probably decided that overall there's scope to make all walks longer
When or If they do make walks longer and even more unachievable than they already are people will wake up and stop rushing and coming in early, as there will be no benefit from doing so.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Postie45 »

Jpro747 wrote: When or If they do make walks longer and even more unachievable than they already are people will wake up and stop rushing and coming in early, as there will be no benefit from doing so.
youd think so, but there are walks in my office that are unachievable yet the posties on those duties come in early for free to make up for it. Some people would rather do this than kick up a stink, they just want an easy life, do their job and come home, which is understandable to a certain degree.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Jpro747 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Yamr1 wrote:And they want to make the walks longer eventually

Lol hope some high up management is reading this

There trying to cripple us
I wonder if it's as a result of PDA actuals. If they've seen loads finishing earlier than their official finish time around the country (irrespective of how many have cut corners or come in early for free) then they've probably decided that overall there's scope to make all walks longer
When or If they do make walks longer and even more unachievable than they already are people will wake up and stop rushing and coming in early, as there will be no benefit from doing so.
Judgling by a number of threads they'll probably just come in even earlier for free and will probably rush round their walks even faster
bardeh
Posts: 42
Joined: 01 Feb 2019, 23:04
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by bardeh »

norris9 wrote:Newbie here....

Was worried my legs would be so rekt that I would have to phone in and say 'sorry boss - My legs r farked'.

They r rekt, but not that rekt.


Everyday since day 1 my legs are fatigued so much that after doing my round I am walking around the house like a decrepit old man. Muscle ache/soreness/tightness + my feet feel like they have been pounding concrete (which they have).

I guess going from no exercise to 4 hours walking a day is a bit crazy, and the max rest time between a round has been 2 days. I think I probably need to have a week off, let my body totally recover and then maybe this daily inability to walk like a normal human being after my round will go away.

Although I am waking up at 7am, I am totally knackered by 8-9pm and need to go to bed, which sucks.

To the newbies: Have you had the same problem? maybe took at least 4 or 5 days off and that helped you to stop feeling so fatigued in your legs? or are your legs feeling rekt everyday no matter what? What time do you go to bed?

To the veterans: How are you after getting back home from your round in terms of how your legs feel, your ability to walk normally, and how tired you are? What time do you go to bed?
I'm 8 or 9 weeks in and it is getting a bit better. After heavy days I am still absolutely bloody knackered, but anyone in the world would be knackered after walking 10 odd miles while lugging a big heavy bag. If I get home and keep moving, it's not so bad. But as soon as I stop and sit down, that's when the stiffness and muscle-fatigue sets in and once that's happened I'm done for the day.