Newbie here, 30 hours contract....been working 5 weeks now....I have no clue how much break time I am entitled to. Maybe it's in the contract somewhere. I haven't asked anyone at work what I am entitled to and no manager or workplace coach or any Postie mentioned it to me. No Postie on any walk I have been on takes breaks....
Recently, the round I have been doing has taken me past my contracted hours, even went in 10 mins early today and we finished 20 mins past my contracted hours. So that's 30 mins extra I have been working for free....and without breaks. I assume my break entitlement is probably 30-40 minutes. If so, then today I have effectively worked 1 hour and 20 minutes too much.
Seems this round is longer than the others I have done. I am as fast as I can go now, not sure I'll get much faster. I am generally back to the van at the same time or before my fellow Postie. You could maybe say I have 5-10 minutes break when sitting around waiting for my fellow Postie when I am back to the van before him.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How much break time am I entitled to?
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
How much break time am I entitled to?
Depends on the length of your shift
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
How much break time am I entitled to?
See the Postal Members Handbook here (you will probably find some other 'nuggets' of info in the handbook that will help you too):norris9 wrote:Newbie here, 30 hours contract....been working 5 weeks now....I have no clue how much break time I am entitled to. Maybe it's in the contract somewhere. I haven't asked anyone at work what I am entitled to and no manager or workplace coach or any Postie mentioned it to me. No Postie on any walk I have been on takes breaks....
Recently, the round I have been doing has taken me past my contracted hours, even went in 10 mins early today and we finished 20 mins past my contracted hours. So that's 30 mins extra I have been working for free....and without breaks. I assume my break entitlement is probably 30-40 minutes. If so, then today I have effectively worked 1 hour and 20 minutes too much.
Seems this round is longer than the others I have done. I am as fast as I can go now, not sure I'll get much faster. I am generally back to the van at the same time or before my fellow Postie. You could maybe say I have 5-10 minutes break when sitting around waiting for my fellow Postie when I am back to the van before him.
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ok#p824615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
How much break time am I entitled to?
Nice, supposed to have a 30 minute break.
I guess I don't do much for 10 minutes whilst sometimes waiting for fellow postie. So I should have another 20 minutes more.
So this round is approx 40 to 50 minutes too long as finishing on average 20 - 25 minutes late and missing 20 - 25 minutes break time.
I guess I don't do much for 10 minutes whilst sometimes waiting for fellow postie. So I should have another 20 minutes more.
So this round is approx 40 to 50 minutes too long as finishing on average 20 - 25 minutes late and missing 20 - 25 minutes break time.
-
Cme12
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 19:31
- Gender: Female
How much break time am I entitled to?
Do you not put it down as over time?
My first day others told me make sure i add 30 mins onto my finish time so if i get back 2pm its really 2 30 so i get 45 minutes over time as i start 8 45 and im meant to work 5 hours (25 hour contract). This is usually the case for me get 45 minutes over time a day sometimes more.
My first day others told me make sure i add 30 mins onto my finish time so if i get back 2pm its really 2 30 so i get 45 minutes over time as i start 8 45 and im meant to work 5 hours (25 hour contract). This is usually the case for me get 45 minutes over time a day sometimes more.
-
bardeh
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 01 Feb 2019, 23:04
- Gender: Male
How much break time am I entitled to?
If you're getting back to the office 30 mins after your contracted finish time, why are you not claiming that as overtime? There'll be a sheet there where you can claim it.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32801
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
How much break time am I entitled to?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
How much break time am I entitled to?
Time spent waiting on your partner is not break time.norris9 wrote:Nice, supposed to have a 30 minute break.
I guess I don't do much for 10 minutes whilst sometimes waiting for fellow postie. So I should have another 20 minutes more.
So this round is approx 40 to 50 minutes too long as finishing on average 20 - 25 minutes late and missing 20 - 25 minutes break time.
Really you should go and give him a hand or do a parcel or two though instead of waiting but even if you have nothing to do - its not your break.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
kingdazzler
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Mar 2019, 13:29
- Gender: Male
How much break time am I entitled to?
just ask one of the posties who have been there a while, they'll put you right. personally i don't take a break because what you put in has to come out if you get my meaning. i just book the break time as o/t at the end of the shift. don't quote me on this but i think the breaks are up to 5 hrs = 20 mins, 5-7 hrs = 30 mins, over 7 hrs = 40 mins.
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
How much break time am I entitled to?
I asked a FT postie when I first joined, the reply was 'your not entitled to a break' 
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
How much break time am I entitled to?
Ok in theory until Big Brother starts using PDA actuals - they'll query why you've booked 20 mins at the end of the day whenkingdazzler wrote:just ask one of the posties who have been there a while, they'll put you right. personally i don't take a break because what you put in has to come out if you get my meaning. i just book the break time as o/t at the end of the shift. don't quote me on this but i think the breaks are up to 5 hrs = 20 mins, 5-7 hrs = 30 mins, over 7 hrs = 40 mins.
you've logged off your PDA/'gone static' in the office. They won't care that you didn't have a break before you went out or didn't 'go static' out on
the walk for 20mins. They'll assume you took your break - because that's what you're supposed to do!! and then you'll lose
the 20 mins OT. Take you're break - give your shins a rest then you might not get shin splints as you've referred to previously!!!